PDA

View Full Version : Cloth rocks! & question

MJV
01-07-2005, 07:15 AM
I read that the cloth that comes with Foundation is the old cloth (not Syflex) and thus not so great, so I wasn't expecting much, but then I tried it and can say I'm very pleased with the speed and the results, and the fact that self collision works so well. This has me wondering just how much better Syflex could possibly be.

Now my question. Is it possible to use a cloth animation as a deformer, and just how would one go about doing that? I have a man's overcoat that is modeled with thickness, cuffs, pockets, lapels, etc, and I'm thinking it would be cool to have a simple version of the coat as cloth animation act as a deformer on the more complete coat. So the simple version would be hidden, but the results of the cloth animation would be transferred to the visible coat. Are there by any chance any tutorials or write ups on how this is done?

el_diablo
01-07-2005, 08:00 AM
Plot->shape

Then setup cage deformer as in attachment. Also expreiment, proxy cloth doesnt need to be mimicing design of the final. Design it just to get good motion.

el_diablo
01-07-2005, 08:08 AM
A little more complete example

MJV
01-07-2005, 08:15 AM
Thanks el_diablo. I'll have a careful look at those files tomorrow. :bounce:

MJV
01-07-2005, 09:23 PM
Looked at the file and read up on the cage deformer. Good solution, and cool to know about. Thanks. :thumbsup: The manual notes that you cannot paint the weight assignments nor adjust them manually though, which is a little sad. How would one work around that? You can use clusters, but I don't think there is such a thing as soft clusters in XSI, is there? What I'd like to do is be able to control the transition from areas of the mesh that will be under the control of bone deformers to areas that will be under the control of the cage deformer. So just to be clear, I have this overcoat, and I'd like the upper half of the coat controlled by the character's bone skeleton, but have only the skirt of the coat controlled by the cage deformer. If I use a point cluster then the transition could be kind of harsh.

Ablefish
01-07-2005, 11:20 PM
One alternative would be to constrain some nulls or implicits to point(s) on your cloth geometry and using them as deformers for the envelope. Then you can control how much they influence the coat.

And you can get soft clusters in xsi, sorta - by piping a weight map into a Deform->Cluster Center you can control the influence of the deforming null.

el_diablo
01-08-2005, 08:42 AM
Actually, cage deformer weights are quite paitable. The manual says they arent becouse cage deformer still lacks additional weight map for influence. It uses only one weight map that stores both assigement and influence. Freeze the assigement operator and use weight painting to paint areas you dont want to be influenced by cage deformer. Then use smooth to smooth the transition. It should work, but maybe there are some caveats.

el_diablo
01-08-2005, 08:54 AM
Too bad. I just tried it, it dont work. The reason being that clearing the weight map for cage deformer dont use history, it just resets the vertex positions to 0,0,0. That and a sperate overall influence weight map should be wants for 4.5 :). Many deformers in XSI are still a bit limited in control.

Apoclypse
01-09-2005, 01:14 AM
the regular cloth sim in XSI is actually pretty good and up until a few years back it was phenomenol. However the problem lies in how you build your cloth and the speed in which it calculates which syflex is really adept at. What really makes Syflex great is how easy it is to build the actual cloth objects.

MJV
01-09-2005, 04:22 AM
Thanks guys. I'll keep pluggin away it. I'm getting close.

CGTalk Moderation
01-20-2006, 08:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.