PDA

View Full Version : Character: General Andrew Jackson and Heather O'Rourke from Poltergeist

peachstapler
01-03-2005, 04:51 AM
Welcome to another of my paintings, although this time around it has a obsure yet serious underlying message. It's one of those pieces where people who understand history will think they get it and the people with no knowledge of history will get offended and tell me to "love it or leave it" and piss on my car.

What you're looking at is Andrew Jackson holding Heather O'Rourke from Poltergeist while standing in a field of dead Seminole Indians.

CONCEPT SKETCH:

http://www.peachstapler.com/jackson_concept.jpg

She's holding the ace of spades. I'm going to do this with drab blues and greens, actual size is 9500 by 6700 pixels.

captain chapo
01-03-2005, 08:10 AM
i suppose you'd have to see the poltergeist too to understand it fully...that's one of those scary movies like the exorcist right? my roomate said it was good...but i get scared easy.

and if my memory of history is correct, jackson was more of a tall and demanding figure, or maybe that was just the image i had in my mind of him.

Ilikesoup
01-03-2005, 03:44 PM
Umm. . . I thought I understood history until right now. :rolleyes: (French/Indian War? . . dead indians. . . run toward the light? Carol Ann's house is on an indian burial ground?) I have complete faith in you, Peachstapler. Heather's torso looks too short as it is, though. Perhaps if her bottom extended down to the bottom edge of Jackson's belt it would help.

AIPh Pretzel
01-03-2005, 04:43 PM
French/Indian War? The First Seminole War was won by Jackson circa 1821, IIRC.

Ilikesoup
01-03-2005, 04:47 PM
Thanks, Pretzel. :)

AIPh Pretzel
01-03-2005, 06:20 PM
Thanks, Pretzel. :)
Not a problem my friend. I am still trying to figure out what all three of these figures have to do with each other. You had a pretty good hypothesis with the bodies buried under Carol Ann's house. Not sure if that's what he wants to convey. Where was Carol Ann's house located in the film? I thought it was near Los Angeles, actually.

Ilikesoup
01-03-2005, 06:54 PM
Where was Carol Ann's house located in the film? I thought it was near Los Angeles, actually.
Good call. I googled, and the house was apparently in Simi Valley, Southern CA.

peachstapler
01-04-2005, 12:29 AM
You guys are doing your research! I like the cut of your jib, sailor.

The fact is, my paintings have never really made much sense; I enjoy the "WTF" factor more than anything. This is the first one that is semi-rooted in facts, the rest of it loosely ties the piece together. I could tell you it symbolizes Man's eternal search for divine revelation but then I'd be lying to you.

supremo
01-06-2005, 08:18 PM
Cuts and jibs don't begin to describe this one! Beautifully bizarre, peachstapler! Can't wait to see what's next for this one!

peachstapler
01-16-2005, 05:19 AM
and if my memory of history is correct, jackson was more of a tall and demanding figure, or maybe that was just the image i had in my mind of him.

You're correct, I am adjusting his height to reflect this. Thanks for pointing that out. Update to come shortly.

peachstapler
01-16-2005, 07:31 AM
base colors
http://www.peachstapler.com/jackson01.jpg

peachstapler
01-18-2005, 05:09 AM
Gentleman and ladies of the Internet, I lost an hour's worth of work tonight and some really fantastic-looking hair that I painted for little Heather here. Instead, I bring you whatever I had at the time of my last save:

http://www.peachstapler.com/jackson02.jpg

Remember to save every 10 minutes. Always.

Ognus
01-18-2005, 04:00 PM
You are hilariously insane.

peachstapler
01-19-2005, 01:12 AM
This came out just the way I wanted it:

http://www.peachstapler.com/heather_detail.jpg

AIPh Pretzel
01-20-2005, 04:29 PM
Needs more love.

Voted 5.

