PDA

View Full Version : PA Challenge- character- Radioactive Ronin

insanepoly
02-08-2002, 04:17 PM
http://www.starhub.net.sg/~hand/images/wip002.jpg

Radioactive Ronin- samurai bounty hunter for hire, roaming the apocalytic wasteland.

Nazgul
02-08-2002, 07:21 PM
Nice modeling! Looks like a character in Battle Angel Elita...could it be?;) Can't wait to see the rest of the body!

paulc
02-08-2002, 07:50 PM
Damn, except for the respirator, my designs were almost excactly the same, (I suspect yours is looking better though) oh well, back to the drawing board.
Nice work

insanepoly
02-08-2002, 08:46 PM
Originally posted by paulc
Damn, except for the respirator, my designs were almost excactly the same, (I suspect yours is looking better though) oh well, back to the drawing board.
Nice work

We've all watched and have been influenced by so much of the same movies, comics and anime that I guess it gets kinda hard to be truly original anynmore.

AJ
02-11-2002, 05:29 PM
Absolutely excellent... can't wait to see more!

MadS
02-11-2002, 06:36 PM
Umm, Ronin Samurai? That was my idea :P Anyway, looks cool so far. Nothing to crit here.

big b
02-11-2002, 08:30 PM
SWWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEET.

MadS
02-11-2002, 08:32 PM
I just had a cool idea. When we are done making our Samurai's, we should make an animation of them facing off. That might be fun... Ok, I'll shutup now. :D

insanepoly
02-12-2002, 06:43 AM
Originally posted by MadS
I just had a cool idea. When we are done making our Samurai's, we should make an animation of them facing off. That might be fun... Ok, I'll shutup now. :D

I'd think it'll be cool to have them face off in a duel at sunset by the temple :D

AnimaLMotheR
02-12-2002, 09:03 AM
If u bother u could make them say some things but lipsync it so it looks like the whole thing has been badly dubbed. :D:D

BTW, it looks great man, cant wait to see the rest of him.

insanepoly
02-12-2002, 05:56 PM
Originally posted by AnimaLMotheR
If u bother u could make them say some things but lipsync it so it looks like the whole thing has been badly dubbed. :D:D

BTW, it looks great man, cant wait to see the rest of him.

Thanks, but what makes you think its a "him":D . Gotcha!!
http://www.starhub.net.sg/~hand/images/wip003.jpg

AnimaLMotheR
02-13-2002, 01:49 AM
Originally posted by the_hand

Thanks, but what makes you think its a "him":D . Gotcha!!

Hmm.. That is one weird looking bullet proof vest man. http://www.cdv-download.de/vb/images/smilies/suspicious.gif

insanepoly
02-13-2002, 06:39 AM
Still working on it, somehow the shoulder pads comes out looking better on paper than it did in 3D. As for the vest, let's just say it comes with extra padding...

insanepoly
02-13-2002, 10:45 PM
http://www.starhub.net.sg/~hand/images/wip005.jpg

So far so good after working on her the entire day. The last major modeling task would be the boots and weapons. Probably not going with the should pad thingies- would be a pain to rig anyway.

Titan
02-13-2002, 11:00 PM
very impressive work, what kind of weapons are you gonna give her?

TravAss
02-13-2002, 11:32 PM
cool, but she needs a nice firm...lucious ass...but it looks great realy

SheepFactory
02-14-2002, 04:57 AM
she doesnt need weapons from the looks of it :D

great model

A|i

insanepoly
02-14-2002, 06:33 AM
Thanks all. I have three choices for weapons- a katana, a japanese long spear or a rifle/ katana combo type.

As for the butt- I kinda like the tight, pert look:D I guess its a personal choice.

Koma
02-14-2002, 07:56 PM
really good model,on the first image i think that its a men but iam happy to see a women ,your works are beautifull ...

MadS
02-14-2002, 09:40 PM
I like well formed butts, personally. I can always cut a little slack in the breast area if the butt is slammin' (bling bling) ;) The spear idea sounds cool. I hadn't thought of that. I was gonna go with a Katana/Compound bow combination(maybe even a firearm for good measure). Might even make it a Daikatana instead.

