PDA

View Full Version : The benifits of Deep paint???

wmaher2
09-06-2002, 03:55 AM
Anyone tell me about deep paint 3d I am interested in seeing what its all about....Did u use it to texture her....Is it good to use for high rez facial texture painting,,,,,I said no to digi cams a while back for that...but I am just not that great at painting the colour maps... So thats why I was curious about it?

Grey
09-06-2002, 04:11 AM
The biggest benefit of 3D Paint programs is the ability to paint over multiple channels at once.

Suppose, for instance, you wanted to paint rust onto the surface of a pipe. You already have your metal colour.

So you create a brush that paints on both the colour, bump and diffuse channel all in one stroke.

BodyPaint3D can also do this for a lot less money than DP. (IMHO, better).

http://3dfortherealworld.com/pg/modules/bodypaint3d.html

Gentle Fury
09-06-2002, 04:49 AM
anything you can do with deep paint you can do in only a few more minutes with photoshop and you can save a lot of money doing it that way. Deep paint would be slightly worth it if you could import NURBS or Sub-D into it, but its straight up poly, and that is IT! I for one will just stick with projection maps out of photoshop! ;)

wmaher2
09-06-2002, 09:16 PM
Well U can paint layers like rust in maya with the 3d paint tool, Wich can be a little sketchy I know.....Its not Like I would pay for it!!!!!!! "Laughs" :scream: :applause: :scream:

Grey
09-07-2002, 10:01 PM
Painting on multiple channels can be a huge time saver.

A further benefitis the ability to edit UVMaps in realtime while working on textures. In DeepPaint you have to add Texture Weapons to get this, however. (not worth the extra money).

It's true, however, that there's a lot you can do in Paintshop Pro (far cheaper than the memoryhog Photoshop).

Per-Anders
09-08-2002, 01:51 AM
Hye if you're using Maya... well firstly as you say you've got PaintFX... and secondly there's a plugin available from AW site that allows you to paint in quasi realtime using photoshop on a texture...

Gentle Fury
09-08-2002, 05:17 PM
Originally posted by wmaher2
Its not Like I would pay for it!!!!!!! "Laughs" :scream: :applause: :scream:

Well i guess if your a student you can do that ;) I had many a student copy believe me!!! But I was refering to if you ever decided to make a living off of what you are making.

Crazy Max
09-09-2002, 02:12 AM
Sure you can paint your 3d objects in programmes like Photoshop and Paintshop... if you have a lot of time to waste.
Remember that 2d paint programs are not designed for the task of painting on 3d objects. 3D artists have become used to using work-arounds (painting distorted textures in 2D so that they look right in 3D) in order to get texture maps out of 2d paint programmes.

Deep Paint 3D has some great features that speed up the time it takes to create textures (that's why large movie and game studios use it). Deep Paint 3D's projection painting not only lets users paint without UV distortion problems but it also allows you to paint with multi-channel texture brushes over material seams. Try doing that in any 2d paint programme while on a tight deadline or for that point even in Bodypaint!

If you are using Deep Paint 3D and there is some specific feature that you need in Photoshop that is not in Deep Paint 3D then you can use the Deep Paint 3D to Photoshop plugin that sends all your selected materials layers through including a layer with the objects wireframe on it.

As far as NURBS and Sub-D's go... Deep Paint 3D does let you paint them if they are sent to Deep Paint 3D via Max's, Maya's or XSI's plugin. The plugin creates a polygonal proxy of the NURBS/Sub-d model and sends that through for painting. After the artist has finished painting on the proxy object Deep Paint 3D sends back the textures and connects them up to the original NURBS/Sub-D model.

Grey
09-09-2002, 02:04 PM
Deep Paint 3D has some great features that speed up the time it takes to create textures (that's why large movie and game studios use it). Deep Paint 3D's projection painting not only lets users paint without UV distortion problems but it also allows you to paint with multi-channel texture brushes over material seams. Try doing that in any 2d paint programme while on a tight deadline or for that point even in Bodypaint!

BodyPaint has projection Paint.

I don't want to start an App war, but pretending BP has fewer features than DP simply isn't going to solve anything. The truth is, i has more features out of hte box. You can't do UV editing with DP unless you add Texture Weapons.

So far as painting over seams, DP doesn't do it any better than BodyPaint.

Crazy Max
09-09-2002, 09:52 PM
Grey

I don't know what version of BodyPaint you are using but the version I have does not have any projection paint. I checked the Maxon web site and can find no mention of it in BodyPaints feature list.

Here is a quote from the review of BodyPaint in the April 2002 Game Developer Mag...

"Deep Paint 3D does hold two key advantages: more sophisticated UV-editing tools and a projective painting mode that does an excellent job of eliminating texture seams."

The quote is referring to the Deep Paint 3D/Texture Weapons bundle.

I never said that Body Paint has fewer features than Deep Paint 3D. All I said was that the projection painting in Deep Paint 3D speeds up the time it takes to create textures relative to those painting programs that don't have this key feature.

Feel free to tell me how you use projection painting in BodyPaint. Im sure Maxon would like to know also.

:rolleyes:

Kaiser_Sose
09-09-2002, 10:11 PM
You can't do UV editing with DP unless you add Texture Weapons.

DP comes with Deep UV Now

leigh
09-10-2002, 09:23 PM
.... and I know something you guys don't know ;)

stillvapour
09-11-2002, 03:17 AM
Originally posted by Leigh
.... and I know something you guys don't know ;)
what's that?
is that something only girls would know?;)

leigh
09-11-2002, 06:35 AM
Hmmmm..... I'm not telling :D

jason-slab
09-11-2002, 06:52 AM
morning leigh how u today?

tell us what u know woman!

leigh
09-11-2002, 06:55 AM
NEVER! :D

jason-slab
09-11-2002, 07:04 AM
*grrrrrrrr

EricChadwick
09-11-2002, 07:55 PM
Bodypaint indeed does not have projection paint. I sent a query to Maxon yesterday, got this response...

"
This feature unfortunately is currently not available in BodyPaint. Many users have requested this feature and we are looking into it. If you would like you can put a feature request in at (
http://www.maxon.net/pages/support/suggestion_e.html ) as this is where we look to see what users are looking for when creating updates.
"

At which point I promptly did. We'll see. Currently I prefer BP, but projection paint makes DP hard to give up.

posm

voyer
09-12-2002, 03:13 AM
Originally posted by Leigh
NEVER! :D

please......

I just got DP and im learning it.
Would love to know whatever it is that you are hidding.
You are sooooo smart !!!
read all you tut's
please help a begginer out.......

:shrug:

jason-slab
09-12-2002, 09:27 AM
hehehe geeeees voyer talk about sucking UP!

:D

leigh
09-12-2002, 02:48 PM
Let's just say that I am prohibited by contract to give out any details, but you will find out... when the next release of DP3D comes out ;)

EricChadwick
09-12-2002, 02:51 PM
Can you divulge how far away the release is?

leigh
09-12-2002, 02:56 PM
You know, that's actually a really good question :surprised
I'm honestly not sure when it will be released....
I'll look into it ;)

leigh
09-16-2002, 08:43 AM
Okay, here's the scoop: the guys at Right Hemisphere are hard at work with planning and stuff.
There is, as yet, no official release date for the next update. Although, I have got a rough estimate, but I'm not sure if I can mention it. Don't worry, it won't be next century ;)
All I can say is it's going to be really cool :D

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 03:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.