Frost-Painting
01-21-2005, 03:31 AM
man, i gotta come to cgtalk a helluva lot more, i miss crazy pieces like this. another great idea. can't wait to see the finished version

peachstapler
01-22-2005, 07:35 PM
I'm working on the design for her nightgown. Another update coming later today. Anyone have any crits?

peachstapler
02-03-2005, 04:48 AM
http://www.peachstapler.com/heather02.jpg

supremo
02-04-2005, 01:59 AM
This looks great Peachstapler! You're capturing a nice eerie feel. I must say, it's going a totally different way than I expected style-wise.

One thing I notice (and maybe you're aware of it already) is something I have trouble with. The seams from one piece to the next, ie sleeve to hand, or hair to forehead seem a little too obvious. Almost as if each piece is a separate work that you put together afterward.

Not a big thing but I wanted to leave something constructive! It might not even matter at full rez.

ms@zx
02-04-2005, 06:01 AM
going pretty good so far:)supremo was right about the hair.could do some touch up on that though,i'd really love to see the final out come soon

Squibbit
02-04-2005, 06:33 AM
The fact is, my paintings have never really made much sense; I enjoy the "WTF" factor more than anything. This is the first one that is semi-rooted in facts, the rest of it loosely ties the piece together. I could tell you it symbolizes Man's eternal search for divine revelation but then I'd be lying to you.

mwaha! :thumbsup:

peachstapler
03-03-2005, 06:54 AM
http://img209.exs.cx:81/img209/4646/poltergeist010qo.jpg

Jackson turned out quite good using my new painting method. With a soft paintbrush I take three colors, for instance magenta, fusia, and peach, and I paint them side by side, then blend them with a 50% smudge. This is what I used for the cheek area. Now I'm going to have to go back and work on Heather's face using this method. She's looking a little too 2D and could use some dimension on the sides of her head.

Jackson's hair came out better than I thought, but I still am not satisfied with it. Seems a little dark, or maybe it's not reacting with the light source as much as it should. Anyway, I'll work on that. In the meantime, feel free to shoot me some crits.

peachstapler
03-04-2005, 05:05 AM
The sum of tonight's efforts. I'm working on Jackson's hands at the moment; the fingers are just getting started.

http://www.peachstapler.com/poltergeist01.jpg

peachstapler
03-06-2005, 05:19 AM
Hands are done, feetses are done, and I worked on Heater's dress and her face because the light was hitting it odd and made it look like she was just ate meatloaf without utensils.

http://www.peachstapler.com/poltergeist02.jpg

KevinKraeer
03-19-2005, 06:48 AM
This is ingenious. Seriously, better even than Steve Perry as RoboCop.

Keep ragin' (5 stars friend).

Ryan-B
03-20-2005, 05:14 PM
It would be cool if there was a card on every dead guy, as if she was handing them out. She's saved the death card for herself, maybe.

Put some splatter on their clothes and feet.

Add some depth to the background.

The idea gets 5 stars.

peachstapler
03-24-2005, 05:07 AM
Thank you Kevin and Ryan, I appreciate your comments and suggestions. Definitely looking to finish this up soon and I've got a good feeling about it.

http://www.peachstapler.com/poltergeist03.jpg

Baki
03-24-2005, 06:31 AM
you are amazing at getting the characters looking real and 3d look
but the problem was in the line art
jackson's legs are too short, the belt should be higher
the girls right arm gostly disaperes into jackson's shoulder
the girls torso is maby too long?
and the left side of jackson's face should not have all that hair sticking out
its distracting and looks od
the girls feet look flat actuly just way to skinny
the skin color or style of jackson does not match with the girl
hope that helped
god i love your coloring skills

Lordiego01
03-24-2005, 01:52 PM
Very nice work on the faces.

This whole pic looks very... creepy. Almost haunting.

I think you need to do a little more with the enviroment.

As always, good stuff.