Go with a spear/katana combo. I think every samurai should atleast have a Katana. And then throw in some technological device to kind of balance out the old with the new? I was gonna have an advanced pair of binoculars hanging at his hip(instead of a Saki jug as the traditional Ronin would wear). Anyway, she looks awesome so far. I think our samurais would make a good couple :D

insanepoly
02-15-2002, 05:44 AM
Thanks all.

I am kinda leaning towards a japanese long spear myself with a couple of samurai swords strapped to the back.

Tad
02-15-2002, 11:03 AM
Truly beautiful modeling! not too slutty, creative, fairly original given the contests fairly cliche constraints, just good stuff all around, you've definetely got my vote!

I like your avatar also, is that you??

Anyways, keep at it,
and i'd say, go with something less "samurai/ninjaish" for the
weapon, just because the futuristic setting just doesnt fit
so much with a FULL ON samurai type character.

BTW can we get a wireframe shot before smoothing?
Thats how you help everyone else learn, i've been doin
the NURBS patches thang for so long, I wana start adding
some polysmooth/subdiv into stuff I plan on doing.
Thnx

insanepoly
02-15-2002, 05:20 PM
Yep, the little bugger on the left is none other than yours truly except that hair has since grown a little.

I am still partial to the long spear, even the design is all sketched out but of course everything is still subject to last minute changes, I'll see how it turns out in 3D.

And for your viewing pleasure-
http://www.starhub.net.sg/~hand/images/wip007.jpg

pabbloz
02-15-2002, 05:59 PM
very hight level! impressive!!

hobbes
02-15-2002, 08:11 PM
What can i say humm..... very good.:D
exellent work!

insanepoly
02-16-2002, 12:34 PM
The modelling pahse should be completed soon. Here's two more final view- just a quick show of hands, how many people think the flags is a stupid idea?

http://www.starhub.net.sg/~hand/images/wip013.jpg http://www.starhub.net.sg/~hand/images/wip014.jpg

Joel Hooks
02-16-2002, 01:15 PM
I dislike the flags as they distract from the bodacious ta-tas ^^

they would probably be interesting in motion, but still distracting, IMO.

Cgkoko
02-16-2002, 03:22 PM
Not stupid idea at all.I would just use them to a more 'honorable' hero though.Your ronin i quess is more shadowy than a imperial samurai or something...eh:o ...enyway.Well,nice !I like her.

Tad
02-16-2002, 03:48 PM
I also dislike the flags,
I think they shouldnt be so round, they look very "meshsmoothy".
Maybe make them out of a flat plane so they are more like paper thin?

Also I think the innerthight/knee area is a bit off proportions-wise
it looks like maybe the knees are too low?
or the lowere legs are too short?

STILL cool stuff though!

insanepoly
02-16-2002, 05:40 PM
Originally posted by Tad
... I think the innerthight/knee area is a bit off proportions-wise it looks like maybe the knees are too low?
or the lowere legs are too short?

STILL cool stuff though!

Nice call, I was wondering how many people would be able to notice that the length of the legs are actually off proportion- I deliberately made them longer than they should be. Call it artistic license/... lame excuse, but I do love ladies with long legs:D

ether
02-16-2002, 06:10 PM
Very nice indeed:) I like her a lot. Only thing I can see wrong, might be that her belly button is a bit low.

oozeballz
02-16-2002, 06:15 PM
really nice model..

one thing thoug... the feet arent wide enough.. i think the feet should be alittle wider .. the boots are a bit too wide at the ankles and that makes her feet look too thin.

really nice work.. lokking forward to some color

dominicqwek
02-17-2002, 03:01 AM
hey the hand... your homeland quite near the equator right?Been to your website before and seen your work on comggraph.:D

Cool model u have there. Nice thongs..hee. Could be a tad larger her butt, but then its the design u want that counts. Sad u have to cover her face, want to see the face that belongs to such a bod!

