PDA

View Full Version : Gangor - A work in Progress.

Equinoxx
12-13-2001, 06:50 PM
Since the forum is brand new, it wouldn't be complete without my very own character thread :D
So i'll post it again. Many of you will probably have seen it allready, but I can still use critique. And an update will probably show up very soon.

Without further adue . . .
The complete model version of Gangor
http://home.wxs.nl/~adam0039/Gangor/gangor_fr.jpg

and the latest version of gangor with textures.

http://home.wxs.nl/~adam0039/Gangor/gangor_tribal.jpg [IMG]

And I can see that I def need to change the background on the second one, it clashes with the new forum colors ;)

Well, crit away . . .

Duhreetoh
12-13-2001, 06:55 PM
Hmm...very, very nice...especially the texturing.
One thing, however. If he was real (which he looks realistic enough) the ends of the tenticle-y things coming off his face would probably just be one color, the yellow or the blue.
(The one in the middle really bothers me for some reason)

Other than that, it's eeeexcelllent.

Equinoxx
12-13-2001, 07:01 PM
LOL yeah, I haven't textured those yet, they're gonna be one color in the end, but thx for telling me. another thing to add to my to-do checklist.

Cryptkeeper
12-13-2001, 07:03 PM
looks good, there is however a seam in his pit.

Equinoxx
12-13-2001, 07:06 PM
Yes I know. I haven't welded the textured pieces together yet.
I chopped the model into a head, a torso and arm, so i can texture them seperately. I don't know of another way. But if anyone knows how i can make em blend easilly when i attach the pieces togher, I'd be very happy :D

pascal_blanche
12-13-2001, 07:09 PM
damn I think I saw this guy before.. hmm where??.. hmmm damn... :P

Equinoxx
12-13-2001, 07:11 PM
haha, must be your imagination ;)

AJ
12-13-2001, 08:50 PM
does look familiar doesn't he...?:p

When texturing organic stuff 'noxx - try to use masks and different mapping channels...

For example - you could create a selection of b&w masks that break up ur model in to the seperate maps (as you have done now in effect), each one with their own mapping channel. Now you can use a combination of Blend Materials and Mix maps to control the UV placement for each texture map (using the corresponding mask for that section to block it off from the other. For instance, you could have your neck masked off (all black model and white area for the neck) with a UV map set at channel 1. Now you can apply a UV modifier for the neck (in much the same way you've done now) with a map channel of 2. Then unwrap/create ur map (however you choose/have done). And then use you diffuse/bump/spec maps with the UV map set at 2 (controlling thier placement) and the mask set to 1 (controlling it's placement). By blurring the masks edges you'll achieve a much more natural transition between each seperate texture map. ;)

Anyway - I knwo that this is the critique not the advice forum, so I'll just say that Gangor's lookin' as handsome as ever! :D

Chewey
12-13-2001, 09:02 PM
Originally posted by Equinoxx
Since the forum is brand new, it wouldn't be complete without my very own character thread :D
So i'll post it again. Many of you will probably have seen it allready, but I can still use critique. And an update will probably show up very soon.

Without further adue . . .
The complete model version of Gangor
http://home.wxs.nl/~adam0039/Gangor/gangor_fr.jpg

and the latest version of gangor with textures.

http://home.wxs.nl/~adam0039/Gangor/gangor_tribal.jpg [IMG]

And I can see that I def need to change the background on the second one, it clashes with the new forum colors ;)

Well, crit away . . .

seams a bit familiar!

wlau
12-13-2001, 09:42 PM
Nice model equinoxx!

As mentioned above as well, that middle hanging tenticle from his face is somewhat out of place. Maybe it's just me =)

What modeling method did you use to construct Gangor? Is it possible for us to see the cage?

Good luck,
grim

Equinoxx
12-14-2001, 07:27 AM
I started out using editable poly, but collapsed it to editable mesh in the end.
i will up a screengrab of the pre-meshsmooth model and one with meshsmooth applied, both showing the edges tonight.

