PDA

View Full Version : Final Touch - Realtime render retouching in C4D!

Tank_3D_Attack
01-12-2005, 01:24 AM
Final Touch is coming soon!

Final Touch is a revolutionary new video post module for CINEMA 4D. Creating stunning images directly from CINEMA 4D has never been so easy. By allowing you to easily adjust the look of your images, in realtime, during the render stage, Final Touch gives visual professionals compelling new ways to discover rendered images and achieve the perfect repeatable look for their rendered projects. Unlike conventional post effects, Final Touch will allow you to stop CINEMA 4D's render engine and setup the final touch effect in realtime. Using unclamped high definition image data, direct from the render engine, prevents artifacts and allows lossless perfect image adjustment!

Readers of the 3D Attack magazine will have a chance to win Paul Everett's new plugin "Final Touch" in the upcoming February issue! 3D Attack is going to give away 3 copies of Final Touch for their faithful readers! Make sure you don't miss your chance!

Follow this link for more: http://3dattack.net/3dAttack/viewtopic.php?t=3120

n0rac
01-12-2005, 02:35 AM
Thats one rocking plug.:D

Tank_3D_Attack
01-12-2005, 02:38 AM
You are absolutely right! This one totally rocks http://cgtalk.com/images/smilies/scream.gif It's a must have if you ask me. I have been testing Paul's plugin for a while now and can only say one thing: You will get a darn great plugin for a darn fair price!

Tank

jackb602
01-12-2005, 03:39 AM
You are absolutely right! This one totally rocks http://cgtalk.com/images/smilies/scream.gif It's a must have if you ask me. I have been testing Paul's plugin for a while now and can only say one thing: You will get a darn great plugin for a darn fair price!

Tank

Speaking of price, what will it cost?

Jack

policarpo
01-12-2005, 03:56 AM
Sweetness. Can't wait to see it and use it. :)

Hilt
01-12-2005, 05:09 AM
Looks sweet indeed.

What is that "Layer Mods"-tab exactly? Can you tweak the look of individual objects in that if you have rendered the scene in multipass?

.hilt

tapaul
01-12-2005, 05:23 AM
Final Touch (was tweaker pro)

price be 55 Euro.
You will be able to download the full version for free.
Without a key , the plugin will run with several limitations but will let you fully test drive the tool.

regards

Paul Everett
www.tools4d.com (http://www.tools4d.com)

shakes
01-12-2005, 06:20 AM
looks awesome!

jackb602
01-12-2005, 07:18 AM
Wow, that does sound like a good price! I think this will be huge help to my rendering workflow. Thanks Paul.

Jack

Srek
01-12-2005, 07:40 AM
I had a chance on testing it during development and i have to say it's realy a fantastic tool :)
Cheers
Srek

MrBraun
01-12-2005, 07:55 AM
Really great news !! Well done !! ;)

bonsak
01-12-2005, 08:02 AM
Hope this doesnt get in Pauls way:

http://www.siliconcolor.com/product.html

Its not the same type of product but its not that far apart either.

Regards
Bonsak

rendermania
01-12-2005, 08:22 AM
There's dozens of colorgrading products on the market - Combustion, Lustre, Digital Film Lab, Magic Bullet, color correction tools in Premiere Pro and Final Cut etc. None of them work at rendertime. They are all post processes, so you can only apply them after the fact, not while you're setting up the actual render as this plug does. In practice, it means that you have to judge how you are going to grade in post as you're setting up your render, and hope that you'll actually be able to pull off the grading you have in mind with the rendersettings you dial in. I also haven't seen a colorgrading solution anywhere that can do something like the 'relight' trick this thing pulls off. The ability to tweak renderpasses individually to some extent is a plus as well.

imashination
01-12-2005, 11:15 AM
Im still downloading the video, but just a small note that your website does't fit on a 1280 screen.

Tavy
01-12-2005, 12:02 PM
Hmmm...... I'm viewing it on a 1280 screen just fine.

RickardAx
01-12-2005, 12:39 PM
Hi
I'm just wondering if the changes i make in FT will change the scene or just the rendering?
It would be great to make low resolution renderings and change the light and layer mods and then batch render them over night.
Rickard

tapaul
01-12-2005, 01:47 PM
The basic idea is to render a low res setup version , adjust it with Final Touch , then render full res.It wont be very realtime if you try to adjust a 1600x1200 image :)
Anywhere up to pal size seems to work smoothly.This also depends on your setup of course.So if your running a p3 at 400 mhz , you will have to lower expectations.

