PDA

View Full Version : Greek Government Bans ALL Computer Games.

dark_lotus
09-04-2002, 01:41 PM
This is a very disturbing report:

"The government of Greece is making heroic efforts to humiliate the nation in front of the entire world, by banning all electronic games. That's right; something as innocent as playing computer chess on your laptop in a hotel lobby is now a crime with penalties of up to three months in stir and a fine of 10,000 euros."continued... (http://theregister.co.uk/content/4/26939.html)

source: theregister.co.uk

lildragon
09-04-2002, 02:07 PM
:surprised

Chewey
09-04-2002, 02:40 PM
this might make computer greeks mad...

baby
09-04-2002, 02:41 PM
?!?!?

Grey
09-04-2002, 02:46 PM
At least we know how they really feel :D

acidboy
09-04-2002, 03:04 PM
hmmmm....so restrictions are imposed on the people because of the government's stupidity\lazyness :argh:

lildragon
09-04-2002, 03:20 PM
Originally posted by acidboy
hmmmm....so restrictions are imposed on the people because of the government's stupidity\lazyness :argh:

Ah the world over my friend, the world over....

My theory has always been and always will be until I'm proven wrong...

"Aliens do exist, we call them the government"

If they're controlling us, who's controlling them?

Chewey
09-04-2002, 03:26 PM
Just throw water on them?

Headlines, "Governments(aliens) dissolved by H2O!"

hehe, it worked in that movie "Signs"...
;>

Indolent
09-04-2002, 03:31 PM
Say what you will about the American Government. It's self-serving, it's greedy, it's corrupt, it's foreign policy is a joke.... but at least they let us have our games. God bless America. :p

lildragon
09-04-2002, 03:42 PM
LOL!!! :D

Chewey
09-04-2002, 03:45 PM
Originally posted by Indolent
Say what you will about the American Government. It's self-serving, it's greedy, it's corrupt, it's foreign policy is a joke.... but at least they let us have our games. God bless America. :p

Since none of that seems to matter to you other than the ability to play games you'd be just as happy living anywhere else but Greece.

Such lofty concerns.

Indolent
09-04-2002, 04:37 PM
It was said in jest, sir. Don't make anything more of it than what it was, which was just a joke. Settle down.

Chewey
09-04-2002, 04:46 PM
Said in jest but innapropriate just the same. Couching your political views within a weak attempt at humor is quite the transparent technique. Try a different approach.

This isn't the right forum for taking cheap political potshots.

lildragon
09-04-2002, 04:50 PM
easy guys, what's done is done, let's move on... ;)

salud!

Chewey
09-04-2002, 04:55 PM
Perhaps when the next weak joke/attempt at humor involves some other government we'll all try to be so accomodating and lenient.

xynaria
09-04-2002, 05:36 PM

ROFPML... many a true word said in ..jest LOL :D

gabe28
09-04-2002, 09:29 PM
Chewey,
You've compelled me to make a very rare forum statement on politics. One of the very important things that distinguish the United States from many other countries is that we have the right to bash our government whether it's in jest or total seriousness. People can and should question and critisize the elected authority when they find it at fault. That is just as patriotic as all the stars and stripes 'God Bless Amrica' stuff.
-Gabe

icedeyes
09-04-2002, 10:05 PM
I am greek and I was blown away when i saw a poster of a net cafe that wrote that playing games in public is illegal... I was blown away... I don't get it... If you are greek or can speak greek, go to www.netcafe.gr and vote against this law... It is so ****in ****ed up that this law doesn't allow you to play games in your mobile phone in public... It is insane.... ****ed up government....

icedeyes
09-04-2002, 10:08 PM
It also has an english paragraph that has the whole article of the specific law... Go check it out... You will laugh your guts out.. This is a parody...

ilasolomon
09-04-2002, 10:24 PM
hoof!, & Greece is in Europe & a democratic country, strange....& awefull. how strange is that the first democratic country in the
world (ancient repoblic of greece) is the first one that composes
such a law...even in iraq or afganistan people are allowed to play
game in public!!! :annoyed:

Chewey
09-04-2002, 11:14 PM
Originally posted by gabe28
Chewey,
You've compelled me to make a very rare forum statement on politics. One of the very important things that distinguish the United States from many other countries is that we have the right to bash our government whether it's in jest or total seriousness. People can and should question and critisize the elected authority when they find it at fault. That is just as patriotic as all the stars and stripes 'God Bless Amrica' stuff.
-Gabe

Gabe, how courageous of you to point out the obvious while missing the point. I'm not surprised.

