PDA

View Full Version : PA challenge- Character- Danko

Danko
02-08-2002, 09:33 PM
Hi there! :)
I'm a newbie here, I've been visiting CG Talk since a friend talked me about it a week ago. I registered this morning after getting "hooked" by the challenge and the many talented entries. I don't even know if I'll have the time to finish a model but I'd like to try it :) . Today I've been looking for a place to upload my WIP images (I didn't know until today I needed one... :D ) but I think I finally have all I need to modestly enter the challenge. The only thing left is finding time to spend on it!
I've started modeling a head and a torso without a previous design so I'm taking most of the decisions on the way. Sugestions and ideas will be welcome! :D
The model is by now very low poly, I don't know if that's a good idea but I use to smooth it later to ad the minor details. That's all I have by now:

http://www.terra.es/personal8/937984618/gfx/WIP/001st.jpg

Im' still working on the shoulder pads and helmet but that's how they actually look:

http://www.terra.es/personal8/937984618/gfx/WIP/002nd.jpg

All crits will be welcome! Hope to update the WIP next monday with the things I'll ad during this weekend.
Hasta pronto! :)

pixelfairy
02-08-2002, 11:34 PM
Wow...great start! can't wait to see the update! I really like how the face and torso are looking. Hope you find time to work on it this weekend!

Danko
02-09-2002, 01:19 AM
Thanks for your encourage post pixelfairy! ;) is the first answer I get and I still don't know well how all this works. I've been looking to other threads and I've really liked them a lot, but now I have some doubts... :D
I've seen some characters modeled already in a pose and some others in "stand by" position. I had think of modeling it in "X" shape to better set up a skeleton later and pose it once skined and finished as I've always done but now I'm not sure how would be better to do it :P . I don't like too much messing with bones, but still think it may be better for cloning extremities doing it stretched...
Anyway, I guess I'll safe some work doing things like I've always done them, but if anyone can give me a clue I'll be grateful! ;)

DAVID LOPEZ
02-12-2002, 06:02 PM
Your model looks very well. I think you would first complete the body before of adding accesories.

Ideally you must model the man in "X", and after move the skeleton to the posse that you want. For this you need to know a little how animation works.

What program are you using? I use 3D Studio. How will you render the final image? I think 3Dstudio don´t reach the quality of the renders I have seen in this page. Or maybe I don´t know enough about render motors...

I'm also a newbie here. In fact, this is my first mail. I hope I upload some images for the challenge soon. This challenge is a great idea!

Animo, compadre

Danko
02-12-2002, 11:30 PM
Hi David!
Thanks for the post!. You are right, I've been working on the arms and legs to complete the body leaving details for later. The shoulder Pads and helmet are just an approach by now so I'll be back on them again. I'm not happy with the hands at all so I'll also have to do some fixing on them :/. The chest won't stay that bare and I'm thinking on some metal protection. Here's how it looks by now:
http://alshaheen.net/artists/danko/003rd.jpg
http://alshaheen.net/artists/danko/004th.jpg
http://alshaheen.net/artists/danko/005th.jpg

David: I use 3D Studio Max with the built-in renderer. For the final model I will try to use a diferent one to see if I can get a better result. Which one would you use? is there any free?

I'll be waiting for some feedback! thanks! :)

Danko
02-13-2002, 11:46 PM
Well... I had some problems with my images not being displayed on the thread. I've uploaded them to alshaheen (thanks fellow! ;) ) and now everything is working fine. I've made some new renders with global illumination so here I post them. David you're right... I think that the difference is quite noticeable.
The hands are still very chunky I know... :rolleyes: be back on them later. I'll soon start adding details and will also probably change the helmet cause I'm not sure it's apropiate. Comments as always will be welcome ;)

http://alshaheen.net/artists/danko/006th.jpg
http://alshaheen.net/artists/danko/007th.jpg

RoRo
02-14-2002, 01:23 AM
funny veryvery good :eek:

Daymeare
02-14-2002, 01:35 AM
It looks great
except the arms, they look to fluid

as for the cest u can move it forward a little and say
its a very stilish breast plate

pabbloz
02-14-2002, 04:08 AM
EESSS--PAAA---ÑÑÑAA!!! :D :D

Great Job! Very cool armor and legs!

What is going to be his weapon?
It could be a ..mmm... fire-shotgun?... (in spanish: lanzallamas) :)
Like in the begining of the film Letal Weapon 4 !