Anyway, after the adjustment part , the settings are saved and all following frames will get the same effect.Everything is animatable.

The thing im most proud of in this plugin is the relighting feature.As far as I know , this is a first.
With this , you get a virtual light , which you can reposition in the scene.you get to change change its intensity and color and position.This allows you to relight your already rendered scene , in realtime , its very cool indeed :)

cheers
Paul Everett

RickardAx
01-12-2005, 02:23 PM
Hi Paul
Perfect, then its just what i hoped it would be. Lightning a scene is always time consuming so this can really be a time saver.
Rickard

lllab
01-12-2005, 02:45 PM
when will we be able to buy it? :-)

cheers
lllab
stefan

Thalaxis
01-12-2005, 03:03 PM
price be 55 Euro.
You will be able to download the full version for free.
Without a key , the plugin will run with several limitations but will let you fully test drive the tool.

55 Euro?! Wow.

I guess this is what you've been so busy with lately, eh? ;)

Other3DMaster
01-12-2005, 03:15 PM
55 Euro?! Wow.

Yeah, that is a great price for all this plug seems to do. I am
very psyched about this one. This will be a must have plug.

Thalaxis
01-12-2005, 03:21 PM
Yeah, that is a great price for all this plug seems to do.

Better than I expected, definitely. Not that I'm complaining, mind you...

I am very psyched about this one. This will be a must have plug.

I haven't checked out the videos yet, but it sounds like it will be an even bigger deal than SniperPro.

Now, if only the #$#@& dollar-to-Euro rate weren't so lousy :sad:

tapaul
01-12-2005, 03:42 PM
http://www.tools4d.com/finaltouch/logo.jpg (http://www.tools4d.com/finaltouch/final.htm)

go get it :)

cheers
Paul Everett

tcastudios
01-12-2005, 03:49 PM
Waiting for it! :)

Cheers
Lennart

policarpo
01-12-2005, 03:55 PM
A very cool plugin Paul. Thanks again for making it available as a demo. I really see now how it will improve my workflow.

As always, you totally rock and create tools to make our lives easier.

http://www.policarpo.us/samples/compare.jpg

imashination
01-12-2005, 04:11 PM
Hmmm...... I'm viewing it on a 1280 screen just fine.

http://www.3dfluff.com/files/1280.jpg

Firefox on the left, IE on the right.

:shrug:

tcastudios
01-12-2005, 04:47 PM
Got it! Works like a charm.
Now, is there any possibility for A/B comparison? Like the excellent PictureSpotter of yours where I just drag a line to compere two renders. The thing is that the FT render doesn't show in PictureSpotter (for me or have I missed something), so maybe that would be enough to get working. Or a On/Off preview button.

Thanks for great work.
Cheers
Lennart

tapaul
01-12-2005, 04:49 PM
yes, that would be possible.
I just didnt get around to doing yet.

cheers

Paul Everett

policarpo
01-12-2005, 04:51 PM
Got it! Works like a charm.
Now, is there any possibility for A/B comparison? Like the excellent PictureSpotter of yours where I just drag a line to compere two renders. The thing is that the FT render doesn't show in PictureSpotter (for me or have I missed something), so maybe that would be enough to get working. Or a On/Off preview button.

Thanks for great work.
Cheers
Lennart

An A/B comparison is reallly needed to make this totally the right tool. I found myself having to hit the reset button a lot just to refresh myself of what the actual render looked like.

If it were treated like the A/B comparison in Digital Fusion, that would totally rock. But even a button to Compare (On/OFF) would be nice.

Check out this movie to see what I mean about doing it like DF: http://www.cmivfx.com/i/mov/magiceHourHouse640.mov

Great job though.

policarpo
01-12-2005, 05:04 PM
Sorry...guess I should have checked on Picture Spotter.

Final Touch needs this same functionality. Having such a feature will really make it soar as a workflow enhancing tool.

Cheers.

tcastudios
01-12-2005, 05:15 PM
yes, that would be possible.
I just didnt get around to doing yet.

cheers

Paul Everett

Now that is perfectly alright. As long as I get by 10 tomorrow.
No, sorry (That is actually what my acount gays tells me each time he asks me for papers he needs, and I haven't got it together).

Thanks again for making good tools. I'm shure users will come up with further ideas for later implementation. One from me right now is that the controll might feel a little coarse (by dragging the faders) it is naturally possible to type finer values so its not a biggie really.

