PDA

View Full Version : Shot list question for story boards

OptimusDinkus
01-07-2005, 07:56 PM
Is it a good idea to make a shot list of what needs to be done first, then draw each cell according to the shot list, cause I tried this without a shot list and ended up making some heafty mistakes (180 degree rules primarily). Anyone?

nemirc
01-08-2005, 05:09 AM
I've found very useful to create a shot list first. Not only helps me to keep track of the shot numbers but I also write very useful information in that list. I then translate that to my cells.

Here's an exampleour current project:

CH2S11

Walters enters the frame from the right. He is looking at the building on the background. He stops and faces it.

Camera at on-the-knees level, looking at the building on the background.

Now let me do some explaining: The first line is the "shot number" (for the current example it stands for "chapter 2 shot 11"); The first paragraph describes what happens on the shot; the third paragraph describes camera information (shot type, framing, camera position, etc).
By having this I've found much easier to translate the film to storyboards because I already have the information I need to put in them.

I hope this helps.

Totoro
01-12-2005, 01:34 PM
Thanks for the tip. I'll try this method in my next project.
I often find it hard to keep track of my shots and drawing storyboard because I don't start with a shotlist. I usually just start drawing what comes into my mind.

nemirc
01-12-2005, 08:29 PM
You are very welcome pal :thumbsup:

I've found this method VERY useful specially now that I am laying down my shots in Maya. No more "funny names" like "walking on alley 1.mb" or "looks to the landscape 3.mb". My shots are named accordingly to what appears on my shot list (such as CH2S11.mb for the previous example).

CGTalk Moderation
01-20-2006, 10:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.