Equinoxx
12-14-2001, 09:47 PM
Well, here is a display if my "spline-cage" There isn't really a splineface, since I made every poly myself [the left one] and than applied a meshsmooth modifier with 1 itteration on it [the right]

http://home.wxs.nl/~adam0039/Gangor/wiregrab.jpg

AJ
12-14-2001, 11:14 PM
Ack... Tri Faces!!! Kill them... kill them ALL!!!! Aiieeeeeeee....

j/k - nice as ever mate :D

(BTW... What's happening over at t3rdD??:confused: )

Kadde
12-14-2001, 11:44 PM
very nice! i liked...

his face remembers me a little of Watto.

cool.

parallax
12-15-2001, 09:09 AM
You already know we like it... read: show off :p

Is there a new rating system or something? Want to be jedi too :(

Equinoxx
12-15-2001, 09:39 AM
ehm do I know you Parallax ??? since you're from holland and all ???

Airflow
12-15-2001, 11:28 AM
V nice, but I think he needs a couple of compainions, female ones. :)
Great work, hopefully they will get deveoped into an animation, how will you go about that then? qui:P :)
Yu King \@/

digink
12-15-2001, 01:45 PM
Awsome work.. only crit I have is if your going for a mean guy look you should make the eyes a solid color.. make him look scary, I think that'd be cool. Other then that good work!

parallax
12-16-2001, 02:16 PM
Equinoxx>> No you dont know me (i reckon..) .
But i had already seen that image in the old forum. Nice.
Are you in the industry in holland? if there even is any...

Equinoxx
12-16-2001, 07:41 PM
Parallax, yes I am in the industry.
Mostly architecture tho, No character modeling :(
I really wanna do character modeling & animation for a living, but then again, who doesn't . . .

wolf
12-17-2001, 09:11 AM
Really good, and really cool.

Konyn
12-18-2001, 08:59 PM
Looks very nice,
One thing I don't like are his ears, I think you should model some nice ones (at least add some details) or don't have im ears at all, (just holes or something)

You should also consider to model the wrinkels in his forehead, i think it will be much nicer.

Keep posting the upgrades.

Good luck finding a job,
I'm looking too. :)

Equinoxx
12-19-2001, 11:33 AM
You're right about the ears, I need to rethink them. I made those just for reference and kinda forgot about em :D

And I thin I'll model the wrinkles indeed. I'm gonna have two weeks of from work, so that gives me some time to work on him again whooowhoooo

Fat&ugly
12-19-2001, 01:28 PM
I love the model but I don't like the texture...
Great model though.

vertex
12-19-2001, 06:57 PM
Equinox this is Great work I love the proportions of his arms and hands... very cool.

Have you done any test animations yet?

Equinoxx
12-19-2001, 08:38 PM
no not yet, Coming week, I'm gonna finish textureworks, than try and rig him for animation.
I hope I will succeed.
All things I'm doing with him is a first, so bare with me :D

SheepFactory
12-19-2001, 09:10 PM
your wish is granted parallax , use the force wisely :p

I love the character. Are you going to use it in a animation?

A|i

Equinoxx
12-20-2001, 07:34 AM
Originally posted by Equinoxx
no not yet, Coming week, I'm gonna finish textureworks, than try and rig him for animation.
I hope I will succeed.
All things I'm doing with him is a first, so bare with me :D

So ehm yes, that is the general Idea yaeh, but I have to finish texture works 1st, then do some additional modeling, and then I'll bones him, skin him and by god I WILL make him walk :D

wolf
12-20-2001, 08:58 AM
It will be cool to see him walk. Canīt wait for that. :D

Daxx
01-17-2002, 10:57 PM
Good Model!!!

nibo
02-08-2002, 04:51 PM
I said it before.... GANGOR IS THA BOMB!

So 'noxx, when you gonna texture him and rigg this guy? Gangor is worth your attention, don't let him slip away! :(

Edraket
02-20-2002, 06:26 PM
He's still working on gangor nib. He just gave him a mask with a sigar sticking out of it.
hehe

It's our fate..the makers of unfinished projects. At least I can blame it on my past in the game industry.

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 01:26 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.