PDA

View Full Version : New Mexico and Flocking Birds

particle
09-06-2002, 02:33 AM
New Mexico:
I just recently moved to New Mexico and I am looking for other Lightwave users in the area. The local Siggraph group is inactive and I don't know of any other groups around. If you are near the Albuquerque or Santa Fe area, drop me a line. Thanks.

Flocking Birds:
I just followed the instructions for protons Flocking Birds. However, I ended up with a bunch of birds out in front of the particle generator (along its path) before it started to move. As it sweeps by, the birds were caught up in the wind and swept along (they weren't moving until it reached them). What did I do wrong to have all the birds sitting out in from of the particle generator to begin with? Thanks.

Notepad
09-06-2002, 03:33 PM
Got a link to the tutorial? I'll check it out.

DigitalDeuce
09-06-2002, 07:06 PM
http://www.lightwave3d.com/tutorials/animation/flocking_birds/index.html

Right?

particle
09-06-2002, 11:10 PM
That is the one. It think I might have found the problem. It says to parent both the wind and the emitter to the "Main_Mover". However, in his example scene, he only parents the wind. My excess birds are sitting in the location that their particles will be born at when the emitter passes by. Does that make sense?

So I am the lone Lightwave user in New Mexico? Oh well. I guess I will just have to post my work here more often and hope people say something about. I have been leary of doing that since I tried the Beast of Burden challenge. It seemed that people only paid attention to the threads of people that had done well in the past.

When I get back from my trip, I will see about put up my current project and see what people think. I am really excited to see NewTek interacting so much with the Lightwave community now. The old tutorials on their site had started to grow mold. ;)

Thanks.
Particle

proton
09-07-2002, 01:51 AM
hopefully the mold is taken care of now and we will keep the tutorials nice and fresh....:thumbsup:

DigitalDeuce
09-07-2002, 01:55 AM
ewwww - mold.

that's what has killed my house.

blech.

:thumbsdow

E_Moelzer
09-07-2002, 01:57 AM
Hello Particle
I think there should be some more LWers in NM than yourself.
If I am not mistaken there is even a cool LW- company there "Contifilms".
I might be wrong, as there is no precise contact- info on their page, but I am quite sure, as they mentioned NM a few times...
Maybe you should just drop them a mail and ask!
http://www.contifilms.com/
CU
Elmar

DigitalDeuce
09-07-2002, 01:58 AM
Splinegod is from there as well.

Alberquirky.

:)

particle
09-07-2002, 02:25 AM
E_Moelzer: Thanks for the link. I will look them up. They talk about the state funding some animation classes for $30 at a local college.

Digital Duece: Thanks, I might have to try getting in touch with Splinegod. He has done some great work.

Proton: These new tutorials are as fresh as they come! Thanks for being so active in the LW community. I looked at the PDF file for the Flocking Birds and there is a typo. You don't parent the emitter to the null. Can you get that fixed? I don't want others to struggle with it like I did. Great tutorial though, I have birds flocking around crayon towers.

Thanks for everyones help.

particle

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 03:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.