PDA

View Full Version : Wip Buddha

delunchen
01-08-2005, 05:41 AM
Serious crits needed for the work, expecially the head face area
i asked many people and most of them told me that the face look off but i cant pin out the problem.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v119/delun/buddha.jpg

thanx in advance

Bonzo
01-08-2005, 05:56 AM
Hey green_leaf, beware of the Sea!

any who

It would be better if we had a higher resolution of you WIP thus far. From what I see the head is off tilt a bit. The face is exactly vertical, meaning the eyes nose and mouth are in line, but the head as a whole is moved to the left. This causes a problem when we view the image because we see that something is wrong, but it's hard to put a definite problem to it.

One thing I would suggest is an alternate light source to the whole image. It's very monochromatic right now, but if you add another hue and color accordingly, it would bring another dimension to the image.

I also don't understand the "e" in the picture. Maybe studying a full rez image will enlighten me, but right now, the image is a little mysterious.

Best wishes,

Bonzo

delunchen
01-08-2005, 06:10 AM
sorry the "e" which is actually a watermark "sample"

Ok now i have attached a bigger view.
thanx for the input. i think i get what you mean.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v119/delun/buddha2.jpg

ajay1589
01-08-2005, 05:07 PM
i actually dont have any crits about the face...it looks like a buddha would in a traditional painting...if you would smooth out the face a little more....it probably could look better

the color choice and sea look great...
work a little more on the person and pieces attached to the buddha to make it more defined...

great work so far

delunchen
01-08-2005, 07:40 PM
thanx for you kind comments.
The major problem im facing now is colour. Im sure most people see some bluish tone there, but for me i cant see. it appears as almost black and white to me as my monitor is kinda very old and the colour is not as vibrant.

Also, i will be very grateful if anyone can provide a tip or two for painting sea and raging waves. Any tutorial would be a great help too.

Thanx in advance to all.

Bonzo
01-10-2005, 05:28 AM
hey again green_leaf

Thanks for a higher resolution. It helped me, hope it helped others.

I have taken the liberty to draw on your picture. Hope you don't mind. If you do, I'll take it right off immediately.

You have a really nice grayscale image there. If you just concentrate on painting the color now, this image will turn out nicely. I quickly moved the hand more toward the body, desaturated, and slapped on a quick color scheme onto your image.

While studying your picture, you have done a really nice job. I could nit-pick, but you have done very well. I can see where you're coming from on the waves, but the straight illustrated style of the waves you have drawn are nice.

Bonzo's version
green_leaf / WIP Greyscale / colored version
http://web.ics.purdue.edu/~dieckmep/green_leaf.jpg
Keep it up!

Bonzo

delunchen
01-10-2005, 12:13 PM
It should be me who thank you for taking the time to give some advice and actually work on it and show me. Greatest gratitude.

I think it was my monitor's problem that the grayscaled version look like sepia to me... And my rignal version look black and white without any bluish hue unlike what i see in my friends and other people's monitor.

i really like the colour you added. quite close to the meaning of the picture. The buddha with the "abhaya: hand gesture, "have no fear for you are safe". Even with raging storm, you are safe within my protection.

I will consider working towards that direction, but i preferred a gloomy atmosphere. yours look somehow, "tropical island" if you are not offended.
Thanx alot again.

CGTalk Moderation
01-20-2006, 10:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.