Ha! I've started something too, and yes, its female model, its still in the works.. Do comment it and tell me where i stand.:)

Comment dom's female character! (http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2405)

Haldir
02-17-2002, 03:06 AM
As for her weapon, I think the long spear would suit her well...

The flags...I like. But, for some reason they don't seem to fit w/ her. Maybe the contrast of being so scarcely clad but still having the dignity to carry a banner throws me of a bit.

Aside from that, seriously fine work...Especially her lips and nose. Geez man, that one sorta closeup pic of her head took my breath away. You really captured something in those lips.

Keep it up...

Feel free to rip my character apart:

http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2435

insanepoly
02-17-2002, 06:10 AM
ether- You're right about the belly button being too low, it should be an inch or two higher up the adominals. Thanks

oozeballz- I felt that the feet was a little off myself, just couldn't pin it down, I guess they should be a little wider.

dom- yes, this is where I live, blue skies, sunshine and tons of humidity. After going through a Canadian winter, I will never complain about it being too hot again.

The stuff on Comgraph was done a couple of years ago, kinda embarrassing now when I think about it. Yikes...

Haldir- I wasn't too sure about the flags, but going by the response, I guess they are a stupid idea.

Thanks all, the input has been invaluable.

YemYam
02-17-2002, 10:49 AM
I wouldn't trash the flags idea entirely, just maybe rework them. I think it would help to have something back there to give it a little variation and variety from the other stuff out there (I don't think anything is going to detract from the mamilian protruberences!). I think the biggest complaint was the thickness and of course a big factor on whether it works or not will be the mapping and lighting.

I definitely agree on the boots feedback though, they should be a bit bigger even though her feet are probably small and petite.

Regardless of what changes you make it is still an extremely good model and I can't wait to see it finished!

Transcendent
02-17-2002, 12:39 PM
Awesome modelling, clever design :) The only thing I find mildly disagreeable about her's the hat - I get the nagging feeling it isn't a perfect fit for a head - could a tilt help, perhaps ?

I'm not sure about the flags too, too - I'm not totally for or against them - but I'm certain they look too stiff, but I think with a few mechanical joints they might look like wings ... the type of wings people strapped on their backs before the Wright brothers ... just rambling again. (btw, I'm Singaporean too)

dzogchen
02-18-2002, 07:39 AM
It's getting better with every update. I feel the collar bones are too small ( or narrow?) especially towards the centre. Collar bones are big bones which can be prominent but usually blend downwards towards the chest. Love to see her textured.

AnimaLMotheR
02-19-2002, 01:55 AM
The chick looks good. But i feel like she has too many details on her head and too little on the rest of her body... :confused:

BTW, this is abit off-topic but i have to say this. the_hand the guy in your avatar rules. :D

Cgkoko
02-19-2002, 02:03 AM
I thought it was you:confused:

DimitrisLiatsos
02-19-2002, 02:30 AM
My mouth opened so widely and then dropped to the table!
Absolutely great model...you got my vote for sure.

I disagree to dump the flags...leave theme on but try just a little to make them look thinner(sorry for my english).

I agree to the point of opening her legs a little to give her a more
heroic stand. The mask is ingredible and i think that in the spirit that you make her....you have to make a lot of things about props on her body...but she is absolutely beautiful..GREAT STUFF

insanepoly
02-19-2002, 06:02 AM
DimitrisLiatsos- don't worry, I definitely have her in a more heroic pose when I am done with all the modeling, but at this point, I have no intention of putting the flags back. Maybe when everything is textured and posed.

AnimaLMotheR- I'll have to agree with you that compared to the rest of the model, the headgear is quite detailed. However I do intend add some pouches, ammo bags and other accessories to the belt and probably a side holster or a dagger of sorts. I think this should also balance things out a bit, unfortunately I haven't been able to get any thing done for the last two days.

Of course you should know that I made my avatar way better looking than the original item:D

dzogchen- surprisingly the collarbone is pretty hard to get right. You've no idea many times I've adjusted the collarbones. Too much and the model appears wasted, too little makes her look fat.

