PDA

View Full Version : Animation:my Showreel

skunk184
09-06-2002, 03:41 PM
Hello All,

Ive finished uni, but im wondering if ANYONE is gonna employ me as an animator.....I really dont want to go back to knocking my nuts off on a building site but i am runnig out of time.........

Really interested to know what you all think.....dont worry about hurting my feelings just want some honesty!!!

Well here is my Showreel....12.4mb MPEG

http://www.zen8031.zen.co.uk/showreeforweb.mpeg

cheers

Craig

nemesis
09-07-2002, 12:53 AM
Hi. Ok,first of all, i must apologize for my english, hope you understand.
Some modest thoughts that came to my mind when I watched your reel (without music).
- Work more with the hands, they are doing nothing, use them to make some overlapping action. The famous wave.
- I would use other timings for those walkig cycles, above all the sad and the sneak. They doesnŽt fit very well with the mood of the character.
- Everything is arriving at the same time. Make the arms arrive later than the legs.
- Ok, I leave you rest. Well, only one more. Walking cycles and choreographies are fine, but If I were you IŽll add some "acting" animation, showing that you know how to express feelings without words. I just love that.
But hey, good stuff, you are on the right way. Keep on working.:thumbsup:

John Lee
09-07-2002, 02:44 AM
Hi craig

Hey man well done. You got some good stuff in there! I like the way you kept your reel striaght forward and focued it on character animtion!!! But i agree, you would have to do some acting animation! I actually attampted to do this myself. If you want to check it out take a look!! It's not the best animation!! And it's not as easy as it sound!!!

.MPEG (1.2meg)
http://www.lemon-tea.com/john_avi/Ted.mpg

.MOV (2meg)
http://www.lemon-tea.com/john_avi/Ted.mov

Keep it up!!

Neolee

skunk184
09-07-2002, 01:19 PM
thanks for your comments.....

.......i will try to make some acting animation and will defiantely put some hand movements in this next piece aswell.........

Neolee: I like your work man,you seem to be getting the hang of this animation stuff :thumbsup: ....and like you say ..its certainly not as easy as it looks....

and by the way ..you were an extra (which one were you) in the league of gentlemen...that is so cool as it s the best thing ever to hit our tv screens....this is a local forum for local people, theres nothing for you here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

cheers

Craig

John Lee
09-07-2002, 02:17 PM
hey craig!!

have you seen series 2??? I was the trainee store detective in the store with Mr frost The chinese guy on the right walking down the Alsle !!!!!!! When he steels the spoons i was on screen for about 3 mins!!! I was only a small part!!!

hey man thank for the compelment!!! But i still have alot to learn!! Are you from the Uk?

Neo

p.s Nice quote by Bruce!!! He is a legend!!!

ed209
09-07-2002, 02:22 PM
From that reel you should be able to find a job doing video game animation. Expecially since you know how to use biped. I'd clean up the cycled walks a bit. Watch the arms!!! All in all though it's better then allot of animation you see being passed off as a demo reel. Keep at it skunk184, email and send those reels out until you get a bite. In the mean time keep plugging away on new projects to improve your skills as an animator...and post your animations to have them ripped apart by your peers. They'll look all the better for it.

skunk184
09-07-2002, 03:21 PM
hello again,:wavey:

neolee: hi man, i have series 1 and 2 on DVD....i just watched you a minute ago..........thats quite a big part man...i thought i was gonna have to pick you out of a crowd:scream: I live just outside London UK at the moment.............Is that Messiah you are using?
Lucky man if you are....

ed209:its very nice to get positive feedback from a pro like yourself...your work is great .....I will clean them cycles up...i did them all in a day....a bit of rush as i had no cycles on my reel;)

cheers

Craig

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 03:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.