The Time Serpent
09-04-2002, 11:20 PM
dont you get it ppl? the greek goverment doin it for money cuz now games will be more expensive because they are illegal.....:twisted:

gabe28
09-05-2002, 12:17 AM
Chewey,
LOL!!! Is that why you went back and changed your post? Yeah, it is kind of hard to follow your point if you keep changing it.

Chewey
09-05-2002, 12:19 AM
hehe!! Take your pick of my posts and you've missed the point either way.

xynaria
09-05-2002, 12:21 AM
Methinks anyone going on a message board who thinks they have some *cough* kind of right to even think they can tell people what to do or where has missed the point. :)

Chris
09-05-2002, 12:24 AM
c'mon guys, you know what they say about arguing on the internet.... :p

gabe28
09-05-2002, 12:26 AM
Chewey,
Your point didn't seem that cryptic to me. Maybe you missed MY point. I'm not surprised.

Chris
09-05-2002, 12:27 AM
... s' kinda like the special olympics....

Chewey
09-05-2002, 12:27 AM
Originally posted by xynaria
Methinks anyone going on a message board who thinks they have some *cough* kind of right to even think they can tell people what to do or where has missed the point. :)

how about the mods?

Hey xynaria, kiss my pointed $#^#*(^%#

lmao!

Chris
09-05-2002, 12:34 AM
... even if you win, your still retarded... :D

gabe28
09-05-2002, 12:36 AM
Chris,
LOL. Good point. I'll quit this argument now before it gets even more absurd. I don't like political arguments anyhow. It's not like you ever change anyone's opinion.

xynaria
09-05-2002, 12:41 AM
Chewey... the mods nor admin didn't noticeably find a problem with Insolents post...only you. End of story ok. :D

Indolent
09-05-2002, 02:04 AM
Hey! The name's INDOLENT, dammit! InDolent! Geez! hehe.. Oh, and Chewey, you're right, I'm sorry, I never should've even joked that the American Government is anything less than squeaky clean, with the best interests of the American public at the forefront of each and every thought in the hundreds, if not thousands of minds of the immensely diverse individuals who contribute to the control of* --- ok, now THAT was a run-on sentence if I've EVER seen one. hehe. *pets chewey* It'll be ok.. it'll be ok....

Oh, and one more thing that I feel is very relevant to the issue at hand... I'm completely naked, right now. That is all.:wip:

xynaria
09-05-2002, 02:41 AM
Damn.. I knew I should have flipped back the pages... sorry Indolent.. apologies etc. :)

Chris
09-05-2002, 02:47 AM
dont apologise to him, hes naked! :argh:

xynaria
09-05-2002, 02:48 AM
LOL :beer:

Chewey
09-05-2002, 03:21 AM
Originally posted by Impotent
Hey! The name's IMPOTENT, dammit! I'm SO IMPOTENT!!! Geez! hehe.. Oh, and Chewey, you're right, I'm sorry, I never should've even joked that my head is anyplace else than far up my stinky butt, with the best interests of the American public at the forefront of each and every thought in the hundreds, if not thousands of minds of the immensely diverse individuals who contribute to the control of* --- ok, now THAT was a run-on sentence if I've EVER seen one. hehe. *scratches his butt/head * It'll be ok.. once you get past the smell....

Oh, and one more thing that I feel is very relevant to the issue at hand... I'm completely gay and out of the closet, right now. That is all.:wip:

at least you're proud of whatever it is you're babbling about.
;>

sarfarazsoomro
09-05-2002, 09:34 PM
Originally posted by Chewey
at least you're consistant.
;>

i've seen this guy always involved in useless arguments over this board..what u r trying to say chewey..mr.wise guy...are u the one:hmm: :thumbsdow :thumbsdow

and if u r an adult try to act like adults..these posts reveal ur immaturity or u r a stubborn child?

arvid
09-05-2002, 09:48 PM
Just throw water on them?

Headlines, "Governments(aliens) dissolved by H2O!"

hehe, it worked in that movie "Signs"...
;>

arrrggh you're lucky i allready saw that movie, you can't just go around posting spoilers like that man!:scream: :D

Chewey
09-05-2002, 09:49 PM
sarfarazsoomro, So you're having a hard time understanding discussions?

Do you find that statements like this one,

"Oh, and one more thing that I feel is very relevant to the issue at hand... I'm completely naked, right now. That is all"

easy to comprehend?

If so there's not much one can do to help you out.
;>

Thanks for adding real substance to the discussion.

p.s. why not put out a little effort and spell your words out of consideration for the rest of us?

