PDA

View Full Version : instant preview 16:9 footage (on TV)

paul.yan
01-12-2005, 01:20 AM
I know with Premiere/Final Cut, you can playback DV - with either a camcorder or a DV deck, you can get an instant preview directly on an NTSC monitor (TV). This is useful when making edits with 0.9 pixel aspect ratio footage.

I am working with 1.2 pixel aspect ratio (NTSC 16:9 widescreen) footage. Is there any gear, or way to setup the same so I can instantly see my footage black barred on an NTSC monitor? Software previewing is decent, but not great. Anyone?

Aruna
01-12-2005, 04:20 PM
Actually, your footage will still be broadcast at 0.9 pixel aspect. The ratio of the pixel doesn't change for NTSC, because it's fixed.

If I read your question correctly, you want to display a 16x9 image on an NTSC screen with the black bars on it. Given what we know (NTSC resolution is 720x486, 0.9 pixel aspect), we'll make it simpler by correcting it for a PC monitor, just for clarification.

720x486, 0.9 on NTSC monitor becomes 648x486 on a PC monitor (square pixels). 16x9 on a PC monitor is 648x365.

Stretch it back out in X to 720x365 and it'll display correctly on your NTSC monitor. Short answer, reduce your footage to 720x365 instead of 720x486.

paul.yan
01-12-2005, 05:50 PM
Aruna - thanks for the reply! I'm not sure I'm fully comprehending this, however. I am trying to author this video anamorphicly. I do not want to letterbox the film by manually placing black bars cropping a 4:3 NTSC 0.9 PAR image for a 16:9 viewing plane. If I am correct, DVDs automatically correct footage with 1.2 PAR and introduce black bars only when necessary.

Were you talking about letterboxing the video? The more I learn about this stuff, the more confused I am!! Argh :eek:

Aruna
01-12-2005, 06:08 PM
Doh, sorry. I didn't clarify.. When I mentioned reduce from 720x486 to 720x365, That would be to scale in Y, not crop your image.. You'd still retain all the information that is there, so you won't lose any information. So yes, you would be letterboxing.

As far as I know, DVDs have some wierd sort rescaling and resizing algorithm that I'm not familiar with, since I don't do any DVD authoring. Maybe someone with more experience on that end can help?

colt
01-12-2005, 07:28 PM
AFAIK this is something you set in on your monitor. Studio monitors let you switch to 16:9 and some home TV's can do it too. At least I've never seen it done differently.

paul.yan
01-12-2005, 08:20 PM
Darn.. I can't afford to buy one of those studio monitors :shrug: Does anyone know of any special DVD players that have DV IN? That way I could send a video feed through it? Or maybe there's a Sony DVMC-DA2 type unit that would apply the DVD player algorithm?

CGTalk Moderation
01-20-2006, 09:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.