PDA

View Full Version : Beginner in programing, help needed

TMNT3D
01-02-2005, 07:00 PM
Hello all,

For the past few years, I've been running a web server that has basically been just to help friends out when they need space, and to get my own website running. I know how to properly setup a .com site and to get it registered and running, but that's all I know. I don't know how to maintain my server properly, and I don't know any programing skills like how to create and maintain your own custom web counter, how to setup a variety of webpages, etc...

But it's something I've always wanted to learn. Would anyone be able to recommend a book on the basics that might be able to get me started, so I don't have to continuously ask for help on my own server when something goes wrong?

THanks

ddaniels
01-10-2005, 09:32 PM
This might help you out

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/1568811543/qid=1105392664/sr=1-3/ref=sr_1_3/104-1700347-9307920?v=glance&s=books

sorry put this in the wrong thread. Tooo many windows open

ace4016
01-11-2005, 08:50 AM
What type of web pages? If yuor looking for dynamic webpages and things where people log in and input information on the site and all that good stuff then you'd need to look up PHP, asp, java, and such. If you just want to make regular webpages where all the visitors do is click links then flash, regular good 'ol html, and css would be suffice. My opinion though. Don't know too much about managing a server since i dont own one (unless you want to count me running a server off my computer to test php/mysql scripts and code), but one thing i can tell you is if you use the web programming languages, you'll have to make them secure so that people wont go around hacking youy server with your own webpages.

CGTalk Moderation
01-20-2006, 08:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.