Transcendent- It actually gives the model a mysterious hardassed look when the hat is tilted way down to cover the eyes. Unfortunately, I spent some much time and effort to modeled the googles that I just couldn't bring myself to cover them up. Anyway not to worry, when all is said and done, there should be a couple of diffrent poses to satisfy everyone.

AnimaLMotheR
02-19-2002, 10:05 AM
Originally posted by the_hand
AnimaLMotheR- I'll have to agree with you that compared to the rest of the model, the headgear is quite detailed. However I do intend add some pouches, ammo bags and other accessories to the belt and probably a side holster or a dagger of sorts. I think this should also balance things out a bit, unfortunately I haven't been able to get any thing done for the last two days.

Yes pouches, ammo bags and such things will even the things out. Man i cant wait to see the next image. :)

insanepoly
02-19-2002, 04:12 PM
Finally managed to get something done today after more than two days of rest. Somehow just couldn't resist texturing the eyes, I feel that with the eyes, she has more of an identity and a personality rather than just a faceless warrior with the googles and the hat.

http://www.starhub.net.sg/~hand/images/wip015.jpg

MadS
02-19-2002, 08:51 PM
That's looking great. The details are really beginning to flesh out. I can definitely see her character with those intensely cool eyes. The eyes of a hardened warrior. :) I normally don't go out of my way to crit something unless I really feel it has potential, so please don't be offended by my altered image below:

I think that her neck and collar bone area needs work. Some softening up on the bottom of the collar bones, as the collar bones flare outward.

And her neck tendons look like they go up into her jawbone, when they should reach behind the ears.

Now you have me wondering what a tattoo on her back would look like. Something eloquent, yet powerful, but not typical. An animal or pattern of some sort? Maybe when she was a child, her clan branded her or something?

Peace out.

Vic3k
02-19-2002, 08:59 PM
that's very nice, keep it up. damn this hot chicks you guys do make me horny :) it's like uhhhhhhhhhh plz come out of the screen....

nibo
02-20-2002, 06:11 PM
I like her undies!! ;)
Good choice my friend:D

insanepoly
02-21-2002, 09:23 PM
MadS- thanks, you've got a good eye, I've managed to tone down the collar bone abit and also reduce the definition of the neck tendons. I think the neck tendons should be a little more relaxed if a person is at rest or just standing around.

Anyway its time to put a stop to the modeling and let the texture torture begin...

http://www.starhub.net.sg/~hand/images/wip016.jpg

YemYam
02-21-2002, 09:33 PM
Extremely good start. I like how you have two different colored eyes ... I knew a girl that had eyes like that once and she was hot (as is yours).

Look forward to more!

nibo
02-21-2002, 09:37 PM
Her skin material is looking good!
I like the round shape object-thingy in her mask, (infront of her mouth...)
Very subtile... hehehe
Dirty bastard! ;)

insanepoly
02-21-2002, 09:42 PM
You'll have to get your brain out of the gutter- its a respirator for goodness sake!!! Any resemblance to kinky stuff real or imagined is purely unintentional:D

parallax
02-21-2002, 11:21 PM
I'm really not into bondage, but thats quite sexy ;)

insanepoly
02-22-2002, 03:45 AM
Bondage!? What bondage?

AnimaLMotheR
02-22-2002, 03:55 AM
Man u guys need girlfriends if u feel "naughty" after looking at the image. ;)

The skin texture looks very good. But it seems bright to me. I dont know if that is cos of the lighting or because the texture was made that way. :confused: Maybe the brightness on my monitor is set to a very high value. :D

I like the eyes tho. The different colors was a nice touch. :)

rickycox
02-22-2002, 09:02 PM
bikini wear for the post apoc period, cool :-)

insanepoly
02-24-2002, 10:08 PM
The latest update after a hard bout with Photoshop and UVW mapping.

