PDA

View Full Version : Maya like UI and Keys for XSI

K_Locsmandi
01-06-2005, 05:47 PM
I'm just starting into XSI. I made MAX pretty much like maya. I like to have similar UI's on my apps so I can jump back and forth. Are there any scripts out there that make XSI act like or look more like the Maya, in interface and workflow? I know it's possible to change everything but I want to know if someone has already done this as a script or a pre-made UI setting.

Thanks

Kenny

ThirdEye
01-06-2005, 11:40 PM
The first question that comes into my mind is: "If you want the gui and the workflow of Maya why do you use XSI?". Talking about a possible answer to your question: i'm not aware of any scripts that does such a thing, a script to make XSI look like Maya would almost sound blasphemous. Can you make XSI look like Maya and can you have the workflow of Maya? No, i don't think so, unless you use XML and redesign the interface from start to the end. Maya's gui is quite different from XSI: in XSI you have no hotbox, no marking menus, no shelves, no icons and a single property editor instead of 3. They're both very good and very powerful, but their philosophies are quite different.

Shinova
01-07-2005, 02:49 AM
I'm just starting into XSI. I made MAX pretty much like maya. I like to have similar UI's on my apps so I can jump back and forth. Are there any scripts out there that make XSI act like or look more like the Maya, in interface and workflow? I know it's possible to change everything but I want to know if someone has already done this as a script or a pre-made UI setting.

Thanks

Kenny

Let's get something down first. You use a particular app because you like its capabilities and its way of accomplishing them aka the UI and workflow.

Now, if you much prefer Maya's UI and workflow, do the simple thing: stick with Maya. Trying to force a different app to work like another is just counterproductive. You should use XSI or Max for THEIR UI and workflow, not to try to emulate Maya's.

EdHarriss
01-07-2005, 01:17 PM
- These 2 PDFs will help you:
- http://www.softimage.com/products/xsi/v35/media/maya2xsi_quickref.pdf
- http://www.softimage.com/products/xsi/v35/media/maya2xsi_quickstart.pdf

wmendez
01-08-2005, 07:27 AM
If your are trying to ease your transition to XSI then I see nothing wrong what he is trying to do, but if this is how he wants to work in the long run then he will not fully harness or grasp XSI's functionality, workflow, etc.

As of v4.0 XSI has a shelving system in place and with the XML layouts you could try to create a layout with built in shelves. You can create and view some examples of the shelves in Application>Toolbars

cresshead
01-09-2005, 12:28 PM
it seems quite a fair request...this chap has learnt 3d via maya and would like to add xsi with as little pain as possible also as he stated he has already changed the u.i. on max to help his workflow and made it similar to maya so there's not so many DIFFERENT key shortcuts and places to go to find stuff...

You all should know by now no one app has ALL the cool stuff and it seems that he's adding xsi to run alongside his 3ds max and maya...

so it's perfectly reasonable to see if xsi is "flexable" enough to help maya users add xsi to their 3d apps with as little transition pain as possible, it's also clear that both 3ds max and maya ARE quite adaptable in their u.i. customising...something that is well know is that maya can be adapted so that a non 3d animator only see's what the TD want's to have available for a "traditional animator"...making their work easy to transfer over to 3d from a 2d background.

so the real question here is....does xsi have the flexability of maya or 3ds max to customise the u.i. so that it can mimic another app or be customised to only show certain tools so making the u.i. ideal for a certain task...such as a u.i just for modeling or one just for animating...3ds max has such loadable u.i. schemes...these came in with 3ds max 3.0...so are these also available for xsi?

such things are common needs for a technical director on a large project overseeing his staff.

steve g

cresshead
01-09-2005, 01:02 PM
maybe something what max 3 is capable of would help him...but in xsi...being able to un- dock buttons and also being able to iconise text buttons...

i know that you can re assign shortcuts simply so that not a huge problem...maybe someone has already done this to mimic maya or 3ds max...

can we do this in xsi?

cresshead
01-09-2005, 01:05 PM
and on a side note...can we get the top bar transform/rotate scale icons as in "xsi mod 4.2" but in xsi4.2 foundation...this would help new users coming from 3dsmax whom i'm teaching at college in nottingham when they go home to their xsi4.2 this is not there...

steve g

CGTalk Moderation
01-20-2006, 08:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.