PDA

View Full Version : Speed modeling sessions - post your topic suggestions !

mv
01-08-2005, 11:13 AM
If you have any idea for cool speed modeling topics, just post them there!
thank you.

KolbyJukes
01-09-2005, 07:06 PM
demons
armor/helmets - something hardsurface
interior mouth (teeth, gums, tongue)
comic characters heads (batman, superman, spiderman, hellboy etc) maybe give em 5 hours.
feet (I think this was done)
ears

gruvsyco
01-09-2005, 09:52 PM
Cheesey B movie scarey creatures - Like werewolfs, frankenstein, vampires, creature from the black lagoon.

Pick 2-3 animals and morph them into one creature.

If you did something a little more vague like Themes on Ancient Japanese Warriors, it might open it up so that people that aren't so into organics might be able to get in with swords or something.

StephanD
01-10-2005, 03:02 PM
Wonders of the ancient world!

ambient-whisper
01-10-2005, 09:08 PM
how about we do a really quick type of session where the focus is on interestingly shaped beings. it doesnt have to be high poly. actually the focus would be to keep it low poly and be rather interpretative. ( unless you want to use Zspheres and then go wild with some brushing ) what thinks you?

this way we could experiment with a number of weirdly shaped beings, instead of making just one over 3 hours or so....

Fede
01-14-2005, 09:15 PM
Hey ambient-whisper, i really like that last idea, could be very fun.

A nice mix of organic and mechanical models should be sweet as well as they have different aproaches to modeling.

Look foreward to this.

ambient-whisper
01-15-2005, 12:09 AM
Hey ambient-whisper, i really like that last idea, could be very fun.

A nice mix of organic and mechanical models should be sweet as well as they have different aproaches to modeling.

Look foreward to this.

the session has been started. you can go here to join. :)

http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?t=201007&page=1&pp=15

cheers.

Telemaco
04-02-2005, 08:46 AM
Cameras
Swords
Glasses
Spaceships
Broken ship
Spectacular stairs
Cathedral roof
Rings
Car pieces
Low poly dinosaurs
Puzzles
Bottles
Flowers
Bikes
Phones
Shoes
Walls
Eiffel-like things
Lego
model your home fachade
houses for cartoon
people for a far view
books
the tower
liquids

DeeVad
04-10-2006, 09:38 PM
" Abstract Modern Art Sculpture "
( could be a great subject to see abstract shape )

JTD
04-11-2006, 08:03 PM
Prom dress. Remember trying to see what's behind them? Well now this will force you to actually look at one.

RiKToR
04-13-2006, 04:29 AM
I think ancient architecture is a difficult yet rewarding test of skill.

Rod Seffen
04-14-2006, 05:11 PM
I think this whole idea is pretty stupid unless there is some sort of structure to it.
A far better method than the current 'post a picture of a model and say "I did this in x minutes - honest!", woud be to have a hard limit of say, one hour, and for people to post an hour long video capture of the entire session. That way people can download and watch the modeling sessions and learn from others techniques, so this whole exercise is actually wothwhile.
There are plenty of free file hosts on the internet these days, so bandwidth is not a problem, plus wiht xvid compression and winrar, you can get a one hour 800x600 video capture down to 10mb at acceptable quality.

wind27382
04-16-2006, 04:16 PM
when i first started to model what helped me to improve was taking just a sphere and trying to create a number of modelsform it. such as monsters, planes, etc. i think that is would be a good challenge becouse it only takes a few hours to do.

inkyspot
04-16-2006, 04:30 PM
LIke Rodins' "Thinker", or that tall statue of the naked guy with the fig leaf, Maybe the sphinx, our quick reditions of thiose would be challenging and cool.

cwith
04-17-2006, 06:01 AM
You could do some catchy ones too, like speed model everything on your desk or something like that.

madmenno
04-23-2006, 01:46 PM
Why not having a couple of speed modeling sessions to create a scene in the end? Like making a stage for a band. First the instruments giving some time to model 4 or more instruments. Then the stage and as this forum realy impresses me everytime i vissit it's probably no problem to model some rockstars or some also. And in the end everyone posts his scene.

