View Full Version : Student Demo Reel

funkychicken
01-05-2005, 10:15 PM
http://members.shaw.ca/ryanoreilly/poster.jpg

Title: Demo Reel
Name: Ryan O'Reilly
Software: Softimage XSI 3.5.1 + 4.0
Adobe Photoshop / Premiere

(graduate of CATO, Center for Arts and Technology)

Finally got this reel thing done, now to post, and get fruit and veggies thrown at me from the adoring crowd :P
hopfully it wont burn yer eyes while viewing, it has been compressed to fit onto my limited space on my site *wispers* ( cuz im to cheap to pay)
anyone wanna hire a lost lonely student boy? haha oy veh...enough with the stall here it goes.

9MB reel. right click save as (http://members.shaw.ca/ryanoreilly/RyanOReilly.wmv)

boop boop eee dooop

edit: thanks to Fredrik Wormke for the use of his hellboy model

TheGreat
01-08-2005, 03:07 PM
Im suprised no one posted back on this. I enjoyed it quite well. Only part that got me was when hell boy was singing. One or two words seemed a bit to slow.

Anyway... great stuff man!

Bye

Howitzer
01-08-2005, 11:24 PM
Oh man! That was crazy! I especially like the manikin-like caracters... they remind me of the androids in I-Robot. If I were the head of some CG company, I'd hire you!

seankeeton
01-09-2005, 03:28 AM
I think you have a lot of really good animation in there. I noticed that the very first bit of animation looks stiff though. Before the robot does that nice slide over, his ambient motion does not seem natural too me. Otherwise I like the reel a lot. Good job!

Naisa Evoli
01-09-2005, 07:06 AM
Very good job. I am new to the industry so may not catch things a more advanced animator would but, as far as I am concerned, it looked great. I loved how you switched it up alot with the mini golf scean and the program interuption. Showed creativity, and i also loved how you did the emotional and facial animation with the Hell Boy head bust. Alot of demo reels iv seen have people walking, running and jumping but not much pure charactor face emotion. I like how you had that in yours..

Arcon
01-10-2005, 07:59 AM
nice job - some good examples of stylized animation :)

i'd cut the facial animation clips that feature the robot (news item, and lollipop scenes). that's just my opinion, so take it with a grain of salt ;) but IMO they do weaken the reel. you really need a good face model to put any level of credibility into facial animation (like the red demon dude, nice morphin there :) )

smooth
01-10-2005, 08:13 AM
oh man, that was great

w0lf
01-10-2005, 08:35 AM
Holy crap man ..... It was a cool demo. I specially love the hell boy facial expressions when the ball roles through. Great work dude. I hope you get the job you're after. GOOD LUCK !!

Peace !

HenningK
01-12-2005, 09:39 AM
Very nicely animated. Nicely cut too.
Just where in the hells the stainboy/hertzfeldian little character we see in the screen shot? Eh? I missed him.
Oh well. The mannequins are okay, but I really enjoyed when we got a break from them, like say, the little bug. I'm not sayin you have to change it, just think about it next time. Good animation on many different body types is important too.
-Hen

ROWAN
01-12-2005, 07:53 PM
cool reel man i liked the hell boy singing the most , i wish i had thought of of that .A lot of work for a student reel i would be happy if i had that much good luck in the big bad world and keep it coming. :applause:

funkychicken
01-14-2005, 12:08 AM
Thanks alot for the replys guys...means alot. I cant wait to get out there into the so called big bad world! haha..

seankeeton - dang it looks stiff? (says alto for my acting skills haha) I had acted that out infront of my webcam and copied most of the movents...next time i'll hafta take off my full body cast when i deside to act out a scene. : )

Naisa Evoli - Thanks...I really enjoy facial animation so i spent some time on it.

cipher_studios - yeah it would be prime if i had a nicer head model on that bad boy...that one i had to model myself, i aint to much of a modelr and rigger so it same out a little stiffer than wanted.

HenningK - that little dude on the poster, he was a character design i did for one of our school shorts, made him into a lil 3d model as well, but the animations i made with him just naver made the cut. He's in diapers so i figured it was fitting cuz im a lil new born commin out of school...wow the metophores haha *cough nerd cough*

the lack of variety is mainly because im not much of a modeler or rigger, and there arnt that great of a range of models avaliable in XSI. *little violen*

thanks again...and feel free to let more loose

stupido
01-14-2005, 01:28 AM
Hi Ryan, i thought that the very best bit of animation on your reel was the little bug guy crawling on the sweet wrapper. That looked real nice. good luck and keep working!

s.

dahiya
01-14-2005, 08:01 PM
the bug and the singing Hellboy! top stuff!!
:thumbsup:

MonteBurns05
01-18-2005, 08:54 PM
I loved the reel... The music really set it for me, especially when he was runnin' on tha tread mill.. very good. I enjoyed it.

FireEyeC
01-25-2005, 01:27 AM
one of the best I've seen

okkio
01-25-2005, 04:20 AM
That is a really well animated character reel for a student.

Feedback as follows:

0- 21 sec, fantastic! Wonderful animation, great timing, chacacter could be lacking just a little weight.

26 sec, pose of character left of screen looks off balance. Acting needs more imagination. try acting out dialogue scenes and capturing key poses before animating.

38 sec, drunk stumbling needs more attention to balance/ counter balance. At certain times he would fall flat on his face in the real world.

57- great lipsync. well done!

remainder well animated.

Once again, great work. Animation of this level is rare in a student. Good luck.

funkychicken
02-03-2005, 09:05 PM
thanks alot to all of you for all of the encouragment and kind words, along with critiques. all of wich has helped. still shipping it out...and workin on new in the meen time

CGTalk Moderation
02-03-2006, 10:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.