Danko
02-14-2002, 02:15 PM
Thanks for the feedback and comments! =)

I'm doing some testing with the textures although I still have a lot of modeling to do there. Sometimes I jump to photoshop when I get mad with Max :p . Thanks roro! :)
Daymeare: Don't know for sure what do you mean whit "fluid arms" but think I guess it. They are maybe very "blooby", I'll work on them and the hands later on although I'm planning not to mirror the arm and making a robotic one, maybe with the weapon implanted...
Pabbloz: Hola chavalote! ;D somos mas de los que parecemos, como una plaga! XD. I had think on a heavier weapon, maybe a rocket launcher, but I don't dislike the flamethrower idea! I'll begin working on the weapon once I have most of the armor finished.
I'll update soon with new pics, maybe on friday.
Thanks again for the comments!! =)

big b
02-14-2002, 06:23 PM
awesome. totally awesome

Koma
02-14-2002, 07:20 PM
good starting ,need more detail on the boot ,on the legs,the arm and hand looking weird ,and for the abdominal muscle i think you mistake 2 or 4 other ,he doesnt have a 6 pac but a for and it look unnaturel ...only my opinion good job anyway

Danko
02-15-2002, 04:17 PM
Hi there!

I couldn't work too much on the model lately so I don't have any big update by now. I just have some texture tests but not definitive. The arms are not maped by now because they'll be probably covered with armor gadgets and I was to lazy :P . I'll jump to modelling stage again on monday because there are still a lot of things to fix :( . This weekend I won't have the computer (enough Max during the week ;) ) so probably I won't update it until next tuesday.

http://alshaheen.net/artists/danko/009th.jpg
http://alshaheen.net/artists/danko/008th.jpg

Gabe: You're right on the miss of details, is something I know. I'm modifiying the legs and adding more torso armor. Beside doing this I'll fix the abs matter, seems he has lost at least a pair of them ;P
Thanks for the compliment Big b :)

Looking forward your replies! =)

DAVID LOPEZ
02-15-2002, 04:49 PM
You´ve worked hard, Danko!

Your model is growing up fast. I´m agree with the rest of the people, arms and hands could be better.

What a ugly face! I hope it isn´t your face.

Nice work

pabbloz
02-15-2002, 05:01 PM
yes... I agree with all! you can and have to improve the armas and hands!!
Excelents textures!

We want discover the weapon!

Danko
02-16-2002, 03:40 AM
hehehe! :D

It seems I'll have to remake the arms and hands :rolleyes: . I neither like them but thoght they would pass more unperceived :P .
I've started modelling a mask/respirator and as soon as I end with it I'll be back on the arms, I promise (and I'll build a bigger armor, and more details in the boots and legs, and the weapon, and...) . Guess I won't have time for everything.
David, the only personal pictures I used to skin my model are the torso ones... :D ...just kidding... By the way, I hope the mask will fix that, but you know, his uglyness is a post-apocaliptic "colateral damage" :D
Now seriously, I have in mind retouching the textures (if I finally use those) to make them less simetrical adding scares, metal implants, etc... but definitely I'll left that for later.
Have a nice weekend!!

Danko
02-19-2002, 02:11 PM
Hi there!

Some new things! I made some pose studies with the model as it was with the temp skins and here I post an image with some of them. I had a nice time messing with CS... :p

http://alshaheen.net/artists/danko/010th.jpg

Definitely he was looking too 'naked' and I didn't like at all the arms and helmet. I've done a respirator and remake a new helmet that I think that fits better. A couple of general shoots and a closer one of the mask:

http://alshaheen.net/artists/danko/011th.jpg
http://alshaheen.net/artists/danko/012th.jpg
http://alshaheen.net/artists/danko/013th.jpg

Still a lot of work to do on the arms, the abs, and tons of details missing on the legs and boots. I think that will be the next step :). Hope to get some feedback... c u !

BASSit
02-19-2002, 03:24 PM
Really great work ! How long does it take you to set up the biped ? Or did you used a sceleton ? And how often have you done this rigging-job before this character ?

Very cool poses btw... I liked it more without the breast-armor - now you don´t see your fantastic texture-work ;) Did you paint them all by yourself ?

Keep it goin´

DanielSLimon
02-19-2002, 03:49 PM
OOOOOOHHH!!! :eek:

Much better now ! good job. I like it much more with this new helmet and mask.

Well, it seems it's almost done. Are you thinking in adding him more details?

fellah
02-19-2002, 04:11 PM
crits:
to much sun for the textured guy.
the wrist\hands look somewhat weird.

Q, did you paint the skin texture (except the face) by hand or is it a "retouched" photo?

