PDA

View Full Version : Render question

Maxx
09-06-2002, 03:10 PM
If anybody's bored enough (or just terribly nice enough) to do me a favor - I've got a scene posted at http://mdesigns.home.mindspring.com/watch.zip
that, for some odd reason, locks up LW 7.5 every single time I try to render it. Could somebody please pull it down and see if it renders on your system? I find that if I change the Key light to a Spotlight instead of an Area light, it works just fine. Altho' area lights render fine in other scenes. Just not this one.

Anyway, I'd appreciate the help. I've already got the product rendered and the customer's happy, it's just kinda freaking me out that it doesn't work now.

TIA

Wesball
09-06-2002, 03:23 PM
I downloaded it but the object and images werne't included.

Have you tried reinstalling LW.... or maybe re-adding your plugins?

Maxx
09-06-2002, 03:31 PM
Okay, I forgot to add the objects and images. Give me just a second and I'll put up a full archive.

Must have more coffee.
Thanks for taking a look.

Maxx
09-06-2002, 03:43 PM
Dumb mode (hopefully) off. I've put up a full archive - two objects, three images, one scene. If anybody can give this a shot, I'd really appreciate it.

P.S. - thanks for trying to take a look, Wesball. If you've got a couple more extra seconds.... And actually, I did just re-install last week. The scene was built since then, so maybe one more time is in order?

Thanks.

Again, http://mdesigns.home.mindspring.com/watch.zip

Facial Deluxe
09-06-2002, 04:52 PM
Render this, but some metal reflect plug is missing
http://mapage.noos.fr/olivier.jeannel/watch.jpg

Maxx
09-06-2002, 04:55 PM
Thanks for taking the time. Looks like it rendered okay with the area light - I'll have to figure out what I've got going wrong on my system.

Neil_Campbell
09-06-2002, 05:04 PM
You've got some real render hogs in there - BRDF, area shadows, and reflections.

Trying reducing the raytrace depth - gives decent results with 2 bounces, but 16 bounces (as per your scene) slows the render to an absolute crawl

HTH
Neil

Facial Deluxe
09-06-2002, 05:05 PM
Just an idea, but perhaps was it because of the plug....

Maxx
09-06-2002, 05:18 PM
Neil - Yeah, I know I'm not exactly optimizing this for speedy rendering... but I often find that the BRDF shader and raytraced refelctions helps the metal look ... real for lack of a better term. As for the area light, that was really just an experiment to see what kind of effect the light quality would give to the render. I'll try it out with the reduced raytrace depth - I don't usually use Area lights, so I'm not real sure how much that impacts things.

Facial - I've actually tried it without the plug-in on both systems here, and it still froze up solid. I think my computers are just pissed at me....

Thanks for the suggestions and help guys and gals!

dies-irae
09-07-2002, 08:23 AM
hey!
i think i saw that watch somewhere before :):):)

(why are we swiss known only for watches and chocolate?... we have a lot more!! for example... ehr...like....uhm... there's got to be something more!!!)

anyway, renders without any problem for me too...try changing the segment memory for your scene (it shouldn't change much, but sometimes it just stops crashing, don't ask me why...) try rendering in several segments, perhaps the lighter workload...

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 03:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.