You can do all kinda scenes like modern/classic interiors. Or exteriors like an airforce base or maybe even end up with a galactic battle scene with fighter craft, rockets flying, big space stations and meteors.

Each model should have it's own timelimit based on the difficulty.

I think this would be realy fun, you can end up with a great looking scene without to many modeling hours. Only thing is.... it won't be modeling alone anymore. If you need more ideas.... i got lots.

greets

XYZRGB
04-30-2006, 02:24 AM
Its soooo much harder to create someone beautiful vs. something ugly like a monster.

I really have respect for those of you that can create something beautiful in the same time that it takes others to just make monsters.

Just my one half cent = Beautiful people done in CG ( Models , actors ... your girlfriend )

Taron333
05-14-2006, 10:36 AM
Is this thing still going or is it closed completely? I just saw it and though how fun that would be! Sorry that I'm too late... or "if" I'm too late?!?

If not, let me know...sounds like fun! :bounce:

bobbers
05-15-2006, 02:44 AM
Computer would be a cool idea (just the case.. cool case mods etc.)
Monitor's would be fun

MT-Cup
05-29-2006, 08:21 PM
Suggested topic: telephones

telephones have come in so many different shapes over the years and in different countries. Remember the donut phone from the 60's? Quick, low poly, but yet attention to detail.

ahven
05-31-2006, 08:08 PM
Household kitchen items like:

pan
kettle
mixer
microwave oven
"moulinex"
fridge

Fruits
fruit peels
potatoes
onion
meat

Happy Trees
06-07-2006, 01:30 AM
I think this forum is going along the lines of the daily sketch group.

Lets take some cues from an older wiser forum section.

Someone will have to be in charge of posting a new topic every day.

I dont know if making this really structural would be a good idea such as today we make a pencil.....

But then again this cant exactly be as loose as the daily sketch group because well for more global topics things we would have to construct whole scenes.

I think a ballance of both would be good.

Toppics like model an actor or celebrity (I think someone mentioned this allready) but not narrowed down to any specific one.

Or toppics like the mixture of creatures(the current one).

Also make challenges for weapons and machines
Those can be split into lots of fairly vague categories

Swords, guns, futuristic weapons, armor (also futuristic primitive modern or something completely bizarre.

Portraits of people we know (everyone has some of those)

Just some ideas.

As for taking cues from the older forums.

Maybe tally the votes for the best model and have a model of the week type of thing.

Anatomy studdies would be nice to but I think that wouldnt be very productive in this forum as they may require more time to get what you need out of them.

Basicaly the people who know anatomy would be able to dish things out in less then an hour but people completely unfamiliar with it would spend many hours struggling.

But hey I could be wrong.
All I know is that this forum is going to be great for the modeling comunity.

Ive been waiting a long time for something like this.

Low comitment, flexible time, good practice.

Lets help this forum grow.

HellBoy
07-25-2006, 12:38 PM
Hi guys

I too am really interested on this. How about KingMob takes the same role as RobertoOrtiz over at daily sketch forum, we post suggestions and kingmob picks one, and we have something to speed model. Then there's weekly vote on the topics that took place on the week before. I reckon people will participate as they do in DSF.
Some of the rules adapted from DSF, hope it isnt Trademarked :D

---------------

You have NO TIME LIMIT to do your models. IF you go beyond the assigned time limit , you have to post WHATEVER you have done after the time has expired.
Post only your FINAL piece on this thread, based on the topic on the thread.
Only final pieces can be posted on the thread. They must have been done AFTER the topic has been announced.
RESOLUTION : The images can have any aspect ratio up to 800 x 600
They can be done on any 3D application.
Your models don't have to be placed in a scene or textured.
If you wish, you can add a brief text description about your piece.
You can post an entry at anytime for the topic presented on this thead BEFORE the voting thread for THE WEEK has been posted.
The artist also has to post total length of time, polycount, texture plates (if used) and program used.
Any piece caught breaking the rules will be taken off the thread.
The topics will be picked at random from the list on the TOPICS thread >>LINK<< (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=200390)
(The author will be given credit). So guys keep them coming.
good luck

---------------

Most of my ideas has been taken, my main interest is to see this undergo.

hope I'm not sounding too cocky :buttrock:

LambentDawn
07-28-2006, 09:50 PM
Why not having a couple of speed modeling sessions to create a scene in the end?

