PDA

View Full Version : How to Get Started in Compositing?

djdiesel34
01-12-2005, 07:32 AM
It has been my dream for a long time working on visual FX on feature films and after dabbling with 3D animation, Ive decided to pursue a career in compositing. I've been playing around with After Effects lately and have been enjoying it, but I want to take it to the next level.

So Ive enrolled in a class at UCLA extension in after effects. However I wonder if I am just wasting my time if FX companies use programs like Flame or Shake. I figure that I could use my knowledge that I gain in After Effects as a starting point to get me going and get a portfolio going to move into Shake. Does that make any sense? Or should I try to jump right into Shake at a school like Gnomon? Any advice or help you could give me would be greatly appreciated.

DiGiman
01-13-2005, 06:38 PM
Start using Shake as soon as you can.
Until then learn everything Photoshop and After Effects you can. Just remember, compositing is an art not a software package. Shake just has a very elegant way of going about it.

pemy
01-19-2005, 01:15 PM
First you con read:
The art and Science of Digital Compositing
by
Ron Brinkmann

by pemy

CGTalk Moderation
01-20-2006, 10:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.