PDA

View Full Version : A workflow question

XAQT
01-03-2005, 09:00 AM
A workflow question...

My faulty workflow always kills my motivation during modelling stage. I think it has to do with the way I use my modelling software. I find myself designing and trying different things out in max. Within minutes Iím lost in details and when I go back to the overall shape and want to change it, I lose all my work in the detailed parts...

... this results in days wasted with no progress ... every time! I hate it!

Is this due:
a) my poor modelling skills?
b) design first, only model in modelling software
c) other...

gr. x

stewartjones
01-03-2005, 03:52 PM
I would work on planning your models on paper first, before you even touch your moeling software. If you wanna experiment, why not just open your software and play around with it, then transfer any neat skills you picked up when actually modeling the main object?!?!

Also, if you just have to experiment when modeling, why not rough the full object out first, then add detail. Meaning that you can save the scene in it's most basic form, and then mess around with it... If you don't like it, just revert back to the last saved! :shrug:

Just a thought!

Kanga
01-04-2005, 06:02 AM
.....I lose all my work in the detailed parts...
Yeah thats a real killer for more reasons than the obvious. Watching video tutes you may notice the artist tweaking the big shapes ALOT. The reason is that the denser the mesh the more fiddly it becomes. Try train yourself to look at the large masses while you are working if they arnt any good (expressive) then no ammount of detail will bring a model to life. Also its often knowing what to 'leave out' that can be a real eye catcher.

ShadowM8
01-04-2005, 07:55 AM
Well as important as I think design and conceptualization is, you will always find yourself experimenting and trying different things while you are modeling, that's just part of the process.

To make life easier it's important to not attach yourself to your work too much. You have to be able to accept change and look at your work objectively.

If you aren't a strong modeler or are not familiar with subject at hand, build proxy models (simplified very low poly models). That will help you to establish proportions and the overall shape of your object.

Make sure to look at the silhouette once in a while. A good way to do so is to apply a constant material (black color) to the model and take out any specular. See how it feels without the details visible.

Research!!! If you find yourself moving the same point over and over then there is a good chance you don't know what you are doing. Go find reference of the part you are modeling, think about how it is constructed, think about it's line flow, draw it out in Photoshop, and then attempt to model it again.

Good Luck!

XAQT
01-05-2005, 07:35 AM
Seperating playtime and buildtime would be a good start indeed.

Also when I start to build a model, I should just work with what I know at that time and build the best I can. Too often I'm having problems with a certain part of the mesh and find myself wasting several hours on the net searching for a better solution then my own. This way my progress stays low, although it feels like my knowledge and skills are growing. This is not true tho, which's even more frustrating.

Even now I'm thinking, wondering and talking about how to improve my workflow/skills. Aargh... JUST MODEL YOU IDIOT...

Thanks! I'm off modeling now!

CGTalk Moderation
01-20-2006, 07:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.