PDA

View Full Version : Should we post Scupy posts

southern
01-02-2005, 08:01 PM
Just a quick question really and I'm sorry if it's been asked before. I keep seeing posts like this one (http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?p=1855770&posted=1#post1855770) where the artist is berated for posting a maquette photo in a digital forum.

I use ZBrush, Lightwave, Silo, Photoshop, Painter, Sculpey, Chavant, Premo+Fimo, Pens, Pencils, acrylics, inks etc, etc... and I regularly post a variety of the resulting images, where ever possible trying to help or encourage other artists in some little way. I often sculpt a model then use it as a concept or its digital counter part.

Should these creations be posted?. Should all non-3D sculptors be encouraged NOT to post here and move on to a dedicted non-digital forum? Should artist only post a maquette if it can be shown to have been used at a later stage in a digital creation? What is CGtalks/Mods stance in this? I have a firm opinion on this one but I'd like to hear others comments, especially Sculpey artists.

kwshipman
01-02-2005, 08:44 PM
Last I heard maquettes were encouraged on these forums. A couple even made front page. One of the galleries used to include Maquettes in the description, but that doesn't seem to be the case anymore.

I think they should be on the forums because they are still a big part of production. Most major film studios still use them regularly. Working on them is a great way to learn 3d, just like learning traditional 2d animation is a great way to learn 3d animation.

Hazdaz
01-02-2005, 09:43 PM
I don't see why they shouldn't be allowed... if its a useful tool, then use it.... that is as long as its not in a Application specific forum (like posting that in the MAX of MAYA foums might be a bad idea).

I am confused by the term "sculpy"? What is that? The pic looks like a clay. Is that a type of clay or am I totaly missing the boat here.

GOTgraphic
01-02-2005, 09:54 PM
Yes, Sculpy is this polymer (I think its a polymer stuff) clay stuff that comes in many colors.

If not sculptured works then we could ban drawings, like preliminary drawings ;)

southern
01-02-2005, 10:21 PM
Hazdaz: It is a popular polymer clay and only available in a flesh colour (although a lot of people mix it with other polymer clays)

Polymer Clay is not true clay found in the earth. It was first developed in 1930, in Germany. It is made from PVC, polyvinyl chloride...the same family of plastics that make up the plumbing in your home. It is mixed with a plasticizer and color pigment is added.
Polymer Clays are available in many colors, including neon-dayglow, granite textures and translucent.
After preparing and shaping, the "clay" is baked in a conventional oven at low temperature for a period determined by the shape and thickness of the design. There is no shrinkage, and colors remain true through baking. The finished product can be sanded, drilled, polished, painted.

DAZZAN
01-02-2005, 10:22 PM
Hi Glen, have they got a problem of maquette over all or just where they posted it?

A bit confused after reading it.

DAZZAN
01-02-2005, 10:22 PM
Hi Glen, have they got a problem of maquette over all or just where they posted it?

A bit confused after reading it.

DAZZAN
01-02-2005, 10:37 PM
Before Digital .This type of moddleing was the only way a director,would see how any creature design would look.Ok you could draw it,but ending up with a prototype in your hands to look at it.George Lucas lived maquettes & Sculpy,and ilm should be called the super sculpey shop as to the amount of clay they got through on the 3 star wars movies, up to digital preview,and still do now.

It would be usefull to have a modeling forum.

I also would use a 3d sculp of a model as a reference or vica versa as the very talented Mr Southern has.

Looking down on an artform that preceded 3d is not a good thing and it should be embraced.

You give me a good 3d model used in film i can show a more stunning model made in clay made by Oscar winners.

Hazdaz
01-02-2005, 11:18 PM
That Sculpey sounds cool... I could think of many uses for it... where do you get it? Art supply store?

ArtisticVisions
01-03-2005, 04:57 PM
I used to work with Sculpty all the time, but stopped a couple years ago.
Maybe I should start using it again.... :shrug:

SpeccySteve
01-03-2005, 06:47 PM
I don't see what's so wrong with posting "real" sculptures, especially if they're research for or are going to end up as a cg work.

No-one seems to have problems with people posting 2d concept art, sketches etc using purely traditional media..?:shrug:

Edit: And yes, I realise the focus of the forum should be cg but if a spot of hands-on sculpting helps people out with cg ( and I bet in many cases it would..), surely that's a good thing? I doubt the place is going to morph into "Sculpy-Talk" or anything..

/2p worth

jmBoekestein
01-05-2005, 02:31 AM
As long as it doesn't divulge too much, it's fine with me.

I also think that if people who are good at it, but don't do cg but are making cool concepts for maybe visual effects and have otherwise no cg in their lives whatsoever. I'd still like them to post it in a seperate forum: CONCEPT ART AND DESIGN. If there isn't such a thing yet.
But after all, I do find it weird to find them in finished work 3D stills, I mean were here for the cg stuff we do. That's what the forum is really about.