YemYam
02-24-2002, 11:31 PM
Looking VERY good. The only thing I could possibly crit on (and it's nit picky) is maybe increase/add the bump slightly on the bra to give it a little more texture and maybe a little more variance in texturing on the goggles. Besides those little suggestions it's supa clean. Like the forehead tat and the earings, they add a nice touch.

OZ
02-24-2002, 11:56 PM
oooh! She's so sweet!! and lovely.....and.....hey...hold down the sword!!no! no! im kidding!!!! HAAAAAAAAA!..........AW! dead!

the_hand ........How you can do that! teach me!! Awesome work!

stipen
02-25-2002, 01:09 AM
Really nice!!I mean she's really a good looking girl !!Great work!!
just one crit about the ear modelling...
Just to critic something..but again this is an amazing realistic modeling.

Cédric
02-25-2002, 01:26 AM
wow

Thoth
02-25-2002, 04:28 AM
mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm uh. great work :p well, actually on second thought ....fantastic work

insanepoly
02-25-2002, 01:51 PM
Thanks all, all these texturing is a real pain in the butt, just what till I start rigging...

YemYam- there is bump mapping applied to all the materials, its just that due to the present lighting scheme, they are not very obvious. Lighting will probably be the last step in the process. Right now everything is pretty much too evenly lit to see any bump effect.

-OZ- what can I say except surf the net, there tons of good tutorials out there. Most of what I know I got from either the net or magazines, at least it gives you a good reason to goof off.

stipen- ears, another pain in the butt, all the folds and ridges can really drive you crazy.

:eek: :eek: :eek:

insanepoly
02-25-2002, 09:53 PM
Another day, another update- here's what she look like without the goggles and gasmask.

Cédric
02-25-2002, 09:57 PM
I prefer with the mask :D

Munson
02-25-2002, 10:15 PM
it just looks great! with the mask, without the mask! love it.

:)

Totitch
02-25-2002, 10:18 PM
Very great stuff!

She is really beautifull but her eyes seems to be very high in the visage...
First,I was not sure because of the mask,but now I think it will be better if you move them a little down...(It's just my opinion...)

I tried it... (http://mapage.noos.fr/totitch/Wip018.jpg)

Very clean stuff anyway!

Bravo! :D

OZ
02-25-2002, 10:29 PM
hmmmmmmm.....without mask and hat.......she seem to need some kind of short hair or something like madmax (the famous postatomikk movie ).....she look fabulous however. the_hand you are REALLY GREAT!!!!
pS:tnx 4 ur hints!

OZ
02-25-2002, 10:37 PM
hmmmm......yes....i think Totitch is right about the eyes.....but may be a matter of style.

Titan
02-25-2002, 10:45 PM
It could just be the angle of the camera and the head, but the eyes do look like they are exactly 1 "eye-height" too far up.

for them to work where they are would mean that the ears would need to be lower and that the chin was tilted up, but I dont think that is the case.

Great work overall man, nice textures.....!

AnimaLMotheR
02-25-2002, 11:36 PM
Smashing work man. :)

KOryH
02-26-2002, 01:19 AM
Robin: Holy Post Apocalyptic Cleavage Batman!
Batman: Yes, my little prepubescent gocking chum, women develop much better in this irradiated environment!

Wow. That is looking good. I thought the modeling was great, but you really nailed the textures. Glorious stuff man.

Keep it UP!

psumo
02-26-2002, 02:38 AM
the lips and nose are beautiful
something bothering me about the eyes
it might be the position of the eye brows
also maybe the eyes are too close together

MadS
02-26-2002, 03:00 AM
I played with your render in photoshop. I think that if you lower the eyes, it would be enough. However, I think that you modelled this girl after some real life person, right? that's why you keep saying "personal preference". That's cool, and I respect that. I just thought I'd take a stab at it: In my alteration, I have lowered the eyes and the top of the skull from the top part of the nose bridge. And I even brought the chin up a bit. But like I said, all you really need to do is lower the eyes some to make it work. ;)

insanepoly
02-26-2002, 04:53 AM
Thanks all, the comments are all very useful and enlightening. Just a little confesssion- I modeled her without any reference or guide whatsoever, just straight eyeballing, so the proportions of the face is a little off.

