PDA

View Full Version : Ubisoft gets gov't protection backing from hostile EA

NimrodX
12-31-2004, 08:58 PM
Check it out!

http://uk.biz.yahoo.com/041230/323/f9e6u.html

Knotter8
01-01-2005, 01:05 AM
Yeah, I read it yesterday already. Good for Ubi I'd say. Vive La France ! Back off EA !

Ollarin
01-01-2005, 01:16 AM
Cool! Really good for UbiSoft! Hope more companies get protection from EA, before they finish the market off. :/

JeroenDStout
01-01-2005, 01:18 AM
Yay, the new year starts with a good thing! Woooooot!

Gods, not again John de Mol, he bough the football emition rights for the Dutch television - now, that at least cleans away the sport programs (luckly), but it gets annoying to see him buy a share or more of everything......

bleeper
01-01-2005, 01:30 AM
Crud, I was hoping to make some money if EA to bought them out.:sad: What a sucky start for '05:sad:

eks
01-01-2005, 06:00 AM
monopoly is bad. its a "loose - loose" game for everyone. and we don´t even have to go more than a century ago to remind us of that....

I was hoping to make some money if EA to bought them out.:sad: What a sucky start for '05:sad:

look at the long term, not at the short term...

eks

Gentle Fury
01-01-2005, 02:31 PM
thats awesome! I wish more companies actually had integrity!! Too bad Nothing Real couldn't have decided against selling out to apple...... :(

Paul-Angelo
01-01-2005, 05:56 PM
Good for them. I have always hated EA ever since they ruined Origin and the Ultima series by forcing the later ones to be released way before they were finished.

CArnold03
01-01-2005, 06:29 PM
Well, regardless of how this turns out, it won't motivate me to drop money on games from either company.

Hazdaz
01-01-2005, 06:37 PM
Well thats the problem with a company being publicly traded ... there is very little that you can do to keep from falling under the usual corporate BS of 'expand by acquisitions or die'.

I just know that if this was in the US, there is no way our government would stand in the way of a mega-corporation from swallowing up UBISoft, even if that caused a near-monopoly. I just HOPE the French government has more sense than we do here.

rendermania
01-01-2005, 07:06 PM
It would be an absolute horror if the game industry ends up like the U.S. media, where virtually everything is owned by a handful of companies like Time Warner, Viacom, Disney, Bertelsmann, and News Corp. Say yes to diversity, no to big monopolies is all I can say. I hope Ubisoft stays independent.

thesuit
01-01-2005, 08:37 PM
I think this affects us all...
if EA aquires Ubisoft it would be killing a good independent company to expand a giant moster, plain and simple. Even more knowing what the recent EA scandal revealed... we can only hope that the French have more common sense than other "pro-monopoly" governments. Disney's foam is going down thankx to Pixar, when is something like this gonna happen to the game industry? It's time to start raising the bar people...

GOTgraphic
01-02-2005, 09:35 PM
It would be an absolute horror if the game industry ends up like the U.S. media, where virtually everything is owned by a handful of companies like Time Warner, Viacom, Disney, Bertelsmann, and News Corp. Say yes to diversity, no to big monopolies is all I can say. I hope Ubisoft stays independent.Thats the problem of capitalism. Its good for many reasons but when capitalism matures, it wrecks havoc on the people.

People's integrity (stewardship and responsibility) is what supposed to keep things in check. After that its the government (but that shouldn’t be the case, but its what things have come to in the USA... which is just turning everything into a three-ring-circus-ocracy). So when the people go bad and run to greed (salesmanship and marketing) like a dog to vomit, then LOOK OUT! Remember the late 1920s?

SpiralFace
01-03-2005, 05:33 AM
To all Ubisoft employee's that brouse this sight, I wish your company luck in its bid for independence from EA. God's speed :thumbsup:

This is a trend I hope does'nt just end with Ubisoft. But I hope many other companys at least will concider goverment aid against large corperate buy out in countrys that support this kind of funding. (A question to those much wiser then me, Do American companys have this option of goverment aid against corperate buyouts or are all the smaller studios just little fish for the bigger fish to eat in the american market?)

thesuit
01-03-2005, 06:27 AM
This is terrible news for the industry... but then again, when I think about it, its also good for little new studios like mine, cause the big disney-like american huge monster corps are driving talent out of the US thus creating ramifications. I once heard a cgtalker whose name i dont recall say: (allow me to paraphrase since i dont remember it exactly)

"Let them Disneyfy, only Pixars will result"

Stonepilot
01-03-2005, 07:58 PM
Good job Ubisoft. Man, EA is really that ugly monster that we all fear and slowly begin to hate.

charleyc
01-03-2005, 09:24 PM
I am surprised at how the term American keeps getting interjected here. As if that has anything to do with a company attempting to grow by force.

