PDA

View Full Version : Why can't I get this?

SovereignKnight
01-11-2005, 01:36 AM
I have a model I textured in a scene. Great. Now I want to use that model in a different scene. No problem, I'll just export it and import it into a new scene. Right? So where are my textures? I applied them in the old scene. Why doesn't XSI save them when I export the model? Why can't I get this? Am I stupid somehow?

Strang
01-11-2005, 02:33 AM
if your exporting obj you will need to reconnect i believe.

if your exporting a model, it should be fine as long as all your paths are correct.

i am not infront of XSI atm so i am unsure. just reconnect the texture should be fine

Ablefish
01-11-2005, 06:32 AM
One problem that's happened in the past is you texture a model but it's material is still called "Scene_Material". Then, when you bring it into the new scene, it uses the current "Scene_Material" instead.

SovereignKnight
01-11-2005, 10:12 PM
That was a good suggestion Ablefish, unfortunetely is didn't work.

*Sigh*

Nobody has a solution? Or maybe everyone is just laughing at me 'cause I'm an XSI noob. I love XSI very much, but it seems like sometimes the simplest things are so ridiculously hard when they don't need to be. Why doesn't saving my model save the textures with it? What am I not seeing here?

yog
01-11-2005, 10:38 PM
Are the textures you are using outside of your current project directories ?

If so when you are working on the individual models you can do a SaveAs, and then tick the option "Copy external files under project". This will do a sort of pack n' go function.

JDex
01-11-2005, 10:38 PM
Are you saving them to the "models" directory in your project folder? If not this is the problem... you are breaking the relatiive link to the textures... Generally you should use the Projects Directory structure when organizing your files... textures go in the Pictures directory (sub-directories within are okay), models go in the models directory etc, etc. Maybe this example will help...

Say you model and texture an eyeball that will be used as a start for most of your human characters... and you want it available outside of your current project (Example Project is "My Project"). Go to the Project Manager and create a project called "Lateral Data" (wherever you like, I'll use "n:\" for the example)... This will create a path on your harddrive called...

n:\Lateral Data

This directory will have all of the standard project directories within.

When you export your eyball model from your current scene (n:\My Project\Scenes\happyguy_v001.scn) save it to:

n:\Lateral Data\Models\Eyeballs\eyeball001_v001.emdl

Then from an explorer, copy any associated textures from:

n:\My Project\Pictures\Textures\Eyeball\

to

n:\Lateral Data\Pictures\Textures\Eyeball\

If you do it this way, you shouldn't have any problems (at least in my experience).

SovereignKnight
01-11-2005, 11:06 PM
Let me say I appriciate all of the responses here. You guys really know your stuff. Unfortunately, I followed all of the advice, did a save as with the option checked, created a whole new project with the example given by JDex, and still my model imports with no textures. I'm about ready to give up.

The model is saved in the model directory, the textures are in the pictures directory, and I even set that directory to defult. No dice.

Ablefish
01-12-2005, 02:22 AM
Is it just the textures that aren't coming over? Or the whole material? What version are you working in - it's possibly related to the newer material libraries, though the basic operations you're describing shouldn't be a problem.

Perhaps you're applying your materials to the object, but it's being over-riden by a material on a cluster or something like that.

Have you tried with a new scene and textured a sphere? To see if it's scene related.

CGTalk Moderation
01-20-2006, 10:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.