PDA

View Full Version : constraint question

tmac
01-06-2005, 11:20 PM
I've tried this many ways to no avail. . . .I want to contrain a shirt button to a smooth bound coat.

I want the button to travel with the deformation of the coat. basically ride with the position and normal direction of a specified face or group of points on the coat.

can I do this native or do I need a mel script?

any help would be greatly appreciated.

-tmac

CoolDuck
01-06-2005, 11:30 PM
Maybe a geometry constraint. Found under Animation menu set>Constrain>Geometry.

tmac
01-07-2005, 03:13 AM
thanks for the response cool duck,

I tried the geo contraint it didn't behave as expected. . .

I'll keep trying. . . .If I figure it out I'll post my findings. . . .any additional help would be appreciated.

seems like it should be an easy task.

tmac

WFinlay
01-07-2005, 05:35 AM
There are a number of scripts that will do what you want. One called "rivet" is on www.highend3d.com (http://www.highend3d.com). If you have Maya 6 unlimited, my favorite way is to choose the coat, apply hair (Hair|Create Hair). Now in the hypergraph delete all the hair curves and follicles except the one(s) in the spot(s) where you want the button(s) to stick. Finally, parent the button under the follicle.

tmac
01-07-2005, 03:24 PM
thanks Wfinlay

I'll try those methods.

tmac

Morganism
01-08-2005, 04:14 AM
If you have Maya 6 unlimited, my favorite way is to choose the coat, apply hair (Hair|Create Hair). Now in the hypergraph delete all the hair curves and follicles except the one(s) in the spot(s) where you want the button(s) to stick. Finally, parent the button under the follicle.
That's an interesting idea. How does that compare speedwise to the rivet script?

CGTalk Moderation
01-20-2006, 08:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.