I wouldn't consider EA to be like Disney. Disney shot themselves in the foot years ago, and Pixar really had nothing to do with that. They may have unintentionally led a discision, thought common im the US, that 2d is dying because they made the only successful animated films for Disney, and they were 3d.

EA was never THE game company in the world, Disney held that status in animated features in the early days and earned its reputation from that. While I was never a huge fan of Disney, it is unfortunate to see anything that was once good fall, no matter the reason. EA is trying this becauce they can. Most of their aquisitions were not done in a hostile way. Many chose to sell. If France feels it needs to protect its corporations, it is becasue of the exact same reason EA wants to buy it, the money it makes (or could potentially make). This does not equal greed necissarily, but the motive of all parties involved is to make money for themselves (that IS what companies do).

Also, the "corruption" within EA is hardly exclusive to them. From what I understand this is a fairly common trend in the game industry as a whole. The larger this company gets, the more the governments eye will be on them. EA's expansion could unintentioanlly make right many wrongs in the industry (at least in the US).

Finally, the US Government has laws to protect from monopolies, however, if there are still a decent number of competitors surviving in the industry, EA would most likely not fall into that catagory. EA is dedicated to making games. The companies they aquire no doubt have the opportunity to continue making them under EA's terms if they desire. There are far worse companies in the world then one that buys its compition and continues to provide jobs in the industry. There are companies that perform hostile take overs for the sake of parting out and selling off the pieces of the now non-existant company for the sake of monitary gain. EA isn't this sort of thing (yet).

One last note, the "US media" is hardly a US entity. The media corps of the world are on a rampant charge for globalization. Many of the largest media companies in the US are owned by people that are not from the US. This is so much an issue these days, that there are government (not only US) teams dedicated to studying and predicting where the media is headed. The lack of government control plays a very large role in political conflicts throughout the world. Countries are activly attempting to figure out how to play this new creature for its own benifit.

If I were the head of a smaller studio these days, I would take this kind of news as incentive to produce the best and compete, not as a doomsday message. Anyway, just my thoughts on this whole thing.

PhilOsirus
01-03-2005, 11:53 PM
EA was never THE game company in the world, Disney held that status in animated features in the early days and earned its reputation from that.
EA has been #1 for YEARS now. They are attempting to buy Capcom and possibly Namco as well as we speak. Disney was a world-wide monopoly, Microsoft is a world-wide monopoly, EA is now about to be a world-wide monopoly as well. Seeing a pattern here?

Hazdaz
01-04-2005, 12:09 AM
No offense CHARLEYC, but some of your thoughts above sound fairly naive when it comes to business on a large scale.

I am surprised at how the term American keeps getting interjected here. As if that has anything to do with a company attempting to grow by force. Your absolutely right that its not an exclusively American idea, however the US is MUCH more willing to let a company swallow up competition even if it is to the detriment of the consumer. When a company such as Microsoft - the modern definition of a 'monopoly' - is basically let off the hook, then there are obviously major problems with the US system. The EU is at the very least demanding MS take action and it is trying to lessen MS's monopoly (as difficult/impossible as that might be). The US system basically lets these mega-corporations do as they please, instead of trying to 'protect' the people its is supposed to be serving - the people of the US, not the corportions of the US.

One last note, the "US media" is hardly a US entity. The media corps of the world are on a rampant charge for globalization. The US media can be considered an "entity" because so much of it is controlled by such few players. Something like 80% of any/all kinds of media in the US that the average person takes in (movies/news/tv/newspapers/mags/books) is controlled by only 4 or 5 mega-corporations. That is exremely distrubing that so much of the media is funnelled through such a small number of outlets. Also these companies define the new type of "monopoly". Individually, they don't control a large enough percent of any one media for the government to technically call them a "monopoly" (and not like it would, since these companies contribute millions to political eletions). However these companies act less like competitors, and more like close associates when it comes to business dealings. Instead of them competing, and thus making a better product, they settle on the lowest common denominator and make sure that their products are 'just good enough', bringing down the quality of all media.

If you want to know what EA is trying to do (and so far succeeding in doing), just look at the US radio market. Clear Channel own thousands of stations througout the US.. they dwarf the competition. They "techically" aren't a monopoly, but in my market alone, they own atleast 4 of the 7 biggest stations. When there was a review of the FCC rules to see if they really were getting too big, Clear Channel had so much pull within the industry and government, that not only did it not get penalized, but infact was allowed to get even bigger. Now what has CC brought to the industry? Nothign but corporate-controlled (not locally controlled) stations that repeat the same 10 songs all day long. The quality of the programing has suffered tremendiously. Much of the local radio talent has been fired and replaced by corporate employees that do shifts on multiple markets. Along with that, the pay within the industry has gone down, cuz CC is so big that they are nearly the only game in town for radio employment.