Thanks Mads, I think she looked better with the eyes lowered, I'll defintiely have to shift them down a little. Damn, thought I was done with the modeling thing:)

psumo- I think you and I were feeling the same thing, just that we couldn't exactly tell what it is, and after the alteration by Mads in Photoshop, I think its the position of the eyes on the face.

-OZ-, hair will be the last thing I am gonna worry about, hopefully, when I get all the other stuff done, I can give her some hair, till then, we'll all have to make do with that bald sleek look. Probably some radiation thing...

Once again thanks everyone, I think the great thing about this challenge is that not only are entries all very good, but the critiques and comments are also very helpful, it has certainly raised my skills a notch or two.

Totitch
02-26-2002, 05:13 AM
It looks like MadS doesn't look to previous post before talking!
Humhum!!! :D :D :D :D

Nevermind!

MadS
02-26-2002, 08:23 PM
What do you mean? Bout the eyes? I like to give visual feedback, ya know?

insanepoly
02-26-2002, 08:30 PM
Some more updates- this time with the eyes lowered. Much gratitude to those who managed to pinpoint what was wrong.

insanepoly
02-26-2002, 08:33 PM
Here's a buttshot, some more pouches and maybe a sword will be attached to the back as well.

insanepoly
02-26-2002, 08:36 PM
Another shot in full battle head dress.

pascal_blanche
02-26-2002, 08:36 PM
wow nice rendering, nice textures, nice job :D :D now to make it cooler you should balance your character with some big weapon, something that really push the general composition...

Totitch
02-26-2002, 08:38 PM
For Mads...

I mean that I sent the same picture 7 post before,but nevermind...
It's not a problem!

The important is that The_Hand works very well! ;)
Very cool stuff
Her "back" is beautifull!!! :D

MadS
02-26-2002, 08:47 PM
totich: Doh! I ddn't see your link. But I think in your rework, the head still looked too oblong.

Hand: Nice job! It's really coming together. Now if we could see her posed. I agree with Pascal that a a large weapon would really help counterbalance her slim build. It may, however, not be entirely realistic. Depends on your tastes.
I still think that ass could use a little more shaping around the bottom of the buttocks. For a warrior, her butt looks pretty weak.
A circular tattoo around her belly button would look nice too. ;)

AnimaLMotheR
02-26-2002, 10:08 PM
I have one question hand. What does the sign mean?

lildragon
02-26-2002, 10:21 PM
Very kewl, love the textures and the overall look of honor in this battle ridden character... one question what app do you use? and what does the sign mean? :)

also care to share any texture secrets? ;)

cheers

[msf]
02-27-2002, 12:09 AM
will I ever even get started learning lightwave when I spend all my time looking through the countless threads in the challenge sections of the forum :)

This work is all incredible, and cgtalk is definitely host to some of the sweetest 3d work on the planet.

My crit is the ass definitely needs a little extra jiggle added to it. Not alot of jiggle just a little jiggle. Also do you plan on animating it? If so the underwear may need a little editing on the back end to unless you she is gonna be pulling it outta her buttox every 5 minutes. Maybe make it a thong and tighten it up a bit?

Titan
02-27-2002, 12:48 AM
Just want to echo Pascal on his last post...great texture work man, I love it...
give her a weapon and a more natural pose and you 've got one heck of a portfolio piece...!!!:)

insanepoly
02-27-2002, 06:30 AM
pascal blanché- I have every intention of giving her a big mean looking spear.

MadS- thanks again for the facial advice, as for the butt- I kinda like the way it is, maybe I make it just a tweeny more fuller.

AnimaLMotheR- if you're talking about the symbol on top of the hat, its just a slightly modified radiation warning symbol.

lildragon- I used 3DS MAX and if you're referring to the tatoo on the forehead- its the word "wu" as in wushu (kungfu), I guess the nearest translation in English would be "martial". As for texturing, I just used Photoshop with lots of layers and custom brushes.

