PDA

View Full Version : Final Cut Pro.Chroma Keying

Chokore-to Purin
01-05-2005, 03:44 PM
i posted this in the cinematography board, and was told i could get more luck here.
"hello all, i'm a noob here and was wondering if you guys had any advice for me, see i'm a student in High School working on my independant study in film and in the film me and my partner need to use some green screens, its a little futuristic, and in the process of searching for some chroma keying tutorials, i found this site. i was wondering if anyone uses Final Cut Pro and if they do, if they had some advice on how to properly use the chroma key in the program, we've been messing around with it, but it always comes out crappy. any help is greatly appreiciated."

vinteg
01-27-2005, 05:35 PM
I assume that since this is a high school independent project, you're probably shooting miniDV.

1) See if you can get a hold on a really good camera, like the Sony VX2000 or Canon XLS1. Try to shoot in progressive mode to get full frames. Try to get a 3CCD Camera with a good lense, will make a huge difference.

2) When shooting green screen, make sure your actor is as far away from the green screen as possible. This will prevent spillage on him when you key him out. Make sure the green background is well lit and evenly lit. Make sure your actor is well lit as well. You wanna avoid gain or any digital noise from low lighting. Also lock down your iris.

3) MiniDV will give you crappy results because of the 5:1 compression and blockiness of the source. You're shooting in a 4:1:1 color sampling. You're also in YUV color space. You need to blur the UV channels to get decent results. There are plugins for Final Cut that will blur those channels for you.

4) See if you can get a comping program like Shake, AE or Combustion. Keylight in Shkae and AE personally works well for me. You'll need to color correct afterwards as well. Don't expect to get a clean key with one click. It might take a few different keys and then a combination of them to make it look good.

Check out this link to 2POP. Its to a FCP centric forum:
http://www.uemforums.com/2pop/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?Cat=&C=11

Good luck with your project!

John Herbert
02-07-2005, 01:39 PM
Getting that evenly lit green screen can be a problem especially for the less experienced. Checkout Chromatte from Reflecmedia.com. It utilises a retroreflective cloth to provide a simple solution to producing a very even green (or blue) screen. Because you do not have to light the cloth you save time and money and can work in spaces you would not normally be able to as the talent can be placed flat up against the cloth.

vinteg
02-11-2005, 07:23 PM
http://www.kenstone.net/fcp_homepage/chroma_key_fcp_hd_monahan.html

Here's a detail article about Chroma Keying in FCP.

CGTalk Moderation
02-11-2006, 08:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.