PDA

View Full Version : Shrek 2 WINNER of the people's choice award

RobertoOrtiz
01-10-2005, 12:48 PM
Quote:
"Up against Disney/Pixar's The Incredibles and Warner Bros.' The Polar Express, DreamWorks Animation's Shrek 2 has walked away with the 31st Annual People's Choice Award for Favorite Animated Movie"

>>Link<< (http://www.animated-news.com/archives/00002909.html)

-R

rebo
01-10-2005, 01:04 PM
Congratulations Shrek 2 , definitely the most fun film of the 3.

indocg
01-10-2005, 01:13 PM
Great shrek2 is the best animation
better than incredibles

but incredibles is not bad either
congrat

Polar express su.ck

lyndon
01-10-2005, 01:45 PM
I'm suprised that The Increadibles didn't win anything...

"No other animated movie won any other award."

I thought The Increadibles was not only the best animted film of the year, but right up there as one of the best ever. Certainly a better story and humour in my opinion.

angel
01-10-2005, 01:56 PM
I'm suprised that The Increadibles didn't win anything...

"No other animated movie won any other award."

I thought The Increadibles was not only the best animted film of the year, but right up there as one of the best ever. Certainly a better story and humour in my opinion.
agree 100%
I certainly enjoyed the incerdibles better and thought it was a much better film altogether.
They will both go to my DVD collection when they come out but one of them will be seen more than the other ;)

jussing
01-10-2005, 02:18 PM
Disclaimer: this is NOT a rant, it's just my opinion, OK! :D

I do NOT understand the concept of Shrek... it's just a sequence of recycled and not very funny gags. Boooring. Incredibles, while not my favourite Pixar, has originality, story and developed characters - Shrek has neither, IMO. :surprised I never understood why people found the Shrek movies to be even mildly entertaining.

That's it, thank you :),
- Jonas

Para
01-10-2005, 02:33 PM
First two minutes of Shrek 2 was really funny (all the references and such) but as a movie it doesn't have as much story as The Incredibles so I'm agreeing with lyndon here.

halo
01-10-2005, 03:12 PM
QED People are idiots.

Dennik
01-10-2005, 03:32 PM
I don't care about public opinion ever. They are all manipulated sheep. They like whatever crap you throw at them. They like reality shows and soap operas. Go figure.... :rolleyes:

SamChen
01-10-2005, 03:37 PM
I think the big test will be the Oscars in february. That's when the industry will chime in. Not to presume anything :scream: but, IMHO Shrek is more of a "general audience" film that appeals to the popular audiences today.... a crowd that likes comedy, sarcasm, gags, pop-culture references, etc... On the other hand, The Incredibles appeals to a large subset of that audience but it is more or less, a subset nevertheless. The box office reflected this.

As for the Academy, they'll probably honor the film that exhibits both technical brilliance as well as the breaking of new ground creatively. You can argue that both films had those qualities.. but one thing I've noticed recently is that more people (including myself and my non-artist friends) have appreciated The Incredibles more during subsequent viewings than Shrek 2. It's as if the gag-dependent Shrek2 gets old and dated faster.. albeit as entertaining as it was the first time. On the other hand, The Incredibles seems to age better and has a chance of being just as fresh years from now. Those are MHO... of course.. but I know many others feel similarly. Again IMHO, The Incredibles actually gets better every time I watch it.

My prediction is that the Academy will vote this way... and not similarly w/ the general public. I wonder how People's Choice is decided anyway? Anyone know? How come they didn't ask me.. or any of the "people" I know? Who were these "people" making these choices?

halo
01-10-2005, 03:53 PM
I think the big test will be the Oscars in february

them being the body that gave titanic a shed load...

jussing
01-10-2005, 03:54 PM
I don't care about public opinion ever. They are all manipulated sheep. They like whatever crap you throw at them. They like reality shows and soap operas. Go figure.... :rolleyes:
True, true, but... people in the CG entertaiment business (CGTalkers included) have to care about public opinion, because we are totally dependent on it. We have to sell tickets or games to stay in the business. The people are the judges. We make products for a market, where the people decide what's hot and what's not. It's like in Gladiator - win the crowd, and you will win your freedom (corny, I know, but it's true).

That's why this freaks me out - I don't wanna make movies like Shrek, I wanna make movies with story and characters. I didn't care for any of the characters in the Shrek movies, least of all Shrek himself. Eddie murphy does a good and funny voice for Donkey, but there's no character, it's just gags. And he won the public award for best animated character - WTF!

*sigh*

And can you believe it, Mike Myers accepted the award for Best Animated Movie! What's up with that! How about all the animators and art directors who spent years on the project? Mind you, I like the technical side of the Shrek movies very much, the look is beautiful. It's the content that's the problem.

opus13
01-10-2005, 04:30 PM
I do NOT understand the concept of Shrek... it's just a sequence of recycled and not very funny gags. Boooring. Incredibles, while not my favourite Pixar, has originality, story and developed characters - Shrek has neither, IMO. :surprised I never understood why people found the Shrek movies to be even mildly entertaining.

your feelings are quite understandable. shrek is a fabrication of marketing power. the first one was novel, and had its time. the second one was specifically designed to sell itself, and nothing more. the script and story successfully pandered to the lowest common denominator of 'entertainee'... that's all.

people ate it up because it was designed to be easily digestible.

lyndon
01-10-2005, 04:48 PM
Again IMHO, The Incredibles actually gets better every time I watch it.
Yeah, thats exactly what i think too. Seems better each time I see it.

