PDA

View Full Version : Parts Question

wgreenlee1
09-06-2002, 11:02 AM
Whats is it useful for exactly?

Is it like for instance say:
You have a character,
And for when you are going to place bones,
You could name a specific region say like a forearm these polys are called 'Forearm'.
Then when you go to place skelegons within the character when applying weights you could select the 'part'(Forearm) to be sure you select only the polys wanted?
That way even if the area had differant surfaces you could use 'Part' selection for that area specifically or am I getting the use wrong here?

Another question....

When useing this (parts) way of selection would it come in handy for export in wavefront .obj format?

Thanks in advance!:cool:

proton
09-06-2002, 01:42 PM
I use parts when I want to select things fast without having to have it be a seperate surface....

DigitalDeuce
09-06-2002, 02:12 PM
Absolutely. Also, there are some surfacing techniques that use parts. Other plugins, like Sasquatch and Motion Designer can use those part selections.

It really is a cool tool.

Not sure about export -- I stay in LightWave.
:D

proton
09-06-2002, 04:02 PM
Deuce to the information rescue :bounce:

DigitalDeuce
09-06-2002, 05:34 PM
ooooh!!

Moderator Proton !!!

:applause: :applause: :applause:

proton
09-06-2002, 05:44 PM
hehe....that's cool!

wgreenlee1
09-07-2002, 04:58 AM
Ok,so its mainly selection tool.Thanks

:bounce:

twidup
09-07-2002, 06:14 AM
its mainly for selection, but like Deuce said, there are several plugins that use Part Groups as well.

Example, say you are making a skirt for your hot little anime chick(sorry girls) With part groups, you can make 3 seperate MD pieces, but only have to use one surface(way easier than trying to match the surfaces as a whole.

Make the belt/waist part something like Skirt_Fixed, that way it wont move, then make alternating vertical poly strips, name one light and one heavy, then set your MD settings, this allows you to manipulate the controls a little more in MD.

Sasquatch, Napalm, Impact 3, Pyro, SockMonkey, and others all use part groups differently.

Selection note, you can also use colored wireframes for a selection set too.
Small note, Polygons can only belong to ONE Part Group, but Vertices can belong to more than one Point Selection Set

-Todd

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 04:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.