Each model should have it's own timelimit based on the difficulty.

greets

I really like this idea, I think it's a lot of fun, a seperate part, with an end result, all timed, we could even do whole scenes, like basic enviorment- the background, character modeling-
and then maybe one more speed session to take the two things and bring them togeather in one nice, just need materials and lighting setup.

^^ but just making random models is good for me too. I have a lot of fun doing that.

other suggestions-
creatures from the deep
creatures from a higher plane
dinosaurs/dragons
mythology (any, could specify egyptian or greek)
inanimate objects made animate
plants or plant creatures

Imagus
08-08-2006, 03:11 PM
I really like the idea of having a specific topic to help focus energy and creativity for speed modeling sessions. I think a DSG/UGAC-like structure with one topic per week (mentioned in the forum's sticky), is a good idea, with one member in charge of maintaining the challenge threads and a couple of other members able to fill in if neccessary.

I'd be happy to step into the role of topic selection, maintenance, etc., but there are many on this forum far more experienced than I in the area of modeling, so I would defer to them.

Also, keeping the original speed modeling thread alive is a good idea, for anyone who just wants to model without worrying about specific tasks and time limits.

Rough Ideas: (initial challenge parameters)

- Weekly topic thread, with subject, time limit and challenge period.
- Optional polygon count limit. (though this may encroach on UGAC a bit, most UGACs have a one-month time limit)
- Subjects can be vague or specific, and time limit should reflect the complexity of a specific subject, or help define the parameters of a more vague one.
- Separate "submission" thread for each week's challenge.
- Final post to the submission thread should show progress made up to the end of the time limit. However, continuation of modeling and texturing can be shown in the model's WIP thread, up to the end of the one-week period. (of course, the modeler is more than welcome to start a WIP thread in the 3D WIP forum as well)
- A separate "topics" thread for suggestions for upcoming topics
- Optional "Speed Models of the Week" judged arbitrarily at the end of the one-week period, and posted in either the submissions thread or the topic thread.

Eventual Possibilities: (once things get rolling)

- One-a-day mini speed modeling challenges, very simple, with very short time limits
- Addition of separate optional speed texturing component, with its own time limit

Hope this makes sense... mv actually mentions the weekly format in the forum's sticky, the above just expands on the concept a bit. :)

-= Imagus =-

Sneakybunny
11-06-2006, 10:40 PM
Are we aloud to use ref? or its off a memory type of speed modeling?

My suggestion is:

kids toys as a topic

is some one can clearifiy i'll let my modeling renders loose.
Sweet

cio Jay

Taron333
11-06-2006, 10:48 PM
There's life returning to this thread? HAH! Or did I simply miss something in the meantime?

Anyway, yeah...I can't wait to have time again to do some quick models!

Zbrushing ok, too?

Anyway, would be fun to bring this back to life, OR, if it has been alive all along, I'd love to join in! :bounce:

erilaz
11-14-2006, 10:03 AM
New life would be sweet.

chuquito
11-29-2006, 02:09 PM
Hi, just a propusal, but it could be interesting to perform a quick model based on medical scientific aberrations, and combinations of misfortune, etc in a Gigeresque way (based on the swiss artist http://www.hrgiger.com/frame.htm)
It could be interesting to see what we came up with, eventually swap models and see what comes out?
Cheers
M.

ZaneV
12-08-2006, 12:01 AM
Hi,

So is the moderator following this thread... or is anyone? I think it would be really good getting some weekly speed challenges going, something along the line of Roberto's weekly sketch setup... perhaps one topic a week and a vote at the end of each week... i don't know but at least get something going.