Cheers
Lennart

tapaul
01-12-2005, 05:25 PM
ok, I added a horizontal AB overlay slider.

just download the file again and reinstall it.

cheers

Paul Everett

tcastudios
01-12-2005, 05:31 PM

cheers

Paul Everett
Hehe, damn it man!
thanks. Now go and get some rest!

Cheers
Lennart

Tank_3D_Attack
01-12-2005, 05:33 PM
Works just great! Love the new A/B slider and it surely adds to the already great functions within this great piece of plugin!

Tank

Tank_3D_Attack
01-12-2005, 05:57 PM
I just created a new little video with the A/B slider for those who want to have a look at it.
Check this thread: http://3dattack.net/3dAttack/viewtopic.php?t=3120

Tank

policarpo
01-12-2005, 06:04 PM

cheers

Paul Everett
www.tools4d.com (http://www.tools4d.com/)

OH MY GOD! You are the man Paul! Thanks for that!

tcastudios
01-12-2005, 06:21 PM
Sorry for a early report. If sniper is open/active at the time of hitting OK in FT. Cinema died after a looped re-render race between them! :)

Cheers
Lennart

bonsak
01-12-2005, 06:23 PM
There's dozens of colorgrading products on the market - Combustion, Lustre, Digital Film Lab, Magic Bullet, color correction tools in Premiere Pro and Final Cut etc. None of them work at rendertime. They are all post processes, so you can only apply them after the fact, not while you're setting up the actual render as this plug does. In practice, it means that you have to judge how you are going to grade in post as you're setting up your render, and hope that you'll actually be able to pull off the grading you have in mind with the rendersettings you dial in. I also haven't seen a colorgrading solution anywhere that can do something like the 'relight' trick this thing pulls off. The ability to tweak renderpasses individually to some extent is a plus as well.
I know that this is not like regular colorgrading tools,
but i was only trying to point at the fact that theres already an other "color" tool
with the same name :-)

Regards
Bonsak

Jorge Arango
01-12-2005, 06:45 PM
Great tool Paul.

Two minor typos. While the names of all the variables start with a capital letter, "contrast" does not. "Enhancment" instead of "Enhancement".

Three suggestions:

1) A histogram
2) Something similar to Photoshop's "Info" palette.
3) An "undo/redo" for the last control applied

Could you explain what "Depth Darken" and "Depth Brighten" do?

Jorge Arango

tapaul
01-12-2005, 06:56 PM
fixed the sniper conflict. (I hope you can forgive this minor hickup)

grab the new version.

cheers

Paul Everett

tcastudios
01-12-2005, 06:58 PM
Great tool Paul.

Could you explain what "Depth Darken" and "Depth Brighten" do?

Jorge Arango
Just sitting here and trying it out. Its cool it somehow reads the depth info of the scene and i can adjust how bright/dark I want it to be in the back/front of the scene.
Excellent!
Cheers
Lennart

tapaul
01-12-2005, 06:58 PM
>Could you explain what "Depth Darken" and "Depth Brighten" do?

assuming you have depth in your scene.

darken back = less than 0 darkens background , greater than 0 darkens forground
lighten back = less than 0 lightens background , greater than 0 lightens forground

should be easy enough to figure out :)

cheers

Paul Everett

Jorge Arango
01-12-2005, 07:04 PM
>assuming you have depth in your scene.

Yes that explains it all.

Thank you.

Jorge Arango

tcastudios
01-12-2005, 07:09 PM
fixed the sniper conflict. (I hope you can forgive this minor hickup)

Paul Everett

You'll get away with anything for a while... :)

Lennart

tcastudios
01-12-2005, 07:18 PM
Sniper and FT works fine now.
Since you're not asleep yet, a Icon for it would be great to have something visible to click on.

Cheers
Lennart

policarpo
01-12-2005, 10:31 PM
Just a little Before and After animated .GIF in case anyone can't download it or doesn't currently have C4D and just want to see a result.

This plug-in rocks! Thanks so much for your great work!

Sorry about the graininess...the .GIF compressed it. http://cgtalk.com/images/smilies/smile.gif

http://www.policarpo.us/samples/final_touch.gif

lllab
01-13-2005, 11:43 AM
high paul!

great plugin, i tested witht he demo, certainly graet stuff to do here:-)

one thing i am missing or i dont understand: can it do the same as the color mapping plugin, or are the curves the same as photoshop curves? i am not able to get the same quality result by adjusting the curves like i could with the color mapping plugin.
(which still has AA problems)

it would be so graet to have the same controls as the colormapping, or maybe you can help me, if it is already built in in FT.

thanks for this plugin i will buy it soon i guess, exspecially when it is able to do "color mapping thingy"

thanks & cheers
lllab

ps. i guess it should be possible and is just my mistake...

tcastudios
01-13-2005, 12:01 PM
It's amazing how much info there is in the rendering before it gets clamped.
Left dark side is the original low radiocity and the right side all pumped up!

