PDA

View Full Version : Need some help

chris411
09-05-2002, 02:58 AM
Hi! I am a beginning amateur free time artist, right now in the process of learning lightwave. I have come up with a problem with my latest 3d model, and I was wondering if anyone could help. :) I am trying to make a dagger, but I cannot get the blade right. What I have tried to do was create the base shape, and then use the pen and bezier tools to create the edges and finally fill the sides with patches or something. However, I kind of saw that this was not going to work. I thought about using something like the extrude and bevel took, except that the slopes of the edges are not even. I have looked long and hard for a tutorial that would just give me a hint on how to do something like this but to no avail. Take a look for yourself-
http://galileo.spaceports.com/~chris411/3d/3d.html
Now, I am not asking for a full blown tutorial on this, but I could use a suggestion or two on how to go about constructing the blade.
Thanks. :)

Tumerboy
09-05-2002, 03:06 AM
I would create the orthographic views (which you've got)
then take one of those, doesn't really matter which one, copy it to another layer, and then bevel that, move it to where the next point is on the other orthos, scale it to fit those points, rinse and repeat, and repeat, and repeat, and repeat, and repeat. . . . ad nauseum.

There may (and probably is) another (and better) way, but that would work, and it would probably give you the most control over your model.

Good luck

Lizard Head
09-05-2002, 08:18 AM
Hi
A quick tut I did on the blade, hope it helps!, any questions?? just ask.

Adios
Lizard*

http://www.lizard-head.com/Images/Design/Avatar/knife001.gif
http://www.lizard-head.com/Images/Design/Avatar/knife002.gif

Kaiser_Sose
09-05-2002, 09:18 AM
In the objects > weapons folder there is a dagger object which comes wih a scene too

eheupel
09-05-2002, 12:52 PM
Well you have the start for some good spline patches to make it happen, but another way which is quick...

Since you want everything equal, create one quarter of the cross section curve. ( point by point, or use a stretched circle then kill the poly and delete uneeded points) Mirror it across either the X or Y axis to create half then mirror again to create the whole. Merge points, then with your new cross section create a polygone, extrude or rail extrude your lenght out. If you use extrude (as opposed to rail extrude) then you will want to knife or bandsaw perpindicular to the length of the blade to create enough geometry to form the tape to a point. Use scale and stretch or magnet to form the taper to a point. at the very tip, where the point of the blade is, merge points.
It's quick, and it works.

proton
09-05-2002, 01:16 PM
Lizard-

I would love to see that as a full blown tutoriall on the LightWave site....interested?:thumbsup:

Lizard Head
09-05-2002, 05:13 PM
A request from Proton is as a good as a request from the all mighty,, and as with him, you cant say NO!! As you can see I use 5.6c and I would think you would want it more current then that.. I do have the 7.0 demo that was sent me, and I await my Discovery edition... So since a Dagger is got to be less than 200 points I will fire up my DEMO version and put togther a whole Dagger tut for the site , textures and all!!

Adios
Lizard*

Your Focus determines your reality

chris411
09-05-2002, 10:42 PM
Thank you very much! A question though, Lizard. Is it possible to keep some edges sharp once I have subpatched the blade? Or do I just have to edit the points (drag until it is sharp)?
Thanks again everyone! :)

Underwurlde
09-05-2002, 10:55 PM
chris. have you tried weighting your points ? I don't have LW fired up at the moment and I'm very new to it myself but if you are in 'W' mode you can weight verts to create sharp corners on subpatched objects using ' New Weight maps' then 'Weights' on the Map tab in Modeler.

Lizard Head
09-06-2002, 01:19 AM
Yes Weight maps are the way to go with creating the sharp edges.. I didnt show that cause LW5.6 doesnt have that feature but I was going to mention it in my text... but now that Mr. Proton has requested a tutorial ( how can I say NO?) I will include the weight map explanation in the tut..

Adios
Lizard*

proton
09-06-2002, 02:22 AM
Lizard Head you rock:buttrock:

chris411
09-06-2002, 04:06 AM
Beautiful... thanks a million :buttrock:

DigitalDeuce
09-06-2002, 04:07 AM
Then, Lizard, start a bake sale and get with the 7.5 crew!

That was one of the questions that I was asked at Siggraph - what is the difference between 5.6 and 7.5.

Anyone who asked me that got a Discovery Edition CD.

CIM
09-06-2002, 04:33 AM
http://vwdesign.hypermart.net/downloads/RT_Set_VMap_Val_1.zip

You can use my free LScript to create your sharp edges in real-time. Just select the points/polys and move the minislider.

Lizard Head
09-06-2002, 05:34 AM
Mr Deuce
I am on my way to upgrade, I have Discovery in the mail and plan on taking full advantage of student status to get an Edu version when I can afford it,, but right now I have Autodesk and Discreet being rammed down my throat at the educational institution of my choice at 450+ a pop, once I digest that I will get on the upgrade bandwagon with Newtek...

Adios
Lizard*

Lizard Head
09-06-2002, 05:48 AM
Thanks CIM, good to see you around these parts, as always, you are a great help!!!!

Adios
Lizard

CIM
09-06-2002, 06:23 AM
I've always been here (even way back on the old board). You must have missed me or something. :D

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 03:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.