PDA

View Full Version : Capturing video onto a PC from a Sony Handycam

livatlantis
01-11-2005, 11:30 AM
Hey all :)

I just bought Sony Handycam HC30E for video work, and apparently the software that comes along with it is... well, overy newbie-friendly. I've some video footage in my Handycam's tape, and I want to transfer it onto the computer using the provided USB cable.

I haven't been able to handshake the camcorder with the computer for video transfer, except for those in the Memory Stick duo. I can access stills and videos from there, though.

I want to load it into my PC for editing (haven't decided on the right software, yet).

Anyone got an idea on this? I'd really appreciate any help. :)

marchermann
01-11-2005, 09:52 PM
Video is transferred through the firewire cable (or i.Link in Sony lingo, or IEEE1384(?)). The USB cable is used when you want to utilize your camera as a web cam. You have to install the drivers from the for that cd, though.

You also need software to capture the video. Any editing software does this.

Marc

PS: Technical questions like these might be better asked in the Editing (http://www.cgtalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=124) or Compositing (http://www.cgtalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=76)forums, I think.

livatlantis
01-12-2005, 03:33 AM
Sorry about posting in the wrong forum, I meant to post it in "Editing", but I confused that forum for this one (yep, silly me).

Video can only be transferred using FireWire, then. Oh well, have to get a PCI FireWire controller.

Thanks for your help :)

Kuffi
01-12-2005, 07:21 PM
as for getting a Firewire card. Don't spend a lot of money. I've seen packages costing hundreds of dollars while a $50 FW card can do the trick. Most packages come with Software but I don't know if you need that. If you're using Adobe Premiere and want to capture, simply go to:
File --> Capture --> Movie Capture.

CGTalk Moderation
01-20-2006, 09:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.