Cheers
Lennart

rendermania
01-13-2005, 12:18 PM
Its a pretty good start I'd say. The colorgrading side would benefit from finer controls a la Combustion, with things broken down by shadows, midtones and highlights, as well as some more numeric controls. A white diffusion/soft diffusion effect would be great as well, but its a definitely a plug with a future.

here's a first split frame test, with the original render left, Final Touch right.

lllab
01-13-2005, 02:35 PM
hi, so i bought the plugin,

very cool indeed, it also seems that it is possible to do similar control like the color mapping plugin. it just needs very tiny adjustments. i think for the curves it could be a little bigger to have more precise controll, no everything is on quite small space.

one question, as far as i understood it should be possible to save the image and reopen it for further adjustment, how can i do that?

cheers
lllab

ps. i found a small problem: when docking the window on my second monitor cinema freezes at the end of the rendering, when the FT window is floating there is no problem.

nhytro
01-13-2005, 06:51 PM
Hi Paul or anyone else that that knows his or her way around the plugin. I downloaded the demo for testing, but after rendering in the picture viewer, I do not get any dialog as mentioned, also, all the settings in the render settings dialog for Final touch are disabled.

All I would like to know is:

1. Does one need the AR to use this plugin?
2. Using the object buffer and a depth pass, can I use this plug in to blur, different objects in the object buffer independently to acheive a sort of DOF?

Thanks

rendermania
01-13-2005, 06:59 PM
you need to turn on the final touch post-effect in render settings, and launch the plugin dialog from the C4D plugins menu. It'll look empty, with just an ok button when you do. not sure if you need to do this to active the plug, but I think you're intended to dock the Final Touch GUI somewhere into your Cinema editor menus.

When you hit render, it should render the frame and activate the control gui at the end to let you tweak the color settings.

Triker
01-13-2005, 07:21 PM
The demo crashes Cinema at the end of a render on my Mac G5 system. Will have to remove some other plugs to see if it is a conflict or ?????

Triker
01-13-2005, 08:13 PM
LOL Tried it again on the same scene and it works fine. Very nice plugin.

tapaul
01-13-2005, 08:58 PM
I put up a 1.07 version , which is a bit more memory freindly.

just download and replace the version you have.

cheers

Paul

umblefugly
01-13-2005, 11:44 PM
It all looks sweet but I cant get it to work.

umblefugly
01-13-2005, 11:46 PM
DOH...helps If I read that its for R9......Its ok Paul you can slap me....LOL:D

bobzilla
01-14-2005, 12:05 AM
Can Final Touch help blend 3D elements with a Quicktime movie in the bg? For instance, if I have a character acting in front of a movie of an environmnet, will it help in blending the 3D elements to look like they are part of the movie, or is that something better suited for something like After Effects?

I know final Touch would have no effect on the bg movie, but I thought maybe it would help match the 3D elements to the movie.

xeno3d
01-14-2005, 01:37 AM
Sniper and FT works fine now.
Since you're not asleep yet, a Icon for it would be great to have something visible to click on.

Cheers
Lennart

This would be nice as well :)

tapaul
01-17-2005, 02:28 PM
Hi all,

I updated FT to version 1.08
This provides a massive reduction in memory usage.

So if you where having any issues rendering large format with FT, youll be pleased to know that this is now fully resolved.

regards

Paul Everett

lllab
01-17-2005, 05:21 PM
thanks paul,

the previous version already worked quite well, will test this on even larger prints:-)

excellent plugin, i couldnt live without it anymore,

thanks & cheers

stefan
lllab

tcastudios
01-17-2005, 06:36 PM
Hi all,

I updated FT to version 1.08
This provides a massive reduction in memory usage.

That's great. I haven't had any problems so far, but.
Would it be possible for you to rename the dloadfile to the correct rev number?
It get's confusing to keep track of which version is which, especially since it still reg as 1.06 on the Console. I experience this from other plugmakers as well and when problem/bugs arise it is easy to revert to an earlier version without guess work.

Other than that, tops!

Cheers
Lennart

CGTalk Moderation
01-20-2006, 09:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.