I really like the texture render especially the top three guys of it. you're very talanted.

hobbes
02-20-2002, 12:09 AM
Very nice modelling, i like his looking specially with this new mask.
keep it on.:)

Koma
02-20-2002, 09:17 AM
very cool mask ,keep it up

pFodere
02-20-2002, 01:33 PM
hi Danko !

very good model, it' s an warrior or policeman maybe ?

i like the top of your armor, and the render it's so fine :)

congratulations and let' s go !!

Carny
02-20-2002, 04:01 PM
I really like is Armor! But the muscels especially on the upperarm are looking weird.

Danko
02-20-2002, 06:31 PM
Hi again!

Thanks a lot for the comments and crits! =)

I'm working on the new mask and googles and I hope that I'll be able to post a new image this afternoon. I know about the hands, wrist and arms problems, I'll do some fixing on there later... (maybe out of date :p )

Bassit: As I can't actually work very frequently on this model I don't have an exact idea of how much does it take me doing everything. I use Character Studio so placing the biped an setting it up could approx. took me 4 hours? or maybe less can tell for sure... ;) I've done it before although I can't say I'm very skilled on it, it's always a bit messy for me...
Daniel S: thanks :D I think the armor is more suitable for the character than a bare chest... a pitty for the torso texture but nevertheless..
Fellah: Yes.. you're completely right, I'll desaturate the texture because it's certainly too redish :/ . Know about the weird arms. As for the textures, I use to work with photographic references, retouching, bluring highlights, etc. I posted the texture here some days ago and here I post the photo reference, He's a bodybuilder and hope he's not going to ask me copyrights! :P

http://alshaheen.net/artists/danko/014th.jpg

Thanks Hobbes, Gabe and Patrick for the comments! I really appreciate them a lot!

Danko
02-21-2002, 03:59 PM
Just two new renders of the new mask and googles. It seems than the renderer did not get the transparency of the glass material than I originally assigned to the googles, but don't know certainly why...

http://alshaheen.net/artists/danko/015th.jpg

http://alshaheen.net/artists/danko/016th.jpg

I'm actually redoing the arms hope to end with them soon :/.

System404
02-21-2002, 11:35 PM
love that new mask!!!

psumo
02-22-2002, 12:49 AM
You have a great looking model there

I was looking at your textures and I think
it might not be a good idea to include lighting information
in the texture. lighting information meaning the shadows and
darker and lighter parts of the skin
This is because the character will be hard to light in a rendered
scene. If your intent is to make this a videogame character then
that is fine to do that but I would suggest you go towards
another direction on the skin textures

Danko
02-22-2002, 02:20 PM
Friday!

Today I expect to do my last update until the 1st of march! :/ . This weeking I'm going skiing and I will be far from the computer for six days. I'll survive.. :P

Thanks sytem404! it was funny to me doing the mask, glad you like it!
Psumo: Yeap, you're right. At the begining I had in mind texturing it as a lowpoly model but finally I jump to highpoly (polycount was being to high for an in-game model) and discard the textures. I know that with shadows like the one under the chest it would be impossible to get a fair render with light coming from his feet but I was just doing some testing and that way I could add some detail and depth with a relative "light" polygon count. Thanks for the comment anyway! =)
I've nearly finished one of the new arms I'll try to post a preview today....
Thanks for the nice comments!

hobbes
02-22-2002, 02:38 PM
it's better and better danko!i like the new addition.
just one thing: for his googles i think it could be great if you include them better with his mask.Maybe
it's this pink color:)
great! i'll look forward to see the arms.

Pancreas
02-22-2002, 10:29 PM
I´ve been watching this character´s progress and it´s amazing, the mask has got a lot of improvement, the less face it shows, the better it looks (no offence meant, the face was great, but the mask is much better).

CerberusC
02-28-2002, 08:44 AM
hey i like it sooooo much, it reminds me Quake 3 characters hehehehe

Gooooooood mask, yesss master hehe

Moooooula :) me mola bastante la mascara, yo suavizaria un poco mas en cuanto al número de polígonos total, esta toadavia como demasiado picudo, pero me encanta :)

Danko
03-01-2002, 06:18 PM
I'm back from the trip!
Any big update by now, I'm still working in the new arm and hand :( .
Hobbes: Thanks for the appreciation on his googles, my material seemed not the be transparent when rendered in Brazil and it became that pinky, I've fix that, thanks!
Pancreas: I'm completely agree with you! he was too ugly to let him walk around without his mask ;P.
CerberusC: Glad you like it! I may have Q3 influences as I've played it almost everyday since it appeared ;D (I'm ill I know...) The last render was unsmoothed I've also fixed that ;). Thanks for the comments!

http://alshaheen.net/artists/danko/017th.jpg

I actually won't have too much time to work on it until march the 8th but hope at least to make a couple of updates. Thanks again to everyone for the kind comments! :)

Piz
03-02-2002, 05:46 PM
Hi Danko,

very beutiful colors and volumes.... :D
I like very much the "skin" look texture style....

