PDA

View Full Version : lighting question

yipper
09-06-2002, 08:36 PM
hi all,
just wondering if anyone knows how to create an edge glow around an object that stays only around the egdes even when the object is turned. kinda like the radiation glow around kryptonite. the inherent glow feature in layout is nice but it makes everything all hazy and too soft. ive done some research into plugin shaders such as super glow and edge transparencies, but i was just curious is there a way to do it with a mapping technique. a friend of mine achieved the look quite well in 3ds max by using a falloff map in the reflective channel but this doesnt seem to translate well in lightwave. any thoughts...?

Michael JL
09-06-2002, 08:46 PM
A really old fashioned method would be to take your object, make a duplicate of it in modeller, and flip the normals. Take the version with the flipped normals, smooth scale it up just a little bit. Then give your flipped normals version the desired surfacing/glow for the effect you wish to achieve. Used to use this to create the glow of clouds around the edges of planets.

I'm sure there's lots of different ways to achieve the effect you're looking for.

proton
09-07-2002, 01:53 AM
they use that technique alot in games....pretty neat hack if you ask me:)

DigitalDeuce
09-07-2002, 01:56 AM
an oldie but a goodie.

Sometimes it's the little tricks that get the job done.

I still use that technique.

yipper
09-07-2002, 02:04 AM
outstanding!!! it works. thanks micheal. there has to be a way that doesnt involve so many polygons though...

E_Moelzer
09-07-2002, 02:16 AM
Hello
there has to be a way that doesnt involve so many polygons though...

This may sound a bit stupid, as it is a comon answer but:
You could fix it in the post ;-)
Another way might be to use the "corona"- imagefilter somehow, with incidence- angle- gradient on some channel or something, but I cant give you a clear answer here, you might have to do some experimentation...
CU
Elmar

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 03:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.