PDA

View Full Version : Need Help with assignment!!

Nucleo
01-03-2005, 03:51 AM
Hello everyone.

Well iam third year student at a film studies course so i thought i do my third year written project on, What impact CG and Animation have on Sci-Fi films and the way filmmakers make ci-fi movies these days with the use of CG and Animation . So i really need your help if anyone has any intresting books on that subject that i can read and draw my own conclusions. (Any websites about the subject would be good too). Iam trying to find out if CG or Animation have affected filmmaking processes like directing, cinematography, editing and if it is just the visual content that has been improved or if there is a change in the other aspects of filmaking. I also hopefully would have a philosophical debate in the essay if at the end cg and animation will replace traditional filmmaking( If it looks real it must be real, right?) i Believe that eventually maybe in 200 (Who knows) years filmmakers will be able to make movies from just one computer or perhaps the whole filmmaking art will completly change and the audience will be able to live his own story in the film. Any books that talk about this kind of philosophical debate (or similar) would be nice too.

I was reading the other day (I dont remember where) that CG have changed narration and narrative in contemporary cinema but iam not sure really sure how this can happen.

Like i said before i only want to find if anyone knows any books about the subject of the project so i can make my on conclusions.

Thanks

Happy new year.

P.S. I wasnt sure where to post this so Iam sorry if it is in the wrong Forum.

tibes
01-03-2005, 06:54 AM
Future Noir : The Making of Bladerunner by Paul M. Sammon is an in depth look at the making of a sci-fi film with 70s/80's pre-CG technology. It's an interesting read too.

Nucleo
01-04-2005, 04:32 PM
Thanks Tibes.

Anyone else that (at least) has an opinion on the subject. Plz i need more HELP!!! :p

P.S. I saw your video Tibes (Its very good for a 3 months project).

SamChen
01-05-2005, 07:36 AM
You should look at a couple of books about the company that really helped change filmmaking as we know it today... and that's ILM. There are 2 coffee table books on them.. one that goes way back to Star Wars... and a more recent one that has Jurassic Park. ILM is xtra relevant cuz they've worked on lots of SciFi flicks since SW and pioneered a lot of the wire removal, blue/green screen, and digital creature techniques widely used today. WETA and LOTR would not have happened w/o ILM's pioneering work. Also, The Incredibles, Nemo, Monsters, Inc, etc.. from Pixar would not have happened w/o ILM.. where Pixar really spawned out of.

Industrial Light & Magic: Into the Digital Realm
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0345381521/qid=1104910396/sr=8-1/ref=pd_csp_1/102-9449392-6047351?v=glance&s=books&n=507846

Industrial Light & Magic: The Art of Special Effects
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0345322630/qid=1104910396/sr=8-2/ref=pd_csp_2/102-9449392-6047351?v=glance&s=books&n=507846

Hope this helped. g'luck! :thumbsup:

CGTalk Moderation
01-20-2006, 08:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.