PDA

View Full Version : Spielberg's Transformers robots to hit the screen

ZEROSKULL
12-31-2004, 12:27 AM
Sydney December 28, 2004 2:09:16 PM IST

Maverick film director Steven Spielberg is set to bring one of the toy phenomenons of the 1980s to the big screen, generating a booming adult collectors market for the robots known as Transformers.

According to The Advertiser, the 'Jaws' director has announced that he will follow next year's 'The War of the Worlds' with a live-action tale of the mechanical heroes who disguise themselves as cars, trucks and jets.

Spielberg's announcement has prompted people in their mid-20s to seek out the original Transformers toys, and they are prepared to pay thousands of dollars to rekindle their childhood memories.

Susan Wardle of the Toy Collector at Ingle Farm said that adult buyers had made Transformers one of the store's most popular lines.

"The big buyers are people aged 20 to 24, the people who were kids when the toys first came out and still remember them. There's always a strong interest in them and whatever we get in stock sells pretty much straight away, especially the early, hard-to-get stuff," the report quoted Wardle as saying.

Stephen Jesson, who runs the web site theyareamongus.com, said that many fans were building on the modest collections they had as children.

"In my mid-20s I spent thousands of dollars on Generation One toys (but) I sold my entire collection so I could go around the world debt-free," he said.

"I like to unwind not by cracking open a beer but by breaking open the odd toy and escaping to a place full of fun and imagination - no matter how childish that seems to some," added Jesson. (ANI)
http://www.webindia123.com/news/showdetail...56835&cat=World (http://www.webindia123.com/news/showdetails.asp?id=56835&cat=World)

SpiralFace
12-31-2004, 01:12 AM
Did'nt Tom Hanks apparently said something about a Transformers movie a while ago? But then people realized that it was all just crazy speculation.

No offense to the site or anything, but I simply can't beleave Web India 123 will have news like this BEFORE any of the other movie websites out there like imdb.com. Which shows his next Directoral Production as being a film called Vengeance. Not Transformers.

SpiralFace
12-31-2004, 01:28 AM
ooops....

I'm wrong....

I guess he does have a transformers film on his plate. He'll be executive producer on an Untitled one due out in 2006. NOT after War of the Worlds though.

AndyH
12-31-2004, 02:27 AM
Jesus christ!! Ive heard a lot about live action transformers movies, but spielberg doing it?? This has gotta be some sort of joke!
Its like getting ridley scott to direct a live action care bears movie!

Ill believe it when i see some pictures....

mmkelly011881
12-31-2004, 02:35 AM
cheee... kchooo kchooo kchooo kheee (transformers "transforming" sound)

Lord3d2
12-31-2004, 02:57 AM
Guess Indy IV wont exist.

Watch this

http://www.iesb.net/video/hanks.wmv

funny video of Hanks thinking about being part of the transformer movies

mmkelly011881
12-31-2004, 03:27 AM
hahahaha... that is pretty good

Lord3d2
12-31-2004, 03:58 AM
I bet Tom will have a cameo or do something with Steven.

They are good friends and have colaborated on so many films.

KevinKraeer
12-31-2004, 06:27 AM
I hope this doesn't come at the expense of Indy IV.

Sometimes I wish I wasn't so into movies; normal people don't even know that Indy IV is 'in the works'. Let alone Transformers.

Let's stop for a moment. Is Indy IV for real?

rootdown
12-31-2004, 10:37 AM
Er. When did Speilberg become a "maverick" film director?

Tirjasdyn
12-31-2004, 06:09 PM
Live action...ew...reminds me of power rangers.

And one other question...20-24yrolds? nunh...I'm 28, They were the best toys for kids around my age too...

BRUTICUS
12-31-2004, 07:42 PM
yep im 29, and yes Spielberg is executive producing the film but I haven't heard anything about him directing it. ALthough id be glad to hear it.

Transformers has an amazing storyline. The producer has mentioned that he was shocked to find out that Steven Spielberg knows everything about the mythos.

malducin
12-31-2004, 08:56 PM
I coud believe Exec. Producing but not directing. If anything it would be posted on the Hollywood Reporter and/or Variety.

DAZZAN
12-31-2004, 10:33 PM
I remember this had come up a little while ago,and as i remember dreamworks had aquired the rights to the movie.Spielburg would do his exec prod job,with Robert Zemekis directing,this would be a cg live action gig.

If any of you know how the directer Zemekis is with effects he would apply some groundwork in cg technique before going into what looks to be a 200 mil movie.

Oh... i suppose he has had a little work recently hasnt he ?

Cool CG robots in disguise anyone!

BRUTICUS
12-31-2004, 10:37 PM
That article sounds like its coming from someone who's either misinformed or is trying to imply that Spielberg is directing the movie and thus misinform any reader.

DAZZAN
12-31-2004, 10:48 PM
Take it from me..its gonna be summer 2006

Lucas finishes 3,hes gonna put his efferts into indy4,the deal Speilberg & Lucas got on indy was amazing.

It could well start him up on ep 7.

Bugger

SpiralFace
01-01-2005, 01:15 AM
not just that. But even on IMDB the thing is'nt even in Pre-production yet....

Which in my book means that the movie is only a pipe dream at the moment. Yeah it might be on his plate, but the "Untitiled" part of that line also implys that there realy is nothing more then his own personal interest in doing it. He's got so much on his plate that theres no telling what he'll want to do in 2006. And Speilberg is one of thouse directors / producers that CAN drop projects and do whatever the heck he wants. So I'm not looking a thing more into this untill someone says that they've reached a decision about this thing and finaly put it into pre-production.

