PDA

View Full Version : French coast 1765 - Matte Painting

Timser
01-11-2005, 01:47 PM
Hi all,

I have just finished this matte painting. I used various photographs and then painting in photoshop. It took about 8 hours to get it to the desired final quality i wanted. Can you please give me your feedback and comments? Enjoy.

http://www.euro-virtual.com/timadams/Images/Castle_Final.jpg

Timser

NOOB!
01-11-2005, 03:07 PM
everything but the rain looks excellent.

the rain takes allot away from the image,just looks off as if its a filter.

jbradley
01-11-2005, 05:44 PM
Mattepainting.org Day for Night Challenge (http://mattepainting.org/index.php?categoryid=12&p17_sectionid=21)

Shaping up nicely. I'd play with that rain a bit more. It seems to have too much visibility - add some blur and soften up the strokes there.

The moon is looking nice as well, though you may want to work on some of the light play between the moon and the clouds, adding some thickness and working on the play between dark and light in that area (and the reflection on the water).

Cool though. :) Good job.

Timser
01-11-2005, 07:18 PM
Thanks for the comments guys. I have made a few changes since your replys. I added some subtle waves to the see and corrected the moonlight. I also lowered the horizon a little so the perspective works a little better. The image has been updated and uploaded to my site so the link to the image above has changed to the changed version. Any more comments?

Cheers

jbradley
01-12-2005, 04:58 PM
Nice!

A couple more thoughts: If you are going for a realistic matte, you definitely want to start adding in some other color and possibly a bit more detail in the darker areas of the piece.

I love the overcast blue on the scene but it seems overdone, reducing the contrast of the foreground elements and the 'village' and hillside. I thinking breaking up the color scheme some and adding in other color will benefit this piece dramatically.

Specific comments on certain areas of the scene:

Village - definitely more detail. I'd balance out the use of the orange/yellow glows on the castle with lights on building in the town. Maybe find some cool far-away shots of old houses and comp them in there, adding in glow in the windows, etc. I think the village houses are a bit tiny in comparison to the ship - unless that's one big ship. :)

Hillside - color balance. I think adding some green or brown tones would benefit it a lot.

Castle - just details. The windows look a bit out of place with the glow. I think adding in a higher level of brightness where the actual inside form of the window is would help. The contrast on the castle is quite high, so you don't want to lose it in those areas.

Take the comments with a grain of salt, since I'm not sure what you're planning the end result to be. Keep it up... it's looking great!

Timser
01-13-2005, 01:54 AM
Thanks for your comments. I don't understand the part about the village. There is no village in the scene, just the castle. The ground leading up to the shore are rock formations and huge boulder type rocks. Maybe you could draw on the image and type comments to help me out and to explain exactly what you mean. Again, thanks for the comments.

:thumbsup:

CGTalk Moderation
01-20-2006, 08:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.