PDA

View Full Version : Animating a Robot

steffenoid
01-02-2005, 11:36 PM
Hi all!

I've got a pretty newbtacular problem, but I have, as of yet, failed to find a solution in either these forums or anywhere else. My problem is:

I'm trying to animate a robot, and each limb or part of a limb is a separate piece of geometry. I was hoping to be able to animate it without joints, but I also want an IK -esque setup on my legs. Does anyone know of any method using constraints whereby I can duplicate this effect, or should I just suck it up and use joints?

Robot:

sundialsvc4
01-03-2005, 02:01 AM
Inhale. :thumbsup:

seven6ty
01-03-2005, 03:11 AM
Joints. It should be easy, just rigid bind each piece of geometry.

You could create an FK rig easily, just using groups. But as far as I know, I don't think IK handles will stick to anything besides joints and I can't think of a comparable method to do this, without having to go in and come up with your own method.

But all in all, joints are your friend, don't be afraid. ;)

steffenoid
01-03-2005, 12:46 PM
well, OK. I actually have nothing nothing against joints, it was as much an intellectual challenge as anything, but I thought maybe there was some secret power that i didn't know about, but thanks anyway!

CGTalk Moderation
01-20-2006, 07:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.