PDA

View Full Version : Is Shake production over ?

TheM6
12-31-2004, 05:55 AM
Somebody knows if the production of shake is now over?

and Discreet (code named) TOXIC will be the next generation compositing software ?

I hope that Shake will stay alive!!!

ant-
12-31-2004, 11:16 AM
what on earth gives you that idea? Apple make shake, not discreet. And a new unproven(possibly turnkey system) would not pursuade thousands of studios to abandon a succesfully intergrated product. :shrug:

beaker
01-05-2005, 09:25 PM
They said the same thing about Nuke.

They showed shake 4 behind closed doors at siggraph so hopefully we will see it coming out soon.

Aneks
01-07-2005, 03:29 AM
did you get too see it Deke !?

Personally not holding out tremendous hope for apple and version updates. They seem to have been pretty lax in implementing new features and fixing old bugs. Three nodes in 2 years !?!?

:)

beaker
01-07-2005, 05:07 AM
Unfortunatly no I didn't.

We had a shake users group meeting a few weeks ago. The shake office is just around the corner so about 5 of the support, development, etc... guys were there.

They asked us why we didnt have many questions for them and everyone was like "all the questions we want to ask, you can't answer because of Apple's policy of not comenting on new products before they are officially anounced". We did get one really good comment out of them about shake 4. The head of Shake development said that he was monitoring the list of feature requests people posted on the shake listserve and that all he could say was that most people would be pretty happy with the new release.

http://www.highend3d.com/shake/archive/sp.2d?mail_id=6813
http://www.highend3d.com/shake/archive/sp.2d?mail_id=6974

Hugh
01-09-2005, 11:32 AM
That's good to hear, Beaker - I followed that thread quite closely, and was very interested in most of the things that were mentioned....

That said, I have recently partly implemented one of the feature requests myself (reference scripts)

beaker
01-10-2005, 05:47 PM
I have heard about the undocumented "commit" node, but I hadn't heard about the reference script. Please do tell :)

Hugh
01-11-2005, 08:03 AM
I have heard about the undocumented "commit" node, but I hadn't heard about the reference script. Please do tell :)
It's more a concept than an undocumented existing node....

Basically, it's the ability to have a node in your script that 'contains' a whole other script.... (and that changes when the script it's referencing is updated)

The way I've been going about it is having some 'null' nodes (one input, one output, information passed straight through) - one type that specifies where the input(s) to the script are, and one type that specifies where the output is. When you reference this script in your own script, the node that comes up has as many inputs as there are input 'null' nodes in the referenced script.

Ideally, I'd want it to work similarly to a macro node, so you can open it up and see what it's doing inside, but be unable to modify it.

Anyway, that's the idea.... It's semi implemented (I was working on Christmas Eve morning, and wanted something slightly different to do...), but is still very buggy....

beaker
01-11-2005, 04:32 PM
Ahh, this makes sense. This sounds similar to how the addtextfile and trackerimport macros work.

CGTalk Moderation
01-20-2006, 07:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.