Chewey
09-05-2002, 09:50 PM
Originally posted by opacity
arrrggh you're lucky i allready saw that movie, you can't just go around posting spoilers like that man!:scream: :D

yikes!! Sorry, my bad.

sarfarazsoomro
09-05-2002, 10:13 PM
spell my words out of consideration for others!!

wat u think i m ???

and sometime feels like CHEWEY is a mime in written form...and thas not over,...... a mime so ill in his profession!!!

Chewey
09-05-2002, 10:48 PM
Originally posted by sarfarazsoomro
spell my words out of consideration for others!!

===yes that would be good!==

wat u think i m ???

===other than being sarfarazsoomro I haven't figured that out yet, maybe simply incoherant?===

and sometime feels like CHEWEY is a mime in written form...and thas not over,...... a mime so ill in his profession!!!

Well I suppose we can all play with others screen names if we felt like it and since you've done it it must mean it's an adult behaviour. Maybe if I work hard at it, I can find something of humor in your name. Might be difficult since sarfarazsoomro is a pretty common name.

ok, so if you really don't feel it a reasonable request to spell your words out of consideration for the rest of us, how about just translating your thoughts into something some of us can understand? I have a feeling that you're saying something really humorous!

;>

sarfarazsoomro
09-05-2002, 10:55 PM
aaaargh damn it ....who said i was playing with ur name...just wanted to say that i don't get ur posts...thats wat happen when u look at a bad mime...now u get me??? so wats humorous????

Chewey
09-05-2002, 10:57 PM
I did. wats humorous?
Aflack.

ilasolomon
09-06-2002, 12:11 AM
republican. :rolleyes:

Indolent
09-06-2002, 12:23 AM
See, now that's just mean. :p

chillfillan
09-06-2002, 12:29 AM
Man, I guess I'm not moving to Greece afterall..........

Chris
09-06-2002, 12:35 AM
whats that got to do with this arguthread? LOL :) :airguitar

Chewey
09-06-2002, 12:44 AM
Originally posted by ila_solomon
I'm a member of the republican guard. :rolleyes:

aren't you iranian? The republican guard is iraqi.
fyi, there is no persia anymore, farsi foo!

ambient-whisper
09-06-2002, 01:00 AM
:argh:can you guys settle down a bit??
dont make me come over there..:wip:

Chewey
09-06-2002, 01:02 AM
Because I've been a butt head, I'll tell you how that last statement was irrelevant, Chewey. It's a corncept known as homor. My lightfarted gay brand of comedy. I can say my open orifice can hinder one's sense of homor. That last sentence was an example of another cornholin corncept known as spasm, by me, a fay.
Oh, and since you like things being spelled out for you, you might do well to spell my gay name "impotent" correctly from now on. You know.... im po tent the gay poo poo baby
But enough of this poop talk, let's be gay! *kiss* :love:

Oh yuck!!No thanks(I guess) but you go right ahead girl!

gotta love that sophisticated inbred Georgian "humor" by our buddy "Impotent". What a world!

Chris
09-06-2002, 01:06 AM
whooooo!

ambient-whisper
09-06-2002, 01:23 AM
edited a few posts due to request. but im thinking of removing this thread all together. its gone down the drain since the beginning.. shake hands and play nice or thread gets it :)

Chewey
09-06-2002, 02:15 AM
Thanks Ambient!

Indolent
09-06-2002, 02:46 AM
pfft... he started it... :scream:

Chewey
09-06-2002, 02:51 AM
wrong, I finished it, O wee lassie of the realm of the edited.

(Pats lil impotent on its pointy stub of a head.)
there there now, it'll be alright!

rotflmao!!

Indolent
09-06-2002, 02:59 AM
See, I try be friends and you resort to name calling... *shakes pointy head.*

derelict
09-06-2002, 03:59 AM
Is it over all ready?

Awwwww man... i just when and buy me a burger! :scream:

Damn.:p

sarfarazsoomro
09-06-2002, 06:38 AM
hah..i went to sleep and it calmed down..or it might would have been some thing else..:rolleyes:

anim8r2
09-06-2002, 07:42 PM
Yikes! :eek: What a thread.

...So... ...uh... they banned games in Greece, eh?
You might as well outlaw everyone between the ages of 4 and 50.

(Sorry about changing the subject.)

Chewey
09-06-2002, 08:18 PM
Originally posted by anim8r2
Yikes! :eek: What a thread.

...So... ...uh... they banned games in Greece, eh?
You might as well outlaw everyone between the ages of 4 and 50.