NanoGator
01-01-2005, 02:45 AM
Jesus christ!! Ive heard a lot about live action transformers movies, but spielberg doing it?? This has gotta be some sort of joke!
Its like getting ridley scott to direct a live action care bears movie!

I don't understand the Ridley Scott reference. Transformers actually has some pretty strong scifi underneath it. I'd love to see Spielberg tackle this one.

CaptainJackSparrow
01-01-2005, 04:59 AM
I'd like to see more original spec sci-fi scripts made in Hollywood myself, not just all this digging up old cartoons and sticking a generic plot in them. Is Speilberg that bankrupt of ideas? First World of the Worlds and now this, honestly, make some original!

NanoGator
01-01-2005, 11:59 AM
I'd like to see more original spec sci-fi scripts made in Hollywood myself, not just all this digging up old cartoons and sticking a generic plot in them. Is Speilberg that bankrupt of ideas? First World of the Worlds and now this, honestly, make some original!

Eh. I understand your sentiment, but in this case I don't really agree. Original is not automatically better. Transformers, however, has a strong mythos that has really strong potential in a more serious genre. The question is: Will Transformers be taken seriously, or will it be more like Scooby Doo. If they're aiming to do the latter... well then yeah, I completely agree. I don't want to see a live-action version of this cartoon. I want to see something dramatic and thoughtful.

Color me biased, though. I *really* enjoyed the animated movie. I'd love to see something like that with a more adult theme.

Frank Lake
01-01-2005, 04:57 PM
Yeah it'll have to be treated as a 'Scoobie Doo' type of movie, shallow and very brainless. I just can not see it turn into anything else. The designs will be from the lastest demographics, so that alone will drive away alot of G1 and G2 people. :hmm:

BRUTICUS
01-05-2005, 06:50 PM
I been waiting for this movie since '84 so it better not follow the scooby doo route.

Boone
01-05-2005, 07:45 PM
I can see the teaser trailers right now...

1) Imagine a camera shot by a road side - and parked up is a racing car. Normal traffic is whizzing by etc, etc...then when the road is clear - The parked car transforms into Jazz and...and...urrr....

2) A car( most likely Jazz, again ) will be bombing along at a rate-of-knots, pursued by a fighter plane( most likely Star Scream! )...One trying to out do the other! No?

3) Imagine one of those "you've blocked me in - move that piece of **** now!" situations. And when they kick the car( guess who! ) - it transforms into an Autobot!

...okay, okay...lame, I know. :sad: I think this movie is gonna rock.

paintbox
01-05-2005, 07:54 PM
Think of it, no one has done a movie about giant robots from space that transform (hmmm maybe some B-movie perhaps ;)

If done properly, and go for the realistic look and feel, with a believable story line, it would make a great thing to watch
The difference could be as Conan the Barbarian I and II. The first was by written and directed by Oliver Stone. The second was written by the comic book writers. While the first still is watchable, the second is meagre in story and completely outdated. While in the first movie you really follow the character and symphatize with him to some extend, in the second your watching events unfold and you think 'I couldn't care less'

It's all in the story and believability ...it isn't called make-believe for nothing.

Boone
01-05-2005, 08:02 PM
Re: PaintBox.

SHUT-UP-MILHOUSE! :twisted:

( Punch, Punch, Smack, Punch, Smack, Smack, Punch, Punch! )

...Seriously - you are quite right about Conan. :cool:

DAZZAN
01-05-2005, 09:43 PM
Think of it, no one has done a movie about giant robots from space that transform (hmmm maybe some B-movie perhaps ;)

If done properly, and go for the realistic look and feel, with a believable story line, it would make a great thing to watch
The difference could be as Conan the Barbarian I and II. The first was by written and directed by Oliver Stone. The second was written by the comic book writers. While the first still is watchable, the second is meagre in story and completely outdated. While in the first movie you really follow the character and symphatize with him to some extend, in the second your watching events unfold and you think 'I couldn't care less'

It's all in the story and believability ...it isn't called make-believe for nothing. Sorry Paintbox, I understand your pointand agree, but Conan The Barbarian was directed by John Milius,who is at the momment still trying to get King Conan off the ground,also he helped write one of the best and gripping monologe speeches of all time: JAWS - Quint speaking to Brody and Hooper about the USS Indanapolis tragedy.

vfx fan
01-05-2005, 10:25 PM
I doubt that Spielberg directing is going to be true. And it's debatable about whether or not it will be live action, but I could picture this as an Imagemotion "Polar Express"-type deal... with Tom Hanks playing five Transformer characters (if he is involved)! ;)

Apparently, according to IMDb, McG is making a "Hot Wheels" movie (how frightening! :eek: ). So is a "Transformers" movie exactly something we really want?

I think I'd stick to making a really morbid live-action "Barbie" movie! :twisted:

Fasty
01-05-2005, 11:17 PM
Go here and tell the producer (Don Murphy) your hopes and dreams for this movie, and read about where it's up to and stuff from the horses mouth.

http://www.donmurphy.net/board/

nickepstein
01-06-2005, 11:54 AM
i know a bunch of people who would love to work on this if its done right (i.e. not another thunderbirds) - anyone know anything about who might have the vfx? probably too early for that perhaps...

Acree
01-06-2005, 05:33 PM
i know a bunch of people who would love to work on this if its done right (i.e. not another thunderbirds) - anyone know anything about who might have the vfx? probably too early for that perhaps...
Making it like thunderbirds now thats a scary thought.

Honestly I have seen a poster for this recently and it looks ok I just hope it lives up to the original idea of Transformers and not change lie with thunderbirds. (no offense to anyone who actually likes thunderbirds).

CGTalk Moderation
01-20-2006, 08:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.