PDA

View Full Version : Difference between Constraints and connection.

jdexforwords
01-08-2005, 02:25 AM
When I need to use point constraint, I can do almost same thing with connecting translate in Connection Editor. I can do same thing for orient constraint.

My question is, Is there any critical issue about using connecting attributes instead of using constraints?

Connection must be faster than using constraints. Then it makes my rig faster? maybe.

Goon
01-08-2005, 02:52 AM
Well they aren't going to be exactly the same thing in certain cases.

The point constraint attaches an object to a point, regardless of other conditions.
-For example, take two objects, one of which is parented to an object, and the other unparented (ie. a child of the worldspace). Connect the translations of the unparented object to the parented one. The translations will be mirrored in the parented object, but because they are relative to the parent object, if the parent is moved, the child shifts.
-However if a point constraint was used to ensure that the object translates the same as another, then no matter how a parent object is translated, the point constrained child will remain attached.
-Additionally, constraints can be turned on/off, and if there are two constraints, they can be weighted towards one or another

jdexforwords
01-08-2005, 03:03 AM
Thank you. you made me clear.

CGTalk Moderation
01-20-2006, 10:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.