(Sorry about changing the subject.)

here's the other thread with the same topic

http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?threadid=19884&perpage=15&pagenumber=1

it just devolves in a different manner. Bottom line is that it appears the story is a bit overblown as so is the hand wringing.

ilasolomon
09-07-2002, 06:01 AM
hey republican, are you from CLOWNs squad?

dark_lotus
09-07-2002, 06:50 AM
You guys are absolutely pathetic.
You turn a simple news thread into a squabbling arguement that spans 4 pages.

Geesh get a grip. Save that stuff for private messaging.

And on a relevant note:
I guess there'll be no 2004 Olympics Video Game. :D

Chewey
09-07-2002, 07:11 AM
hey I'm a republican guard member, are you from the farsi mod squad?

How can an iranian be part of the iraqi army?

GRMac13
09-07-2002, 11:04 AM
Anyone know when the latest edition of Pong is going to be released in Greece?

Chewey
09-07-2002, 03:52 PM
heh! I'd guess they've outlawed the pong version where you hit fruit back and forth instead of the virtual "ping pong" ball.

I'm just guessing though. Maybe we'd be better off letting one of our friendly men on the scene report back.

How about we send George Stephanopolos over there to find out?

GRMac13
09-07-2002, 05:24 PM
How about we send George Stephanopolos over there to find out?

Hmmm, I dunno if that's such a great idea, I mean Michael Dukakis was there campaigning and was pelted to death with peaches. He was running on a platform of "fruit reform." Odd folk them Greeks.

ilasolomon
09-08-2002, 06:25 AM
we have a proverb in Farsi that says:
"javab e ablahan khamooshist." *
i'm surprised that you are so interested to non-cg related matters
& making enemy here & there! you are also a Lier.
no more reply from me,, i'v spent too much time on this.

sarfarazsoomro
09-08-2002, 09:06 AM
ILA_SOLOMON....i think have put a terminator to this thread.....but who's the fool:hmm: :hmm: :hmm: :hmm:

EDIT: I love farsi ..........

Chewey
09-08-2002, 03:47 PM
Originally posted by GRMac13
Hmmm, I dunno if that's such a great idea, I mean Michael Dukakis was there campaigning and was pelted to death with peaches. He was running on a platform of "fruit reform." Odd folk them Greeks.

Too bad Mike didn't have his tank along for protection!

Chewey
09-08-2002, 03:58 PM
we have a proverb in Farsi that says:
"He with the name of Solomon eats dog poop for dinner." *
i'm surprised that i'v spent too much time on this.

Is it a Farsi custom to use name calling to engender friendship and foster understanding? Odd how you fall prey to the use of such a device and yet you seem to be so sensitive and humorless. Sorry but all the typing of other people's (albeit questionable)wisdom doesn't detract from the fact that you possess little if any of your own.

He who resorts to careless, assumptive pejorative name calling and ad hominem has lost. (fyi, read your posts in this thread if you can't recall your own behaviour) Shame on you!

But good bye and farewell my silenced farsi friend. Enjoy your dinner.
;>

Indolent
09-08-2002, 08:33 PM
He who resorts to careless, assumptive pejorative name calling and ad hominem has lost. (fyi, read your posts in this thread if you can't recall your own behaviour) Shame on you!

Look who's talking. You spread negativity and get arguments started on damn near every thread you contribute to.

xynaria
09-08-2002, 08:46 PM
Chewey, 80% of this thread has become you wanking your somewhat oversized ego. Quite frankly, I'm surprised this thread hasn't been locked. Get a life. :(

Chewey
09-08-2002, 09:34 PM
Talk about flawed math!

Chewey
09-08-2002, 09:39 PM
Originally posted by Impotent
Look who's talking. You spread negativity and get arguments started on damn near every thread you contribute to.

That's more hyperbole and goes to show that your ramblings have close to no credibility.

Well, ms. single digit poster maybe I should just use your favorite line, "just kidding!"

All better now?

Indolent
09-09-2002, 02:54 AM
That's right, keep stroking your worthless, overinflated ego. I'm sure you only acknowledge "credibility" manufactured by yourself, anyway. Thanks to you, this topic has essentially devolved and obscured into that of a pointless "I'm right, you're wrong" argument. Well done. I see you've got a few other threads headed in that direction as well. As for "Just kidding"... oh please... don't feel obligated to explain yourself to a lowly "single digit" poster, such as myself. I need no explanation. Heh.. "hyperbole." Weak. :rolleyes:

Chewey
09-09-2002, 03:06 AM
Lighten up on the bitterness.

lol!