DAZZAN
01-05-2005, 08:27 AM
If sculpting is good enough for the Gnomon guys,and there are 5 dvds covering the maquette sculpt,it should be good enough for CG talk.

But a pointer about which forum to post in to would help, or a addem to the 2d wip for 3d maquettes.

ambient-whisper
01-05-2005, 10:50 AM
bah. dont worry about sculptures. last i remember it was actually encouraged to post traditional art here.

dmonk
01-05-2005, 11:41 AM
I would love to see more sculptors here.

mike33
01-05-2005, 01:22 PM
I agree that a Concept Art and Design Forum should be created.
After all eveything Digital came from a traditional base.

I am also using sculpy to improve my understanding of the human figure and
I use traditional tools all the time to continue improving my art skills.

Though I have not done much in the digital realm I am hoping as I improve my traditonal art abilities the digital side of things will be that much easier to work with.

Mike

doppelganger
01-09-2005, 01:03 AM
so what is the word then? Is there an official mod stance on where sculpts should be posted?

Scott Spencer
www.scottspencer.com (http://www.scottspencer.com)

tevih
01-27-2005, 12:03 AM
Shoot... I read this whole thread hoping for an answer... Can we please have a mod jump in? I also remember there used to be a forum to post maquettes - in the 2D and concept art section, I believe.

Working on a maquette now, myself, and was hoping to get a little critique and direction. All the major studios (PIXAR, ILM, etc.) all use maquettes before creating digital model, and sometimes just scan the maquettes directly to create the model. I don't see why people should be upset over the post.

Mod? Help?

ambient-whisper
01-27-2005, 04:46 AM
go to first page and read my post again ;)

<<<<------undercover supah mod :)

doppelganger
03-29-2005, 05:43 AM
Hey ambient-whisper:

Apparently the word on this is now no.
No sculpts in the concept art section just digital...
Someone should add a traditional section since we all get excited to see traditional work, especially of the quality that come from posters like Southern and others.

Scott

mike33
03-29-2005, 11:59 AM
Hi Scott, who said no to traditional sculptures?

I guess I could just be a traditional art conceptualizing rebel and do this:

http://homepage.mac.com/spottedskimmer/PhotoAlbum3.html

oops, did I just accidently leave my link to a recently finished, non-digital, sculpy figure study posted here...

Why would I even try to study such an archiac form of art in the persuit to better understand the human figure so that someday when I have the skills I can do better digital work...

Well back to the day job...

Cheers...

Mike

Blazer
03-29-2005, 01:17 PM
I will play devils advocate, even though last time I expressed these opinions I got blasted and told I was jealous of "traditional art".

The reason you met with that response Glen, is probabaly because this is CGTalk, and is supposed to be dedicated to CG related creations and topics (thus the multiple "How is this cg related?" replays to news and general discussion topics). I'd argue that sketches and sculptures have an important place in the WIP section but the end goal in my opinion should be CG work.

I really don't appreciate the use of the term "Traditional art" when what people are against (on this forum at least) is traditional medium.

That said, like anything that grows in the world, it slowly loses focus and has to keep expanding. It could be CGTalk expands to cover all forms of art. This could either strengthen the community by bringing more art into the fold, or could dillute the essence of CGtalk. That's not my call :)

doppelganger
03-29-2005, 04:00 PM
mike33: Moderator of completed works 2D and concept art. So I suppose that it is the law of the land now unless a moderator makes a public post to the contrary. If it is concept art and it is completed why is it not welcome in the completed forum?

Blazer: Well put. I do think that CgTalk has backslid in recent years. Maquettes were welcome and now it seems that they are not. An oil painting was just on the frontpage and pencil sketches are regularly in the 2D section but sculpts are not welcome? Its a silly double standard that could be remedied with a new section or an addendum to an exsisting section descripton. Exposure to all forms of media are inspiring to me and thats why I come to CGtalk, to be inspired. I also suspect the lines between "traditional" and "nearly half a century old" medium will blur even more in the coming years. As digital medium advances the need to pay attention to the lessions of traditional materials has come into the forefront.
Just my thoughts on the subject.

ambient-whisper
03-29-2005, 05:34 PM
which one? theres 11 forum leaders for that section. if you want ill ask in our moderation forum if its ok by the admins/moderstors. i can tell you that i dont have any problems with it at all. infact id encourage it.

but ill ask if the admins changed their minds on the issue.

alex.h.
04-09-2005, 11:11 AM
so, if i do a figure in 3d and reproprototype it to a figure and paint it, then photograph it
and play whith it in photoshop, like this example,my second 3d model (no photoshop on this)
http://alexsculpt.0catch.com/div/GNOBLAR.JPG
is that ok ?. or if you do it the outher way, sculpt,scan, and continue in 3d.
would help to no this, but that way of workflow would cost a fortune to go whith.
see you later and :thumbsup:

CGTalk Moderation
04-09-2005, 11:11 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.