:D

Finsh him!! :p

Hi
Piz
:D

Carny
03-02-2002, 06:09 PM
The mask/helmet is still awsome! :D Add some more details or stuff to the hip and the Boots... in contrast to the helmet they look a bit naked. The arms are realy looking better then before! Maybe work a bit at the hands and it would look much better! :p
GO! Danko! GO! :D

Danko
03-04-2002, 05:25 PM
I've finished working on the new arm. Not to sure about it 'cause I had a quite heavy basemaesh and started getting mad with the vertices before meshmooting. Dumb mistake adding useless geometry :(. I'll have to do another new arm :D Will leave it for later, legs and boots are still very very simple and have to start the hands!. I know for sure I won't be on time but want to spend some more time on the character as I'm having fun with it :).

Here's the new meshsmoothed arm... handless XD I think that I've overdetailed the forearm :/ will fix that.

http://alshaheen.net/artists/danko/018th.jpg

I'll try to post how it fits on the character later.

Piz: Thanks for the comment! I still don't know if I will add texture maps or leave those procedurals. I'll be back on them... later :rolleyes:
Carny: Thanks for the compliment!! Mate, I really dig your character, awesome!! Very clean mesh, love it :). I'll jump to the legs and boots now, after seeing your hands I have no courage to start on this now ;P. Thanks for the support also! It seems Totich and Pabbloz introduced this kind e-support fashion! :) . Here's some feedback! ;DDD
GO! Carny GO!
GO! Carny GO!
GO! Carny GO!

Carny
03-04-2002, 05:43 PM
Heeey! Thats youre Thread, not mine! :p
The new arm is MUCH better then the old, i can tellya!
At the outer side of the lower arm, the muscles look like tendons, give them a bit more volume, that they look stronger and merge them more together. And at the shoulder teh Tricebs is going a bit to high. normaly the shoulder muscle (remember, its seperated into three parts) ens in the middle of the triceb and teh biceb. But youre on the right way!
GO! DANKO GO!
GO! DANKO GO!
GO! DANKO GO!
:D :D :D

pabbloz
03-05-2002, 04:17 AM
hey Danko! this arm is a lot better! God job!
I think the top part is very well modelled, but the bottom one is very detailled, couldn't you do it with the same level of detail of the top? I think it will be much better!
So, rounded it, with out "tendons" and you will have a excelent arm for you character!!

now.... the hands! :)

p.s.: I like more the light render than the other.
p.s.2: don't you think the organ between legs is a bit long? :D

Carny
03-05-2002, 04:38 AM
Originally posted by pabbloz

p.s.2: don't you think the organ between legs is a bit long? :D

No! Not for Mjr. Danko! :D

Danko
03-07-2002, 08:56 PM
That's all for me! It's been funny but stressful! ;D

Well I finally throw the towel as my W.I.P is by now :). Time did caught me and won't have time to update my character anymore. It finally become a "handless torso" more than a character :D as there was still a lot of work to do on the hands and legs so I prefered to post just an upper pic. It's and will be "in progress" for long but at least I wanted to upload a last hour picture just to show where I've arrived with this ugly man :).

http://alshaheen.net/artists/danko/019th.jpg

Replies!
Pabbloz: Yup! I'm glad you like the new arm, I'm still not too sure of it. The forearm is a mess and hand didn't arrive on time. Lots of "to do" things stayed left on the bag... About the render, I don't like any of them but will fix it just for my eyes in a "out of date" personal update :P Regarding the organ between his legs... hehehehe! I guess that unvoluntary I was trying to catch the female votes for this contest. XD just kidding.. I know that the lower torso still needed a LOT of work...Btw! I love your entry!!! Goood job there! Thanks for all the comments and support!
Carny: Hi there muscle-mesh-builder-24/7-anatomic-man! ;D Thanks for the nice comments again. Love your oversized character!, seems mine get also subconsciently oversized on some parts of his anatomy... :P Well I didn't had the time to model his weapon but everyone noticed where he's carrying it!! :D :D :D

Thanks again to everyone! and "see" you soon!

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 01:39 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.