[msf]- I'll think about animation after the rigging, my least favorite part of 3D. As for the underwear, I'll have to rig it up and just tweak it along the way.

Titan- thanks, the rigging is gonna be a huge pain in the butt :)

Arlend
02-27-2002, 07:57 AM
VERY sweet textures, Nice modeling. I like it.
belly button looks alittle strange, but not bad.

Very nice work.

Arlend

pabbloz
02-27-2002, 03:08 PM
yes! the model is excelent! perfect!
but I hadn' seen the belly button but Arlend notice it and he's right... :D
It's a bit square.

What will be the next?

I suggest you a more transparent cloths :D :D :D!

pfoot
03-05-2002, 10:16 AM
Love the modeling!!! Very sexy!!! texturing is superb. SWEEET

insanepoly
03-05-2002, 08:08 PM
After being tied up with work for a few days, I've finally found the time to rig the character, now all I need is to model some weapons, adjust the lighting and a little bit of tweaking and cleaning and I'll be done. Here's a few test poses.

http://www.starhub.net.sg/~hand/images/fig001.jpg

insanepoly
03-05-2002, 08:09 PM
Okie, here's another one

http://www.starhub.net.sg/~hand/images/fig003.jpg

Vic3k
03-05-2002, 08:15 PM
this is nice, i like the chick, especially her face coz it really looks femanine with a sexy look (or just don't have a live and start holusinating to 3d chicks :rolleyes: ). also the boobs are good :)

Vic3k
03-05-2002, 08:16 PM
oh don't forget to shrink down her ears just a lil bit.

MadS
03-05-2002, 08:21 PM
I don't know why this thread has a rating of 3 stars. I think this character is excellent. Easily a 5 star model. This one is definitely in my top 5 favs of this contest so far. Well done! Now if we could just see her with some killer weapons!

YemYam
03-05-2002, 08:39 PM
I did my part to try and bump it to a 5, I totally agree this is excellent 5 star work. My only crit would be her skin is a little too uniform, but that may be a mute point once you fine tune and light. Look forward to the weapons!

Cgkoko
03-05-2002, 09:28 PM
Oh boy!:eek:

Here is a 5 from me alsow:D I admire you,great work!

pFodere
03-05-2002, 09:46 PM
wouuuhhh !! nice works of textures !
i like your background, and the girl have personality
she look dangerous ;)
very, very good, congratulations

AnimaLMotheR
03-05-2002, 11:32 PM
Outstanding model hand. :)

Cédric
03-05-2002, 11:37 PM
:'( amazing stuff ! I really love it. The textures are excellent :-D

Great stuff

parallax
03-05-2002, 11:51 PM
oh my. :eek:
that turned out quite marvelous.

insanepoly
03-06-2002, 06:46 AM
MadS- I guess its different strokes for different folks, but whats' important is I had a lot of fun doing this and it has helped to improve my skills. BTW I like where you're going with your character- very good muscle definition on the upper body and the "skirt" thing certainly gives it a very "cenobitish" look. Hope to see it in its completed form.

YemYam- I agree that the skin on the body is kinda uniform. I was getting some horrible stretching and warping in some areas, and running out of time, I decided to go with a uniform texture so the stretching won't be so obvious.

patrick Fodéré- its amazing how the pose and a slight tilt of the head can give it some much personality, the fact is I actually handn't had the time to model any morph targets for the face other than for the eyebrows.

Thanks guys for the support and keep the crits and suggestions coming... meanwhile its back to the slave pits for me:)

Transcendent
03-06-2002, 09:50 AM
The hand deserves a hand !!

(sorry, could not resist)

Titan
03-06-2002, 10:13 AM
great model...great texture work...

my only crit, and I'm being extremely picky here, is the belly button looks too deep, its completely black and doesnt feel quite right. I find that it stops my eye as I look at the overall piece....
but like I said, thats just being really picky, its a great piece !