I think the big test will be the Oscars in february. That's when the industry will chime in. Not to presume anything :scream: but, IMHO Shrek is more of a "general audience" film that appeals to the popular audiences today.... a crowd that likes comedy, sarcasm, gags, pop-culture references
Yeah I think your right Sam, however, didn't Shrek win the "Best Animated Feature Film" over Monsters Inc. Again Monsters Inc had far more "character" to their characters- it was a more emotionally involving story etc and to be honest I think I prefered Monsters Inc too.

Having said that I still bought both on DVD and will do again this time.

Guess I'll have to wait and see.

Chug
01-10-2005, 05:37 PM
The "Shrek" franchise is to animation movies somewhat like what the "Scary Movie" franchise is to regular movies (especially Shrek 2): it is just designed to please people, using the last year popular references. So, of course, it encounters a bigger success as all the references are still in people's mind, but in a few years, almost half of it will be forgotten, and it won't look as funny as it first was.
But as someone already said, your work has to appeal and convince people, and in the short run, the "Shrek" way seems to work better than the Pixar way.
And that really makes me sad, Shark Tale was the worst animated movie (storywise) I saw this year (I skipped Pole Express).

orion119net
01-10-2005, 10:39 PM
holy crapeth. it doth not deserveth it! "the incredibles" tis much coolereth!

shrek 2 was dumb.

slaughters
01-10-2005, 10:55 PM
I really don't know what is wrong with you people.

Yes, Incredibles was great, and in my opinon should have won BUT just because it was good does not make Shrek 2 crap. Shrek was a funny and entertaining show as well.

Stop thinking in binary.

P.S. If you *hate* the public, then you are getting into the wrong buisness.

mikecarry
01-10-2005, 11:02 PM

Yes, Incredibles was great, and in my opinon should have won BUT just because it was good does not make Shrek 2 crap. Shrek was a funny and entertaining show as well.

Stop thinking in binary.

Well said.

XanderFX
01-10-2005, 11:21 PM
I took my 3 year old son to both Shrek 2 and the Incredibles. During Shrek he asked to leave about 30 minutes before it was over, but with The Incredibles he sat through the whole with his eyes glued to the screen.

Its been a month since we saw it and he still talks about it I haven't heard a mention of Shrek 2 and he hated Sharktale.

Personally I found Shrek 2 to be stale overall with a few moments of fun, like Puss n Boots and When the secondary characters house sitting and coming to the rescue. You got to love Pinocchio in a thong.

Cheers!

jussing
01-10-2005, 11:31 PM
Grr, I've changed my mind and deleted my post. Too much food for flame wars, and no-one benefits from that.

I just think this statement was a tad mean-spirited, and not very fair:

I don't know what people you're accusing, for what, or why. But nevermind, this thread is about the awards, not us.

That's it, ciao,
- Jonas

My Fault
01-11-2005, 12:24 AM

Stop thinking in binary.

Just because someone hates Shrek 2 and loves Incredibles doesn't mean they are thinking in binary. I didn't like the film strictly on it's own merits. I never laughed out loud, only an occasional smirk. Shame because I think the animators did a great job, but that didn't save the film for me. IMHO the people are just wrong on this one and they should be ashamed of themselves :D

SamChen
01-11-2005, 01:57 AM
IMHO the people are just wrong on this one and they should be ashamed of themselves :D
Well.. there is no wrong or right here. It's merely a reflection of what the "people" like these days. It's no wonder TV is the way it is today. No surprise really. This is a gross generalization, but it's kinda like comparing fast food to gourmet food, pop music to classical music. They're all valid, but they serve different purposes. I guess fast food won in this case.. and in many cases.

So that leads me to the unanswered question of who these "people" are that decide the People's Choice?

Bentagon
01-11-2005, 10:04 PM
I've read a tiny little article about it in the newspaper today, and it said that the results came from over 21 million e-mail votes.

- Bentagon

asparapani
01-11-2005, 10:38 PM
That's very disappointing that Shrek2 won the people's choice award. There were better more original films that should have won that.

My Fault
01-11-2005, 10:51 PM
Well.. there is no wrong or right here.
Yeah, I was totally kidding on that they should be ashamed of themselves. Just because I vehemently disagree with their choice doesn't mean they are wrong.

DigiLusionist
01-12-2005, 04:51 AM
I enjoy "Shrek 2." And I see the damned thing at least once or twice a week. That and "Elf," with Will Ferrell. My twenty-two month old loves those two movies.

If we had "The Incredibles" DVD, though, that's probably all he'd watch. He sat through the whole thing at the theater (which was amazing). He has a Mr. Incredible tee-shirt which he wants to wear all day every day. We couldn't pry him out of it to bathe him and launder the shirt. So we found a Dash tee-shirt. Now what does he do? Wears them both, and won't take them off...

As for Shrek 2, I notice new things about it each time I leave my office for a break and it happens to be playing. It was very well made, and yes, has topical / timely references, but that doesn't bother me. It was 'entertaining,' and that's what counts.

To compare it to another movie or franchise, even of the same genre, doesn't change the fact that it is what it is. And, in this case, it's a schaltzy good time that isn't intended to be taken that seriously (story-wise).

CGTalk Moderation
01-20-2006, 10:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.