AIPh Pretzel
03-24-2005, 04:11 PM
Killer job. A few things I'd like to see you work on: his jacket is just kind of a black hole, and his pants show a lot of detail. Don't worry about the proportions and the way it's put together...'cause that's what gives it its charm and style. I think if it had a consistant light source, it would tie the elements together into one. I'd add some modeling to the jacket. Not much. Just some highlights. And flatten out his pants a little. Some shadow on her left side of her chest, and shoulder would help put her in his arms. I mean almost down to black where she starts going behind him. His boots need a high contrast between the black and the shiny highlights. Her forward knee, needs more light, knee towards Jackson, more in shadow... the back of his bottom hand, from the knuckles back needs darker shadow... hope it doesn't sound like I'm busting on it 'cause I really like it.

The sky is awesome, their faces are amazing. And her dress is great. The right side of his hair still needs a little tweek, maybe a trim between his hair and the sky to help shape it a little... cut it down altogether. Maybe shape it differently. The edge between his face and his hair needs a little separation/definition.

So, how's that for a crit? You've already got the subject matter down, and that's what makes it stand out as a work.

peachstapler
03-28-2005, 12:29 PM
The Seminoles are getting painted last. I didn't know they wore colorful garb into battle. Maybe I'll just dull them down a little. Almost finished...

http://www.peachstapler.com/poltergeist04.jpg

BMunchausen
03-28-2005, 07:12 PM
The awkwardness of Jackson's body just really bugs me and that's all I think about when I look at this. I like the idea, but I'm thinking more "wtf" in terms of his anatomical problems, instead of focusing on the "wtf" of the content. His head's too big and his knees are too low. He has bordering on midget proportions and his clumsy boots and claw-like hand, compared to the fine rendering of his face are really distracting.

The indians too - if those are meant in the end to be dead indians, much needs to be done to spell out what they are or that content is lost. I have the feeling though, that you know that.

There also seems to be almost no light at all on his jacket. I know the light's pretty flat since it's overcast, but it could use a little bit more differentiation to give it more volume.

I also think perhaps the grass is too busy and is distracting from the figures. Maybe it's too green, since everything else is washed out.

SebastianPatric
03-28-2005, 08:37 PM
It seems like you used reference for the faces, but you painted the bodies from imagination (maybe not the guy's upper body). Your proportions on both the girl and the man need work. He seems too stout and he is not bending back to counterbalance the weight of the child. You have to learn to plan out your entire poses before putting on detail. That's the best way to get your proportions right. And, next time, it would be a good idea to use some anatomy refference. I also agree about the lighting comment in the post before mine. And this still needs a lot of love.

Your idea is pretty bizarre and I like it.

peachstapler
03-29-2005, 01:33 AM
It seems like you used reference for the faces, but you painted the bodies from imagination...

Very accurate. I wasn't sure if it bothered people or not; now I know that it's distracting even. And a special thank you BMunchausen, I sincerely appreciate your visits to my threads and the valuable critiques you bring with you. I certainly hope this isn't the last time you stop by.

The concerns with figure proportions will be addressed. Lessons are learned each time a man paints, this is no exception. Attention to preliminary layout in the line drawing will be catered to in future pieces.

The business/color of the grass and other environmental elements will also not go unremedied. The Indians are of course black blobs at the moment, and their replacements will be painted with care, not to draw too much attention but not withholding their role in the painting.

Thank you all for your valued crits. You all help me a great deal.

Blue-demon
05-29-2005, 01:58 PM
The dude's face seems sunk into the coat and with saying this it looks out of place. The girls body is to flat and makes her face seem flat but it isnt, it looks 3D so all i can say is the bodys seem to let the faces down.

Tbh it looks like you went and cropped some ones face and pasted it on some bodys, it looks hilarious but a little annoying.

A tip for you , get some one to take a picture of you holding a girl and draw the stance(no detail) use this as the skeleton and then just draw the clothes on top.

Hope this helps.

peachstapler
09-12-2005, 01:49 AM
I don't know any 10-year old girls so for now I'll have to use my instinct. Maybe I'll refine this in the future, so critiques are certainly welcome.

http://img283.imageshack.us/img283/8292/jacksonbackup1tt.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

CGTalk Moderation
09-12-2005, 01:49 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.