PDA

View Full Version : Oh boy... remember that cell phone virus? It's source is on the web now...

jeffthomann
12-31-2004, 12:28 PM
http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1759,1745949,00.asp

Anti-virus vendors are bracing for a deluge of new and potentially dangerous mutants of the Cabir worm on smart phones running the Symbian Series 60 software.

That's because the source code used to create the original Cabir worm (http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1759,1614794,00.asp) has been posted on the Internet by a member of an international virus-writing group.

Gentle Fury
12-31-2004, 08:45 PM
wasn't that a bluetooth worm?

Para
12-31-2004, 08:51 PM
wasn't that a bluetooth worm?

Yes it was. In case you didn't know, Bluetooth doesn't have any kind of REAL protection in it which makes it the most dangerous data transferring system in the world security-wise (in my eyes, this isn't official opinion of anyone else but mine). For that reason I've avoided everything that has BT technology incorporated in it.

Gentle Fury
12-31-2004, 10:26 PM
Yes it was. In case you didn't know, Bluetooth doesn't have any kind of REAL protection in it which makes it the most dangerous data transferring system in the world security-wise (in my eyes, this isn't official opinion of anyone else but mine). For that reason I've avoided everything that has BT technology incorporated in it.
Yeah but the good thing about bluetooth is that it is easily disabled. So if you actually care about the insecurity of it you can kill it when not in use. Course that means that you are totally vulerable when you are using it.

Firewalls for phones is next i guess..........lol

Andyman
12-31-2004, 10:58 PM
Next thing you know people will start blaming their exploding phones on viruses or something.

Gentle Fury
12-31-2004, 11:11 PM
Next thing you know people will start blaming their exploding phones on viruses or something.
I wonder if that would actually be possible......there have been lots of cases of the batterys exploding.....wonder if someone might actually make a phone virus that overloads the battery and makes it *POP*

We better stop.....might give someone an idea.

DevilHacker
12-31-2004, 11:13 PM
LOL, the source is available!
Now... I canít wait for someone to modify this so that it cashes the DS's, PSP's and N-Gage's... What fun! http://cgtalk.com/images/smilies/rolleyes.gif

But come-on, the Bluetooth SIG really needs to get there act together and make some sort of built in protection, because IMO this thing is just going to become more and more common.

DevilHacker
12-31-2004, 11:19 PM
I wonder if that would actually be possible......there have been lots of cases of the batterys exploding.....wonder if someone might actually make a phone virus that overloads the battery and makes it *POP*

We better stop.....might give someone an idea. Lithium batteries work by shuttling lithium ions between the anode and cathode of the battery. The anode (source of the ions and electrons) is elemental lithium (or a lithium-containing compound) and the cathode, receptor of the ions and electrons, is a material capable of accepting lithium ions into its structure. When a battery is discharged, lithium ions flow from the anode to the cathode, accompanied by electrons. This flow of electrons is electrical current and can be used to power portable devices such as laptop computers, and handheld devices such as Pocket PC's and Cell Phones. The battery can be charged by supplying an external electric current, which drives the lithium ions back to the anode. This charging process "resets" the anode and cathode so that the battery can once again power your laptop through a hectic day.

So in short I donít think it is possible to speed up the transfer on ions to the point of making the cell phone explode...

PS: For the record, I dont see the CG importance of this news post.

jeffthomann
01-02-2005, 09:58 AM
I hope you're right... but it may be possible that they get the cell phone battery sensor thingy to misread, making you charge more than you are suppossed to, which could lead to battery overcharge?

CGTalk Moderation
01-20-2006, 08:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.