I'd love too see a small walk cycle or animation sequence!:)
best of luck...

insanepoly
03-06-2002, 03:56 PM
Titan- let's just say the deep belly button could be due to genetic mutation caused by heavy radiation :)

Finally, two poses with the bigassed spear-

http://alshaheen.net/artists/the_hand/fig004.jpg

http://alshaheen.net/artists/the_hand/fig005.jpg

Also thanks to alshaheen for providing me with some web space to store some of these images.

Cédric
03-06-2002, 06:52 PM
I prefer the first one :D
Really a great stuff man,

see you on the next challenge :)

insanepoly
03-06-2002, 07:28 PM
A view of the back-

http://alshaheen.net/artists/the_hand/fig006.jpg

pFodere
03-06-2002, 08:50 PM
yes Man ! you are a monster ! WHEN YOU SLEEP ??

all new views are wonderfull !i like the weapons and i would like very much an choregraph animation (Conan or Tygra dixit)
but i now it' s too much work

:D

i hope to see your next challenge participation

YemYam
03-06-2002, 09:30 PM
Cmon people, this is beyond the shadow of a doubt 5 star work. If my sloppy mess deserves it certainly this does x10. I tried to add more votes but this dang thing won't let me! Very nice work hand. If you can't kick an animation at least give us a 360 render! :D

KOryH
03-06-2002, 10:13 PM
AMAZING.
I always feel dirty when I enjoy digital ass. I like it!

TwoFlower
03-07-2002, 02:50 PM
wow, the first post apocaliptic playboy central page...

what about a nude rendering ?

indeed, she wears a big hat - i think it's to protect is head from sun, but her skin is so white that she will take a sunstroke before sun go high in the sky.

what a flat butt, i understand why they wait apocalips to publish these pictures in playboy.. :)

sorry, don't like your 'hand'-made model - he don't have any originality..

you can pretend to be 'the_hand' in character modeling but no more than a left one and don't pretend do be more than 'the_foot' in character conception and design. :p

insanepoly
03-07-2002, 06:45 PM
Well, here it is, I guest this will more or less be the final pose for the challenge. Managed to tweak the belly button and also some of the more troublesome envelopes around the pelvic region. Also scuplted the first facial expression.

I need a rest...:D

http://alshaheen.net/artists/the_hand/ronin001.jpg
http://alshaheen.net/artists/the_hand/ronin002.jpg
http://alshaheen.net/artists/the_hand/ronin003.jpg
http://alshaheen.net/artists/the_hand/ronin004.jpg

bibi5000
03-07-2002, 07:02 PM
Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!

Could you also post her phone number?

pabbloz
03-07-2002, 07:31 PM
hahahaha! good comment! bibi5000! :D :D :D

the_(God's)hand, that's a very hight quality work! Amazing!

Only one thing? Isn't any floor? :confused:

urgaffel
03-08-2002, 04:03 AM
That is one of the best character models I've seen so far in this challenge. Now that you've fixed the bellybutton, I can't really think of anything that is amiss... Really sweet little female you've got there.

Damn you for making me want to know where she lives ;)

insanepoly
03-08-2002, 06:59 AM
Originally posted by bibi5000
Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!

Could you also post her phone number?

I don't think you would want that, I think she's quite pissed at me for giving her so little clothes to wear in a post-apocalyptic world that she might just want to kick some ass:D

l_farley13_l
03-08-2002, 08:39 AM
ahhh a thing of bueaty, put in my five star, but in not enough :)
Boy do I wish I had enough time, wait till this april though :D Absolutly fantastic I hope you post some quick tut on the texturing :) - not enough of those in PS

Amazed,

Farley13

insanepoly
03-08-2002, 03:12 PM
Just couldn't resist some final touchups and tweaking.

http://alshaheen.net/artists/the_hand/ronin005.jpg
http://alshaheen.net/artists/the_hand/ronin006.jpg

Here it is, I swear the finals...

Sangotten
03-08-2002, 04:37 PM
Awnsome man!
I think this final pose is really okay, but those textures are mindblowing! My compliments on your model!

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 01:39 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.