PDA

View Full Version : Volumetric Vegetation

PaZ
01-02-2005, 10:44 AM
Hi all,
i wonder if someone has seriously tried to do vegetation with HV.
Usually vegetation is a continuous, fractal-generated volume, so Voxels should be a pretty good way to generate it.
Unfortunately, HV3 tools does not allow to use a BW map to control fractalization of the volume, so it's pretty hard to get something good. Again, fractalization tools are pretty much straight and simple to allow for tree's remification. I got some weak results but only after too much work to make it a viable solution.
It'd be interesting if next HV generation took this in account, implementing new features like bitmap-controlled volumes, L-systems and hyerarchical fractalization of the volume to get ramificated volumes and not only "disturbed" ones.
By now, i'd like to know if someone got good results using HV.

Another thing i did is making leaves with sprites and a particle system emitting from trunk obj; fast, but not controllable since sprites are always flat, targeted to camera and does not self-shadow, which gives a pretty flat result (hope NT introduces these too).

Paolo Zambrini

F3D
01-02-2005, 12:17 PM
about the leaves..
if you are talking about them blowing in the wind then Ive never heard of using sprites for that.. :) however if you model a plane with the leave texture and alpha on it, and import that one object into the scene, add a emmiter..then go into the FxLinker and see what you can do there :) then youll have 2planes flying around and not facing the cammera and leaving shadows :)

SirReality
01-02-2005, 04:08 PM
There is some work on L-systems currently by community members. See the link in my signature. I hope to include cloning an object (like a leaf) along the path defined by the l-system, but have not worked on that aspect yet.

ThePumpkinKing
01-02-2005, 07:47 PM
You mean like this (http://www.renderosity.com/photos/GAL_200110/GalleryImage100407.jpg)? This was from an artist on renderosity, and I always wondered how he did this.

PaZ
01-02-2005, 11:16 PM
flow: no, i'm not meaning particles animations... curiously enough, i just finished a logo anim involving leaves ;)
Anyway, linking an obj to PFX means, unfortunately, cloing the leave obj thousand times. LW does not handle instancing on the fly (which thing is achievable using HD-instance), so the result woul be worse than a common 3D tree with its poligonal leaves. _I'm trying to fond a way to generate vegetation with implicit geometry like Voxels.

SirReality: yes i saw it, but again not what i mean.. they're talking about Lsystems to generate geometry into moledel, while i'd like to deal with implicit geometry only.

Pumpkin: i cannot see the image, can you post it here ? Thak you ;)

In spare time i'll try to crank up an example to be clearer..
bye
Paolo

Fasty
01-03-2005, 08:39 PM
Here's an early test I did ages ago using hypervoxels for a few different types of trees. I just sprayed some points and cloned them around the place.

An annoying feature of hv's is that they tend to get lighter in the distance. Using distance gradients and tweaking the surface values you can minimise this but not completely.

PaZ
01-03-2005, 10:45 PM
Here's an early test I did ages ago using hypervoxels for a few different types of trees. I just sprayed some points and cloned them around the place.

An annoying feature of hv's is that they tend to get lighter in the distance. Using distance gradients and tweaking the surface values you can minimise this but not completely.
Very interesting. It looks good, but it look also unadapt for close ups.. i'd like to find a volumetric noise which can look as a cluster of leaves, but it seems we can get only "noisy blobs" by now.

Bye
Paolo Zambrini

philstopford
01-04-2005, 12:00 PM
Pumpkin: i cannot see the image, can you post it here ? Thak you ;)

In spare time i'll try to crank up an example to be clearer..
bye
Paolo
I got the same problem so, using the same window, I just entered the site from the front page (www.renderosity.com) and once that loaded, hit the back button. Image then loaded in fine. Firefox 1.0.

CGTalk Moderation
01-20-2006, 07:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.