PDA

View Full Version : ILM considering move to Linux

Array
09-06-2002, 08:26 PM
Houdini influencing purchase decisions? Hmmm.....

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=5299

ggg
09-06-2002, 08:57 PM
perhaps :)
perhaps their interest in xsi on lunux also had an effect.
Good to see Houdini mentioned, I wonder if that Magee editor is related? ;)

lowkey
09-06-2002, 09:11 PM
nice move ! :thumbsup:

beaker
09-06-2002, 09:16 PM
Yea, ILM allready talked about using linux alot on EP2:
http://www.linuxjournal.com/article.php?sid=6011

They said the big thing they were waiting for was Soft3d to justify their move to linux. Since it is a big part of their pipeline. All the other major software is allready there.

MCronin
09-07-2002, 03:36 AM
The Inquirer was really on the ball with this one.

Here's a couple quotes that make me laugh.

Further, said the attendee, there were suggestions at the show that ILM might move into distributed computing to take up some of the rendering load in the fure[sic].

Is a render farm not the definition of distributed computing? Or does he mean ILM is going to introduce "ILM@home" where people all over the world can use their idle cycles to render part of Episode III as opposed to trying to cure cancer or whatever. :D

ILM, the attendee said, appears to have a large purse to switch to open source, and also appears to be platform agnostic as to whether it's a Hammer or an Itanium which runs the OS.

Being at the forefront of the fast paced effects industry probably forces ILM to turn over their hardware much much more rapidly than almost any other business. I'd be suprised if the hardware used in production at ILM had an average lifespan of more than 30 months. Switching to Linux is going to save them a ton of money in the short and long term, versus paying outrageous prices for hardware upgrades and service contracts with SGI.

Gentle Fury
09-08-2002, 07:23 PM
Is a render farm not the definition of distributed computing? Or does he mean ILM is going to introduce "ILM@home" where people all over the world can use their idle cycles to render part of Episode III as opposed to trying to cure cancer or whatever.

LOL, ILM takes over SETI!!!!! I honestly wouldnt put it past them though!

Grey
09-08-2002, 10:11 PM
Being at the forefront of the fast paced effects industry probably forces ILM to turn over their hardware much much more rapidly than almost any other business. I'd be suprised if the hardware used in production at ILM had an average lifespan of more than 30 months. Switching to Linux is going to save them a ton of money in the short and long term, versus paying outrageous prices for hardware upgrades and service contracts with SGI.

An asside: for the purpose of Economic Evaluation: computer hardware is considered "Disposable Goods" and not "Durable Goods"

playmesumch00ns
09-09-2002, 02:03 PM
Is a render farm not the definition of distributed computing? Or does he mean ILM is going to introduce "ILM@home" where people all over the world can use their idle cycles to render part of Episode III as opposed to trying to cure cancer or whatever. :D

Perhaps theyr'e referring to the microkernel or client/server model?

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 03:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.