PDA

View Full Version : Suggestion: A section for noobs to CGTalk & CG in general

Tocpe
01-11-2005, 06:48 PM
As you've probably noticed if you've spent any decent amount of time on CGTalk, there are some subjects & threads that keep coming up over and over and over and over... "Should I go to school?" "How much money will I make" "What software is the best" and the list goes on and on. Perhaps, CGTalk should have a special section/forum/what-have-you dedicated for folks that are new to the forum and/or new to CG in general. Kinda like CGTalk with training wheels. And then make sure they know about this special section made just for them.

This area could contain answers to a lot of these common questions and threads. And it could contain alot of the discussions already covering these subjects. It could be an entry point for these folks who are just discovering the depth that CGTalk has to offer.

What do you guys and gals think?

mybutterflyiris
01-31-2005, 08:00 PM
I second the motion. I am new here, and I think it would be very beneficial.

Garma
02-01-2005, 11:36 AM
the reason these threads keep coming up is that those people can't read. The information is all there, they just need to search for it. I doubt that they can find a forum dedicated to new people if they can't even find the search button :shrug:

JDex
02-01-2005, 12:03 PM
How bout this... a forum that is the only forum that they can post (other than WIP and Gallery) in until they have posted 10 times... and each time that the question could have been answered with an incredibly simple search... the nearest veteran member to the newb's location gets to go to their house and beat them with a wooden board. :D

I think it's a fact of life and we're not gonna be able to fix it... however it would be pretty cool if "regular" users would actually read once in a while... if you are going to post a suggestion, aren't you supposed to post a poll, so that the admins can gauge how the membership feels... since 90% of readers don't respond... but are more likely to answer a simple poll question.

:p

Edit: LOL, I thought that Leo had said to post a poll for suggestions in the stickies... I was incorrect, but I know he did say this in one of these damn threads... maybe I should search for it... NAH! I'll just ask if anyone has seen it, and maybe someone else will search for it and report back. :p :D

Garma
02-01-2005, 09:55 PM
Edit: LOL, I thought that Leo had said to post a poll for suggestions in the stickies...

here ya go, and indeed in the sticky, first line :p

http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?t=192412

FUG1T1VE
02-06-2005, 07:48 AM
what if there was a message that pops up reminding you to search the site before you post anything. It would apply for new members only and it dissapears after the first 5 post. or maybe after the user has started 2 threads.

Marc-OlivierBouchard
02-06-2005, 08:09 AM
I'm not sure about a forum for newbies. I don't think established artists would got there very often for the untimely pleasure of being harassed. It would resolve to noobs try to answer noobs. Picture a school with no teachers, only a hundred kids trying to teach themselves to read.

And I don't think more pop-ups is an improvement to anything. I think that if noobs are told in a relatively unpolite way to do a search before posting questions, they get the message. It worked with me.

YahikoYamazaki
02-17-2005, 07:19 AM
I'm not sure about a forum for newbies. I don't think established artists would got there very often for the untimely pleasure of being harassed. It would resolve to noobs try to answer noobs. Picture a school with no teachers, only a hundred kids trying to teach themselves to read.

And I don't think more pop-ups is an improvement to anything. I think that if noobs are told in a relatively unpolite way to do a search before posting questions, they get the message. It worked with me.

the thing seems to be that if i were to post a badly rendered model apple, with bad lighting and all that kind of stuff, i'd probably get more feedback about how i should accept the fact that i am no good at it and tell me all the things that are wrong, rather than how can i fix my picture. a forum for newcomers would have a lower rate of helping, but it would consist of those who feel like, and willing to, help someone new to this subject. the replies would be much more concentrated with helpful tips and such, rather than possible flames.

example:
new guy post in the normal forums: hey guys, look at what i did.
replies: flame, critique, flame, tips, tips, comments.

new guy post in new comers forums: hey guys, look at what i did.
replies: "another new guy, cool", tips from veterans, tips, another new guy's post, tips.
flamers and unhelpful commenters: meh, too lazy to look at the n00bs bad creations. i rather look at the pro's.

those who would actually reply on the new comers forum would be those who are willing to help. rather than those who get annoyed by bad artwork. this is one of the possible outcomes, which i believe we should consider.:D

my 2 cents and a half.

C4PROOF
02-17-2005, 12:13 PM
I totally back the idea of a section for noobs to CGTalk...

Not to mention if established CG users would give feedback or not, this would help out a lot of newcomers, left alone make'm feel more secure in what to do and where to post things without annoying anyone or making a complete ass of themselves.

All beginning is difficult.

Please do not forget that.

Tocpe
02-17-2005, 02:11 PM
those who would actually reply on the new comers forum would be those who are willing to help. rather than those who get annoyed by bad artwork. this is one of the possible outcomes, which i believe we should consider.:D

And maybe we can avoid these kinds of situations: http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?t=171143

jmBoekestein
02-25-2005, 05:19 PM
Why avoid that?!

I loved it, cg pro's I say! LOL, it's either a really fun prank, or people are making a fool out of themselves even when you can't look them in the eye. It's not the worlds end anyway, it's just humans and their pride, I as an alien don't experience it that way. But it's rather amusing looking down on you bipedal weirdo's!

CGTalk Moderation
02-25-2006, 06:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.