Looking forward to a weekly challenge

ZaneV

grafixsuz
01-27-2007, 11:09 AM
I thought of a few tricky ones that will test you guys and girls:

sphere
cube
pyramid
ooh, ooh and one of those dang dounut shaped things, ohh what do you call it???

LambentDawn
01-27-2007, 02:07 PM
I am not sure wether you are trying to be funny, or whether you're just being a smart ass. Instead of making fun of people, why don't you offer some real advice Mr.Veteran?

chuquito
01-27-2007, 03:06 PM
I agree, is that an acute comment? a smart ass (not so smart actually) comment?

Mavmaramis
01-28-2007, 12:55 PM
I have a couple of suggestions.

1. Crumlin Viaduct (maybe not exactly speedy). For photographic references see:

http://www.crumlinviaduct.co.uk/photo.htm

I attempted to construct this - using an electricity pylon as a base for the piers but didn't get very far.

2. The Tron tank (the lightcycles have been done to death), designed by Syd Mead

I have also done one of these but unfortunately I do not have a picture of one available on the web.

LambentDawn
01-28-2007, 09:58 PM
that viaduct thing looks pretty interesting. thank you for the suggestion.

Xtrude
05-16-2007, 02:11 AM
I really like speed modeling forums, and believe them to be a valuable learning resource...

Perhaps the creation of group object threads... like kitchenware, houseware, hand tools, power tools, art supplies, sporting goods, electronics, yard goods, transportation etc... and leave the threads open so that all can just come in, view some cool stuff, then go off and model something for others to do same, view and model... yada yada.. :D

spray
11-19-2007, 05:57 PM
How about re-creating old horror movie posters, like Scanners, Escape from New york, Zombie and so on. Modeled just like they were illustrated in a timely manner.

chuquito
11-19-2007, 06:10 PM
Getting somko graffitti and or stenceling as a staring point?

Shadowplay
03-13-2008, 02:50 PM
- a deadly snake

- an ancient instrument

- design a lightsaber

doodlerboy
07-11-2008, 04:55 PM
Buildings are something that's kind of needing alot of details in them, What would everyone here suggest I do for modeling buildings? They don't need to be Low poly but I definitley don't need to model high Poly's either. Just any thoughts? Any online tutorials either?

nethstar
07-12-2008, 03:51 PM
not sure if anyone has mentioned any of these ones:

- A steam train from the 1930's era (Or Freight train)
- A Game console or Just a games Console Controller
- Musical Instruments
- Spy Gadgets
- A specific landmark (Eiffel Tower/Sphinx/London Eye/Big Ben/The White house etc etc)

hope those seem like relatively decent topics.

smith3drender
08-06-2008, 09:10 AM
Hi all new to the forum, finally decided to sign up to the site.

Right for speed modelling here's something I threw together. The lighter and can took half hour each and altogether in the scene took 2 hours to model and texture. The basis of this scene is really just to play with various materials such as steel, glass and plastic.

The modelling is in edit mesh (i prefer it to poly)
I will try and upload a jpeg with wireframe when I get back home in couple days.
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c60/minifreak86/parttime.jpg

OOPPPS! just noticed this should have been on the generic speed modelling thread.

Senseicapi
11-26-2008, 08:47 PM
What happened to this thread?? is it still going or who we have to convince to get something like the Sketch of the day, I know lots of people want to do something like that, including myself.

It would be cool to have topics and timing, maybe 1 or 2 per week, a bit more organized.

Any moderator willing to step up and take this ideas to live?

Digitool
12-14-2008, 04:56 AM
It does seem as though the speed modeling threads have slowed down. Shame really. I could really use some speed modeling to build some motivation to participate in the mini challenges and such.

Anybody willing to revive the speed modeling threads?

ZaneV
12-14-2008, 02:02 PM
I hope no one has any objections to this, but I'm setting up a thread to get a vote of interest from people who think they would participate in weekly speed modeling challenges just to see how many there are of us wanting to do.

I'm nobody really, at least not a moderator or anyone high up the food chain but I figure we might as well start the ball rolling and perhaps a moderator might see that it will be worth while to look after, I guess we just have to prove that first.

