PDA

View Full Version : WIP Portrait: My Girls

jbradley
01-05-2005, 03:31 PM
http://www.magicsnacks.com/shiftedpixels/cgtalk/MyGirls_small1.jpg

This was a finished work - I completed this in time for a Christmas gift for my wife. It's a portrait of her and our white lab puppy.

Done in photoshop with all sorts of brushes and a fairly extreme use of the smudge tool for the fuzz and hair. Format is about 8x11 at 300 dpi.

I would rather have it as a poster so I'm revisiting it to uprez the painting and adjust some of the details and clean up some areas I think needed some work (nose, hair, more fuzz on the sweater). As an aside, I'm also considering colorizing it ... but not sure if it'll help it or not. I guess I could do two versions.

I'll update with some detail shots after I make some adjustments. My first posting of any work I've done, so go easy on me. :)

Comments/crits welcome.

magnetos
01-05-2005, 04:25 PM
excellent work jbradley you've got yourself 2 beatifull girls :)
not much to comment really
the dog's right ear looks a bit too smudged
and her upper lip with the nose shadow , looks odd

as for colorizing it ...sure go for it I'm sure it will look amazing

great work keep it coming

jbradley
01-05-2005, 09:28 PM
Yea, agree about the ear. The idea originally was to make it look folded over (her ears are quite floppy), but it does look somewhat odd. I definitely have to fix that nose shadow. Been looking at it too long - now that you point it out it's buggin me. :)

I'll post some updates either later today or tomorrow. I'd like to get the hair done first but am not sure whether or not I want this to be a realism portrait or not. I'm fairly new to the digital painting realm and am trying to get my skills up there so I can try my hand at matte art. We'll see how that goes...

thanks for the comments.

Ognus
01-06-2005, 12:07 AM
some of the shading above the lip makes the skin look lumpy or scarred as opposed to the very smooth forehead and cheeks.
that must have taken a lot of patience to use the smudge tool for all that fur and hair! but it paid off, as most things requiring patience do.
reminds me of two sayings
"succesful people learn to do what nobody else wants to do"
and
"never underestimate the power in doing something very, very slow"

the latter being more of a paraphrase since i cant remember the exact words.

i think the fold in her collar looks great.

good work!
i definately think you should color it,
a) because it would be a good excersize in coloring b&w work
and b) because its a nice picture.

jbradley
01-06-2005, 02:21 PM
Thanks for the comments - they all make sense. I've started to go in and add detail. Here's a cropped in shot of the dog, and before/after progress as I'm working on the hair. I figured it would be nice to just go for realism in this one...

[edit: images were swapped. hah]

Before:

http://www.magicsnacks.com/shiftedpixels/cgtalk/dogClose.jpg

In Progress:

http://www.magicsnacks.com/shiftedpixels/cgtalk/dogCloseDetail.jpg

I'd like to get the detail on the dog complete today so I can then move onto cleaning up some problem areas.

... hair is tough to do. Argh.

supremo
01-07-2005, 02:20 AM
Very nice work! I'm imagining all the time it took you to do the dog hair! Arg!

One thing I'm seeing that isn't a big thing at all but might help: seems like the background is too light for my taste. I'd be interested to see what it does to the picture if you darkened it a little.

I'd also be interested to see how you handle the colors for this one.

rwijaya
01-07-2005, 03:31 AM
wow, i really want to see this piece finished. looks awesome

Cadron
01-07-2005, 04:25 AM
Very nice indeed - and what a great idea for a xmas present, i will have to remember that one in the future.

In regards to colourising it - i think that it works great in b&w but as someone has said already - it would be a great exercise!

Keep up with the great work - i am liking the updated dog

Regards - Cade-Wyatt

alastairwinter
01-07-2005, 04:44 AM
Hi there,

First time posting here, and well I just browsed around the WIPs seeing if I could maybe help out a bit (or at least try to).

Only things I can see here (most of it's great man, really) is maybe the left ear of the dog (the one not talked about). When I looked at the original, and maybe you've already tweaked it, is that with the background and lighting it's really hard to see the left ear. Maybe a little contrast there would show it a bit better (I mean you can tell there's this thing hanging off, but a little more I thought would bring it out a bit better).

Another thing, and it could be the way it's supposed to be, was I was wondering about her nose. The bridge part just seems a bit off, I can't say exactly what but I just thought maybe there was something a bit amiss... (could be just me. :) )

Um, the only other thing I thought was something someone else already said about the background, it's nice but sort of light and something slightly darker near her sweater may make her seperate away from the background more (like her hair does for her).

Nice, and I do mean nice cg. Can't wait to see how color turns out (if you do decide to do it), and the hair to the dog (in the updated version) looks great. Really hope I said something useful, and keep on keepin' on.

PixelPlay
01-07-2005, 10:29 AM
Very nice! The only thing that bugs me is that your wife seems to have her eyes closed rather than looking at your puppy. The downward looking eye is two dark curved lines seperated by a less dark area and the pupil can still be seen as a dark spot. Hope this helps.

ACantarel
01-07-2005, 10:41 AM
Wow! Just nice! I really like it. The fur of the dog is perfect.Also a good chosen motive :)
This one could be also final.

André

jbradley
01-07-2005, 05:09 PM
Thanks for all the comments everyone! I've made some changes to it (slight) and am almost complete with the details on the dog. Hoping I can get that part done soon so that I can move on to the rest of the piece.

Here's an updated look at the hair, some adjustments to shading, and a first try at coloring. The color looks a bit bright, but I'm going for that surreal style, a bit overexposed - not quite reality. It does need tweaking though.

First...

http://www.magicsnacks.com/shiftedpixels/cgtalk/TZ_dogColor.jpg

Hair/Foot detail:

http://www.magicsnacks.com/shiftedpixels/cgtalk/TZ_dogColorDetail.jpg

I know, the hair has a slight pattern to it when you zoom up close. Hoping to have time to get rid of that after the majority of detail is added.

I should've gone for color right from the bat. Right now it's a color layer on top of all the other layers. I will probably switch the color layer to be a base and then overlay the sketch and paint layers on top of that in multiply or other layer modes. Who knows. Not there yet. :)

mol
01-07-2005, 05:39 PM
Very nice work so far. Cant wait to see more.

supremo
02-18-2005, 01:21 AM
Anything going on with this one or has it been back-burnered for the time being?

CGTalk Moderation
02-18-2006, 02:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.