PDA

View Full Version : 1-minute 2D animation about Curlygirl

ZeroDown
01-05-2005, 06:51 PM
Hi, I'm new on the forum, but I'd like to share a simple little 2D animation I did over the last week or so about a girl and her curlies.

I do mostly 3D animation, so this here was a little bit of an experiment for me.

Of course any feedback and/or critique is more than welcome.

You can watch the Quicktime movie on my site using the link below:

The Ominous Tales of Curlygirl (http://members.chello.nl/aa.pistoor/homeframeset.htm)

PS: anyone around here know how to get the Quicktime to have a progressive loading bar like it does on professional trailers like the ones on apple.com? Thanks in advance. ;)

ZeroDown signing out...

ChimpanG
01-05-2005, 10:04 PM
well 95% of it was credits, which got me really really bored, then after the waiting, there was no real plot, but for an animation test, its alright.

ZeroDown
01-05-2005, 11:20 PM
well 95% of it was credits, which got me really really bored, then after the waiting, there was no real plot, but for an animation test, its alright. I know the credits take up a little too much, percentage wise. So point taken. ;)

I am working on some longer stuff with Curlygirl so that shouldn't be a problem anymore in the future.

Any comments about the animation in general?

disrupt
01-07-2005, 02:57 PM
Hard to critique this. It could be funny in a Don Hertsfelt kind of way, but there isn't much there. It's pretty much just a stick figure. So in my opinion, try to come up with a character with more substance. I don't really know what else to critique, the animation is very forgiving in that style of a character.

alienwarez
01-10-2005, 07:56 AM
PS: anyone around here know how to get the Quicktime to have a progressive loading bar like it does on professional trailers like the ones on apple.com? Thanks in advance. When you make a .mov with Final Cut Pro, there is an option for progressive loading. I think that is what you are looking for.

Check out a video I made with FCP and see if that is what you are talking about. http://www.leetrout.com/new/stuff2.htm click on drums.mov
direct link http://www.digitalfallacy.com/class/Lee_Drums.mov

ZeroDown
01-11-2005, 06:59 PM
When you make a .mov with Final Cut Pro, there is an option for progressive loading. I think that is what you are looking for.

Check out a video I made with FCP and see if that is what you are talking about. Yes, that's exactly what I'm talking about. Thanks... unfortunately I work on a PC (I hate Mac's) and don't have Final Cut Pro. But I'll check if my software has a "progressive" Quicktime export function.

Thanks again!!! This was really helpful.

raito
01-12-2005, 07:37 PM
It may just be me, but I really don't like that style of squirming lines. The problem seems to be that, for example, you have 2 or 3 versions of the frame box, and keep changing them through the same cycle. My eyes pick up on the cycle more than what else is happening. If you must use the squiming lines technique, I'd suggest having at least 8 to 10 version of the lines, and changing them randomly. That might look better to me.

alienwarez
01-13-2005, 03:52 AM
Thanks again!!! This was really helpful.
Good luck! You might have the same option with quicktime pro (I think it can save files)

neonoodle
01-13-2005, 10:10 AM
Yep, quicktime pro lets you export movie files with progressive loading

Naisa Evoli
01-13-2005, 01:40 PM
I personally like idea. The music, the narrators voice both give it a nice feel, and from the looks of your short preliminary animation there, I think the style looks good. I like the simplicity of the style, but the animation still seems pretty solid. There isnít to much to the animation as far as walk cycles and complex movement and character acting (just a little frustration from he brush getting stuck, which I thought was done well) so we'll have to wait for more future episodes, but I think its good. I laughed^^. I agree though that the border is a little distracting and would cause me to go crazy in a longer episode. It works ok with this short animation becuase..well...Its short..lol. but i think in a longer version not only would it distract me from the story, but it would make me go insane..lol. Especially if you eventually made a series, and had like 10 or more episodes that i wanted to watch. I would be dreaming in squiggly lines for the next week >,<. Its hard to say how to fix this, because i like the looks the squiggly border adds to the style, but at the same time its distracting.. Maybe a good fix to this could be, keep the squiggly lines in the credits and stuff, but when the actual story starts, keep the lines squiggly, but donít animate them at all. Keep them static and motionless. Then if you have any action in a scene, or if a noise happens or something like that. You can do like a comic book type of effects, with a little text box and a " POW!", or "BOOM" or "CRASH!" or "ZIP" etc etc. And have the text box be the animated squiggly line. That way you can get that kool look in spurts, but its not distracting you from the story. Its actually helping the story by brining your attention to key elements. Anyway, just some ideas^^. Keep up the good work, I like the prelim stuff, hope to see a longer episode soon^^. good luck :).

ZeroDown
01-13-2005, 08:48 PM
I think its good. I laughed^^.
It's always nice to make people laugh. Even though it's only a simple film like this one. :)

I really wanted to keep this style simple, so I can concentrate more on the movement when I do longer stuff. Which I'm certainly still planning to do. So glad to hear you like the simple style. Even though it hasn't showcased my animation very well yet.

I agree though that the border is a little distracting and would cause me to go crazy in a longer episode. It works ok with this short animation becuase..well...Its short..lol. but i think in a longer version not only would it distract me from the story, but it would make me go insane..lol.
I agree totally. In fact it was my original plan to move the camera in a bit when the credits were over so you would go into the border as is were. But in the end it turned out so short that it was hardly the effort to do that.

Your post made me think however that maybe I can play around with the border some more during the longer episode. You had some great ideas.

I'll keep everyone posted on the progress of the longer episode. Still working on story ideas for that one. Thanks for thinking along anyway! That's always nice.

CGTalk Moderation
01-20-2006, 09:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.