Anyway I am really keen to see a weekly speed modeling session so lets see what happens.

Digitool
12-18-2008, 04:24 AM
Well I think the only way that this will get off the ground again is if we start doing some things, right?

Any ideas to get it kicked off again?

ZaneV
12-22-2008, 05:41 AM
Well I think the only way that this will get off the ground again is if we start doing some things, right?

Sounds like we've got a pretty good response from the Vote of Interest thread so I reckon you are right on the money. Lets get this thing started.

More details in the Vote of Interest Thread in this forum.

dreadfear
01-01-2009, 07:12 AM
A speed model for intermediate users, characters can be a bit advanced for a speed model.

just a suggestion

ambient-whisper
01-08-2009, 12:20 AM
ok guys, why not do something small and quick where we can finish a few variations/studies of the subject.

things like make 5 noses in an hour. make them good studies,and perhaps take it further.

ears.
mouthes ( with or without expression )
hands
or feet

stuff like that.

how would that sound like a start?!

and also perhaps start this thing next week or so?! ( or on friday of this week?! )

the issue with these things is that they take time away from other things so keeping these smaller would make it a lot more manageable.

ZaneV
01-08-2009, 01:21 AM
Yeah that sounds much more practical.

Are you going to be taking control of these speed modeling sessions now? As I really don't have the time over the next 3 weeks.

Its good to see someone a little higher up the chain showing some interest. :)

ZaneV

Digitool
01-08-2009, 03:25 AM
While I agree, I would also like to point out that it seems a lot of the focus is usually on organic character modeling. I, myself, am more of a vehicle modeler, but I do "dabble" around in the other areas... But taking the time to do studies on things is a good way to get things going in other areas. I think the problem, though, is that it will further intimidate people from participating if you start making it "scary" things like studies and more formal challenges.

Trying to keep the same structure, maybe we could do medieval era buildings or weapons, futuristic vehicles, etc.

I know you probably didn't mean to model mostly organic things, but I thought I'd bring this up for those of us who don't have the wealth of knowlege when it comes to modeling such things. I know it has been mentioned from other members before that some challenges when it comes to characters are overwhelming, intimidating, and keep them from participating because they feel that too much is expected out of the entries and that it is above their skill level. So having some sort of universal feel would be the best. Afterall, speed modeling is usually more focus on the practice end than the showcase end.

ambient-whisper
01-08-2009, 04:59 AM
good points.

I've always personally thought that speed challenges were always about solving challenges quickly while achieving a certain quality in the final result within the time the artist is given.

so quality does matter in the end in some respects.

we could also do mechanical type stuff, i dont mind but mechanical by nature is a lot more planning and usually less freeform, so if we did do mechanical type stuff it would have to be focused on smaller things. ( think about things like certain mechanical parts, or fancy door handles. or if people want to get more elaborate, try making a handgun within 5 hours.

its still very possible, so theres no need of only focusing on organic :).

for a start though, i think that making smaller studies would benefit people more. ( and in the end could make some fun collages if people were to share these umongst each other, to make random mr potato heads :D )

Digitool
01-08-2009, 08:48 AM
ah, the "mr potato head" idea is great. we should just take all of the final entries and collage them together into the item, regardless how the voting goes. that would be awesome.

those are some very good points. I just think breaking it up makes it a lot easier to keep peoples' attention spans in it.

Maybe one day go from modeling something organic to mechanical, to something environmental etc.

Maybe we could take a vote before hand to get everyone's opinion on what we should do the next week (while the challenge is going on) and then take that highest voted project for the following week.

and on a personal standpoint, i tend to go more for the mechanical things because I'm a cad student who has way too many years of drafting beaten into their skull to think outside of "exact". But I did go to Full Sail and learn 3d there, I just now apply it in CAD and have 3d as my hobby. Which I never rule out trying to get a job as an artist even though I had to quit just shy of getting a degree at FS.

ambient-whisper
01-08-2009, 08:53 AM
we could also do other things like make a tree trunk, while recording the process to see peoples different approaches to the topic. or modelling a rock/stone. youtube makes sharing easy, and having a theme going could be fun.

but i really want to stress this, if we do this, id only want to do really short bursts of speed challenges. after all we already have hardcore modelling sessions to compete with, and these would have to have a very different feel for it to take off.

