PDA

View Full Version : Need help on modeling a blade

Ints99
01-02-2005, 06:53 PM
I started moddeling an axe and i would like to give it a smoother look.
I added nurms subdivision and the blade gets too smooth.
How could i make it real sharp add weight on the edge of the blade or smthing like that?
I am useing 3ds max 7 and if requiered i can add some pictures.

LordMcGoat
01-02-2005, 08:40 PM
I've never used max so I couldn't tell you specifically how to do it, but if you want to smooth it, I'd suggest adding detail on either side of the line of edges that makes up the blade, as close as you possibly can, and then when you smooth it you will have a much sharper blade. A more efficient solution would just be to soften the normals, which will have the effect of making your axe look smoother but won't change the polygons so that it will stay sharp. Unfortunately I can't tell you how to do that in max, you'll just have to have a look around :)

Ints99
01-02-2005, 09:43 PM
Gonna try the options you offered tomorrow.
I tryed adding weight i got it look kina sharp put it still looked like it would be imossible to cut someones head off (only useful for cutting butter )
Gonna sleep a little and gonna post the WIP soon under the wip forum ( 5 minutes ).
And thank you for answering.

Psyk0
01-03-2005, 06:35 PM
Hi,

Select the edge along the blade and chamfer it like 0.3 (or adjust 'til you get the desired effect), when smoothed, this area will become sharp.

That's how i'd do it in max.

CGTalk Moderation
01-20-2006, 07:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.