PDA

View Full Version : WIP: Warcraft Night Elf

Turbonium
01-06-2005, 03:56 AM
This is my first ever real attempt at painting anything in Photosop. I was never really good at painting in real life, so this isn't exactly easy... I basically just work the tools to the best of my ability (which is limited at the moment) and see what I can do. Been working on this on and off for maybe 3 or so days now, between classes and studying. Total time so far probably an embarassing 5 hours or so. I have MANY layers in use, because I know I make many mistakes all the time. I'm constantly redoing parts.

I have no clue how to shade things, as maybe you can tell by looking at her chest and shoulder armour, so I did it in a way that would help hide that fact, instead of making it more realistic. I just thought I'd post this up to get some CC or whatever. I have no clue where to go from here on though, as my technical knowledge is limiting what I can do with it now.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v493/photohub/wip_night_elf_thumb.jpg

Wacom Graphire 3
PS 7
sketched and scanned for painting

Turbonium
01-06-2005, 04:13 AM
I just noticed her left shoulder armor is pointing way too high... grr.

The more I look at it the worse it looks.

idiot box
01-06-2005, 04:49 AM
The anatomy seems off, and the position of her arms look weird. The space between her mouth and nose are too short.I reccomend buying an art book on anatomy and practicing it daily. I started 4 months ago and it has help me emensely(sp).

Turbonium
01-06-2005, 05:00 AM
Actually there's so much wrong with her now that I look at it. Her eye is a bit too behind her nose crest, or maybe her nose crest is too big? Her head seems to be a bit too big.

And yea, her arms are a bit, weird. I basically just drew them in there in like 10 seconds not even, just to fill up some more page space.

Overall it's junk, I gotta draw more.

idiot box
01-06-2005, 05:45 AM
I wouldnt worry about it, I reccomend getting a sketch book and practicing anatomy daily. Then 3 months later go back and look at your first one and you will notice a big difference from when you started. Im not saying you'll get the hang of i in 3 months. It could take years....just keep trying.

Mr. Baker
01-06-2005, 07:33 PM
Wonderful start! Obviously it wouldn't hurt to follow the advise already listed, there is quite a bit of work that could be done overall. The one thing that really stuck out to me is her eyebrow. I don't know if anyone else noticed it, but it sticks out past the hair and outside the ear. Of coarse that might be an elven trait if that's what you want, but I thought I'd point it out nonetheless.

Did you have an idea originally with where you wanted to go with the picture? Otherwise it is kind of hard to crit...

Turbonium
01-07-2005, 03:58 AM
Well I used this (http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/downloads/wallpapers/wallpaper23.html) as a very general reference. Didn't intend to emulate it, but just as a reference for a quick sketch...

And yes her eyebrows are supposed to be that long...

alastairwinter
01-08-2005, 05:21 PM
Hi Turbo,

Just dropping in for a quick crit, to try and see if I could give you any good info. One of the things that was already brought up would be a great start - the anatomy. :)

There are even some great anatomy tutorials online that cover human anatomy, the head, and the body and all that (proportions and all). Overall, the best thing would probably be to build up your skill by really studying it than just trying to pic up quick tips, but for quick info I looked up a couple sites. http://drawsketch.about.com/od/figuredrawing/ (this one is okay, the site has pop-ups though, so if you can ignore them then this might be a good start) then there's http://www.thenamelesspage.com/nameless/tutorials.html (seems okay at first glance) these are of course things I found really quick online using Google. (When I said there were great online tutorials, the ones I listed aren't them but I don't have them on this computer...)

As for the painting, some quick crits I can give are that the eyes are indeed too far back, for the pose you picked. The body is at the wrong angle too, where her body in your painting looks like it's facing the viewer and not sort of 3/4 to side away from the viewer. Trying to do a sketch of this woman in blocks might help too so you know where things are supposed to face...? :)

Hope some of this helps, and keep it up!

CGTalk Moderation
01-20-2006, 08:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.