View Full Version : Police Chase - compositing project
01-07-2005, 05:06 PM
Hey hey everyone. This is a small project I have worked on for my compositing class at Full Sail. Between my 8 hour days at school and home life I managed to pump this project out in 6.5 weeks. Roto, 3d matchmoved by hand, CC, models, animation, etc.. completed by myself. I have run out of time on this project, and look forward to hearing crits and comments. Also, I was fortunate enough to get some help with the audio. Thanks Joe! Enough chat, the video:
3DS MAX (Final Render Stage-1)
Hi-Res Image (http://www.digitalcrystaldesigns.com/3ds/compare.jpg)
Thanks to everyone who supported me! :thumbsup:
01-07-2005, 06:29 PM
Well, it froze for me half way, but then I caught the end when the car tipped over and the beginning..it looked real enough for a film! Sweet
01-08-2005, 12:04 AM
Very nice work. Suddle. I would work more on the particles. Other than that it is showing great progress.
01-08-2005, 08:35 AM
i freak on the camera....very realistic movement....
what do you use to port the whole thing to max for rendering?
01-08-2005, 02:20 PM
Looking good. :thumbsup:
But like someone already said the particles could be better and the tires doesn't seem to move. Or am I wrong?
But you did a ver good job
01-08-2005, 08:58 PM
Thanks for the comments. I agree about the smoke and sparks, they were rushed and it shows. This is my process:
-I shot the footage from the chopper using a Panasonic DVX100a 24p, no interlacing, nice.
-Matchmoved the live plate with a virtual camera in 3ds Max.
-Rotoscoped the cockpit of the chopper out in Shake.
-Modelled the cars in maya (Porsche: 5 hours)(Koenisegg CC: 6 hours)
-Converted the cars to obj's and imported them into MAX.
-Color corrected the footage to look like night.
-2d Tracked the guages in Shake to give the night glow.
-Rendered the cars on a plane and placed into scene.
----This was tricky in that the plane was used as a mask to cut through the CC node that was present on the footage, cutting a hole, revealling the day lit scene below.
-Extra lighting (police lens effects, chopper spot)
-Smoke and sparks layer
-Rendered in DV/DVC Pro codec to match the requirements of the class.
Here are a few images to break down the process:
Test render of the cars on the footage:
One of these days I'm sure I'll have some time to fix those particles. At the moment, I'm working on some models and dynamics in maya.
01-09-2005, 12:00 AM
that came out great. I hated that compositing class...why all the switch between max and maya? I tihnk i would have gone with sprites fer the smoke. but anyway it looks great considering the time frame. awsome work...now I want to see more models.
01-09-2005, 07:14 AM
...now I want to see more models.
Well, there is always this project ;) :wip:
As for the switch between maya and max, I found the match moving easier in MAX than maya, and I wasn't certain that the camera would transfer over to maya. I hadn't used any maya particles either at that time, so the obvious choice was 3ds. Plus, with final render stage one, I had 6 computers all plugged together in my render farm, distributed rendering is awesome.
Now, time to get some more models pumped out, yeah!
Good times. Thanks for the crit :thumbsup:
01-26-2005, 11:42 PM
Since you posted a police chase, I thought I would chime in with mine. It isn't very fancy, and I removed the logos from the cars as well as the land detail (It's a real chase that is going to court).
Anyway, I have never posted anything here, since you guys are real artists and I am kind of a hack, but here is the link and a pic....
There are 2 views, it's pretty lame but..what the heck, I am sure you guys would have some constructive comments.
01-27-2006, 12:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.
vBulletin v3.0.5, Copyright ©2000-2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.