Digitool
01-08-2009, 08:59 AM
What kind of time constraints? I'm up for anything. I don't really have the time to devote to the HCMC's so I think these will be easier for me to do and build up practice in maya with.

I'm on board for anything.

ambient-whisper
01-08-2009, 09:17 AM
i guess in the end it depends on the user, but perhaps 1 hour per part tops. that way quality doesnt have to suffer, and people can make multiple parts should they choose.

Digitool
01-08-2009, 09:20 AM
well, i'm ready to tackle this whenever. Are you going to kind of take the leadership role of this thing?

ZaneV
01-08-2009, 11:01 PM
ambient-whisper,

You've got some great ideas, much more simpler easier to manage and probably more helpful for participants. I've got an urge to join in on some of these. They would be great skill tests for myself so I can see where I'm at.

Lets keep this thing rolling.

ZaneV

ambient-whisper
01-12-2009, 12:50 PM
alright guys, I created the thread. I will participate as well.

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?p=5612987#post5612987

Get your friends in on it too and if there are enough people by the end of the day, I will plug this on the front page.

VirusREdSox
09-23-2009, 11:26 PM
what about a SMC about organic modelling, something like insects, cartoon characters(very simple), plants, trees, body parts; since a long time ago I only see SMC about objects, that's OK but I think that will be interesting to change a little bit for a while.:lightbulb

stascrash
10-29-2009, 01:18 PM
@VirusREdSox: I think this a great Idea! I did not do organic modeling in a long long time. I don't think that limiting ourselves to body parts and other type of living organisms is a good, since we have plenty of objects that have organic shape ( a computer mouse, for example). I agree that modeling swords, benches, phones, etc. does get boring in time.

Meanwhile, i took some time and went thought the object's list thread and here is what i have picked, i hope you guys would like it, let me know:

47-AK-47
70-Office Chair
83-Speaker
85-Fire hydrant
119.Cactus

torcli
10-30-2009, 05:33 AM
What about sea creatures such as:

seahorses
sea snails
open clam w\ a pearl
flounder from the little mermaid
chocolate chip starfish
angel fish (may vary)
conch

These are small creatures with a variety of wonderful textures, shapes, and colors.

-Tee

jakeh14
11-11-2009, 06:02 PM
What about an abstraction? This could make for some interesting models...something like "the number 11" and maybe put some restrictions like "can't be obvious" or "must be original (as in can't borrow from existing media)." I suppose this gets close to a competition, though.

A few objects which might be fun to model:

Game Cartridge
Game System
Tree Branch w/ Leaves
A USB Plug/Cord
Small House / Shed
House Interior
KitchenAid / Food Processor
An SLR camera
Land Mine
Neon Sign
Power Saw

Some of these are fairly simple, I know. Just off the head.

Not to beat a dead horse, but I liked the idea of having a challenge where we model several studies of one object given 2 hours. Could be a list of a few simple objects (much like a typical SMC), choose one, and do as many iterations as you can in 2 hours.

Eh? Eh?!? :-D

dmoreno
12-16-2009, 06:19 PM
I was thinking of modeling our dream workstations, from the desk up to the computer; or particularly the computer cases we would kill to get :beer:

jakeh14
12-17-2009, 01:44 AM
I was thinking of modeling our dream workstations, from the desk up to the computer; or particularly the computer cases we would kill to get :beer:

You mean like computer cases filled with beer? Heh heh.

This would be a pretty cool concept I think. It might make sense to give out a list of the elements your station must (or might) have (i.e. computer, chair, etc.) and give each element a certain time limit. Then you could have a "special" time limit to add anything else you'd like.

So for example:

Choose 3 of these 7 elements...