I realize that this post is WAY the hell too long (sorry about that), but the pattern that EA is trying to do has been repeated soooo many times in the last +/-20 years in the US that I would think that more people would wake up to whats happening and how it is bad for the consumer (but admittedly VERY good for the corporation). Sure similiar things happen in other contries, but it is MUCH more prevalent in the US because of our "hands-off" (laize faire) attitude toward business (espesially in the last couple of years). And that only turns out bad for the average citizen.

SpiralFace
01-04-2005, 12:13 AM
I am surprised at how the term American keeps getting interjected here. As if that has anything to do with a company attempting to grow by force.

I wouldn't consider EA to be like Disney. Disney shot themselves in the foot years ago, and Pixar really had nothing to do with that. They may have unintentionally led a discision, thought common im the US, that 2d is dying because they made the only successful animated films for Disney, and they were 3d.

EA was never THE game company in the world, Disney held that status in animated features in the early days and earned its reputation from that. While I was never a huge fan of Disney, it is unfortunate to see anything that was once good fall, no matter the reason. EA is trying this becauce they can. Most of their aquisitions were not done in a hostile way. Many chose to sell. If France feels it needs to protect its corporations, it is becasue of the exact same reason EA wants to buy it, the money it makes (or could potentially make). This does not equal greed necissarily, but the motive of all parties involved is to make money for themselves (that IS what companies do).

Also, the "corruption" within EA is hardly exclusive to them. From what I understand this is a fairly common trend in the game industry as a whole. The larger this company gets, the more the governments eye will be on them. EA's expansion could unintentioanlly make right many wrongs in the industry (at least in the US).

One last note, the "US media" is hardly a US entity. The media corps of the world are on a rampant charge for globalization. Many of the largest media companies in the US are owned by people that are not from the US. This is so much an issue these days, that there are government (not only US) teams dedicated to studying and predicting where the media is headed. The lack of government control plays a very large role in political conflicts throughout the world. Countries are activly attempting to figure out how to play this new creature for its own benifit.

If I were the head of a smaller studio these days, I would take this kind of news as incentive to produce the best and compete, not as a doomsday message. Anyway, just my thoughts on this whole thing.
You bring up some great points that I Agree with. The only thing is that your right. EA was never THE game company. But their throwing their weight, and their wallet around in order to try to make themselves the 70's Disney of the Videogame Industry. And thats the problem. Their buying out smaller companys that trade stock to get individuals (Like the ones that invest in foreign medias.) to invest in THEIR vision of games that are inovative and still do well. But EA is takeing this opportunity in order to pretty much absorb them into their ever growing entity and force onto them THEIR way of making games. Which as you pointed out, is not nessesarily the Best way of doing things.

And this is scareing alot of smaller companys. And that is why I for one am happy that they took a stand against them. Yeah of coarse money is involved at the root of all of this. But when you look at the creativity of the product being made, thouse that opperate independently might not have the flashyest games on the market, but for the most part are always more creativly inspired then just the generic games that the name brand licences do.

EA wants Ubi for is Splinter Cell and Prince of Persia licenses. Thats it in a nut shell. But if they get absorbed by EA, I'll put money down that those two lines will be all thats left of that company and we probably won't see gems like "Beyond good and Evil" or even Experimental games like "XIII" get published ever again. EA is all about big licencess. And that is why I fear them getting ahold of Ubisoft.

SUB7NYC
01-04-2005, 06:07 AM
That sucks....

charleyc
01-04-2005, 09:29 AM
Phil "Osirus" - being #1 is not the same as being the only one. I feel EA is not really like Disney was.

Hazdaz - my point about the media was not whether it was an "entity" or not, but rather that I wouldn't exactly classify it as a US entity, but rather a global entity.

I am not trying to defend EA for what they are trying to do. And any company in Ubisofts shoes has reason to fear, unless they don't have a problem being bought out. I am trying to point out that this isn't an American only thing and probably not an attempt to gain control of the worlds video game market in order to produce crap. That setiment kind of knocks the many talented and passionate artists that currently work for EA. Also, I think France's concern here is that they don't want to loose a very promising and growing industry (espacially to a country they are currently at odds with). Nothing wrong with that, but it is a grasp at their own economic growth, not a stand on a global injustice.

Antonbomb22
01-05-2005, 05:43 AM
eugh! I hate EA so much!!! They make average quality games, nothing great and all the do is buy up studios so they can make as much as they can and make average and crappy games. They are continuing to control the market by acquiring companies thus becoming a monoply and no one to oppose and in the end becoming number 1. there should be a stricter control on companies and their size, companies such as Time Warner and Viacom should be de constructed because they are too large and will never give a change to smaller companies and allow diversity. In todays world you are either a small timer( and eventually die off) or part of a larger entity. I hope Ea doesn't get UbiSoft. Keep fighting Ubi because EA is just the big bully of the game industry.

strangelife
01-05-2005, 02:33 PM
I'll see you folks in the revolution!

CGTalk Moderation
01-20-2006, 08:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.