PDA

View Full Version : is multi-patch modeling a professional method?

monsitj
01-04-2005, 05:47 PM
Hi! , just want to know the up to date workflow ,
first , i have to tell that , i'm not the professional , and all i know about modeling workflow is
1. nurb- modeling : (surface) for industrial design , car , that require accurate , use trim surface , etc,
2. polygon- subdivision:(solid) for charactor and organic modeling
3. Multi-patch modeling : a series of network curve to form the surface,
and my curious is , after i watch the old holllywood film making- of , they rely heavily on multi-patch method ,
the point is , now , what method that professional artist use? is it important that u have to model in multipatch method effeiciency for break in to the professional industry,
thanks in advance for any comments!!:)

MSB
01-05-2005, 06:03 AM
As I know

they start with basic Nurbs object to get 4 sided-faces the convert to poly and refine the model at the very last they convert it to SubD.

jdexforwords
01-05-2005, 07:14 AM
I saw multi-patch model in many proffesional production, such as Ryan, Ice Age.
Advantage of NURBS multi-patch model give us resolution independent situation in rendering stage IMO. But I also curious about how they make texture for many surfaces.

MSB
01-06-2005, 05:55 AM
I saw multi-patch model in many proffesional production, such as Ryan, Ice Age.
Advantage of NURBS multi-patch model give us resolution independent situation in rendering stage IMO. But I also curious about how they make texture for many surfaces.
there's many approahces + u should know exactlly what the paramezintaion is.

1- u can convert it to polys then take the unwrap version and paint the texture and put it back to MutliPatch model

2-use shader with special colour map that has map and can lead you to the correct way when u paint

3-paint it through 3D paint and take the map and export it to paint programme and use it as guide.

4-3D paint pakage

chocolate198
08-21-2005, 02:24 PM
Wow !! thanks

XaMiC
08-21-2005, 04:01 PM
Sony,ILM,dreamworks uses NURBS model(Patch model mostly) from start to end.
The reason is CONTROL.

CGTalk Moderation
08-21-2005, 04:01 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.