Desk - 60 minutes
Hutch attached to the desk - 45 minutes
Chair - 45 minutes
Computer / Workstation (tower, keyboard, mouse, speakers, display) - 90 minutes
Light Fixture - 30 minutes
Books - 30 minutes
TV/Stereo/Alternative Entertainment - 45 minutes

Additional time to add clutter/personality/misc. objects to your desk - 90 minutes

Just a thougth...

stascrash
01-21-2010, 03:20 PM
I was thinking that COMPASS would be interesting to model, the kind that is used in engineering, or any other complex set of rulers and tools used. Just a thought :)

jordanimation
02-20-2010, 07:51 PM
this looks so fun, I can't wait to try this!

here's random suggestions of mine:

- hotdog stand
- plate of sushi
- cherry blossom tree
- cheetah skin rug
- the treehouse your childhood always wanted

gdsworld
10-28-2010, 08:54 PM
Hey guys,

Could you please revert this forum the way it used to be.

Please please please bring back concept items and not too many of them.

I don't really like all the big list and never get to do any.

I would rather it be just the way we used to have it.

4 standard items
and a few concepts.

Big love as always with regards.

Gdsworld

Shogun32
05-22-2012, 05:50 PM
Maybe you should find random referance pictures off the net/google and get people to model them that way...might attract more attension from others as they would all be judged against each other for their likeness to the referance picture

Just a though :)

Sundaynights
07-03-2012, 09:42 PM
I like the way whom is posting now speed modelling challenges. Five items for each about an hour or for all one etc.
But I would also like (as shogun suggested) it if there would be an additional reference (a link or a picture) to model after. So people can compare each other and if you got stuck you can ask how someone worked around this and that. Would help to improve skills.

palf91
12-19-2012, 07:03 PM
As an email marketer, here are my two cents on the format of this forum.

I'd like to see the week's topic in the title of the post. Dates alone aren't attractive and has no incentive to click. No click, no participation. I also sometimes forget which thread is what, and it will also help with search results as well. Example: SM 29 - 12-09-2012 to 12-16-2012: Video Game Weapons

Sample images of what the topic is about in the challenge would help. Not references images to use for the modelers, but as a "this is what I'm talking about" picture to clarify. Pictures are worth a thousand words, and can get the creative juices flowing.

whom
12-19-2012, 07:38 PM
I'm afraid that this section was a lot more lively just 3 years ago and the people posting in this particular thread are not frequent anymore so I feel there's not a aim forward anymore with the section. I took off where MSus left of and I hoped for his return, he was the most genious when it came to topics.
All in all though, I think we have covered almost everything and anything that is possible to even sculpt, model or practise with. There have been a good number of great ideas but I feel they usually fall short when it comes to the activity and participation. I am only human too and it gets tiresome to keep posting thread when there's no activity.

palf91, that sounds good actually, the sessions was somewhat different even the ones I made during the summer and with mixed items so it had no place for a theme in the title. Feel free to do the next session if you want.

Sundaynights, appreciate the words, I didn't see it until now though. You have been doing a great job pitching in here in the speed model sessions. :)

Sundaynights
01-01-2013, 11:15 AM
Hey, palf. That is a good idea! I will make it more clear in the next thread titels what it will be about - we just "invented" themes for the SMC.
Pictures always helps, I agree with that, but sometimes they limit the minds. E.g. when the theme is weapons and you would see guns and knifes and so on - you would propbably go on and do those. But people actually made mines and pokeballs and not the standard cliché weapons. I really liked that. So I don't think pictures should always be included.

Thanks for the kind words, whom. You also did a great job and it's really good that you keep an eye around here and help out if I don't have the time. Keeping this alive together is great (palf, you could also join!)!

I hope all of you had a good start in the new year. I will now go on and do the new 2013 SMC ^^

AshAmrhein
10-28-2013, 04:24 PM
I would suggest trying to do quick models of buildings from various times in history, or famous buildings. Like a modern day sky scraper, an Egyptian obelisk, a Japanese temple, Mayan Ruins, The Parthenon, or maybe Sidney Opera House.

Personally i don't spend a lot of time focusing on environments so its probably my weakest area, which is why I would try to speed model a few big objects to fill in an environment.