PDA

View Full Version : Noah's Game

AlexK
12-30-2004, 04:12 PM
Hey guys,
I posted this in the Messiah forum too (http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?p=1849200&posted=1#post1849200), so you might already have seen this.
I finally managed to upload our first short done with Messiah:Studio. It is quite old by now (finished in July), but I thought I'll make it available anyway so there is one more video to fill these "Hey why doesn't anyone show any animations done with Messiah?" themes that seem to pop up once in a while.

Remember it was the first thing we did with Messiah so there are definitely some things that I wouldn't do this way anymore. :D

The model was re-used from another short done with Maya. It was modeled in Lightwave, but due to the changed design it was completely remodeled (I think the only thing that stayed the same was the base head, blendshapes where re-modeled).
All the rest was done in Lightwave or in Wings3D. The only texture used was for the ball, the rest is pure Messiah shading (with a little help of some alpha masks for the short and shirt which were one mesh).
Rigging, animation and rendering took place completely in Messiah:Studio 2.0 with only two post effects (when the ball vanishes and the goalie gets hit).
The MotionBlur is so low because it was a test to get typical cartoon blurs. You know like the animators drew several phases of the motion to get a blur effect? This and the effect of Speed Lines (LagPoint works quite nice for that once you get it working) were used. Sometimes the effect is a bit too strong, especially in close-ups, but now we know that, too.

http://www.babylondreams.de/transferstuff/messiah/noahsgame.png

The speaker is the German sports reporter Herbert Zimmerman commenting the last minutes of the world championship 1954. This game is known also as the miracle of Bern in Germany (they made a movie about it).

Get it here http://www.babylondreams.de/movies/NoahsGame.avi. It's in Xvid format so any DivX- or MPEG-able player should play it. Hope you like it.

Any comments are welcome.

HenningK
01-02-2005, 07:31 AM
Get more than one light in there.
The run cycles are all pretty funny.
The jumping and landing and kicking and impact shots need more weight.
Es macht sehr spass (note: sometimes I try to write German, but I know very little).
I like the character's stylized musculature.
-henningk

AlexK
01-03-2005, 02:57 PM
Get more than one light in there.
Funny you say that. It is a classic 3 point light setup and an additional area light (if I remember correctly). Why do you think there should be more light in there HenningK?

Thanks for you critique HenningK. We appreciate it very much.

HenningK
01-03-2005, 03:36 PM
Well, the shadows are all gray and muddy or else black. Shadows should be tinted blue on a sunny day, shadows on his face should be reddish, and there should be green bounce light up from the grass. Most of all no part of the character is gonna be in complete, black shadow on a sunny day.
Come to think of it, it would be easier to fix in the ambient colors of your shaders than in the lighting setup.
-hen

AlexK
01-03-2005, 06:04 PM
Well, the shadows are all gray and muddy or else black. Shadows should be tinted blue on a sunny day, shadows on his face should be reddish, and there should be green bounce light up from the grass. Most of all no part of the character is gonna be in complete, black shadow on a sunny day.
Come to think of it, it would be easier to fix in the ambient colors of your shaders than in the lighting setup.
-hen
I watched the downloadable version again and must confess the Xvid codec has darkened the piece quite a bit. It is much lighter originally. Take a look at this thread (http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?t=152990&highlight=skin). There I posted a skin test. That screenshot is more like the original light intensity. Anyway, the green light is missing, that's right. I remember I added one, but didn't use it (don't remember why as this lies way back in April or May or something).

HenningK
01-03-2005, 06:32 PM
Well, it looks from that thread like you know what you're doing lighting and shader wise, better than me perhaps, because your shader flow graph mystifies me. I apologize for assuming you were a beginner. I just know it doesnt look too good in the render I've see.
-hen

seankeeton
01-19-2005, 10:13 AM
He needs more light on his face when he ties his shoes. He is really stiff when he moves. The spine doesn't seem to move side to side and the hips and shoulders don't really rotate. I'm a big fan of giving characters plenty of weight, so I would put more up and down action in the hips when he moves.

S-M
01-19-2005, 11:29 AM
nice, idea from geri's game?

CGTalk Moderation
01-20-2006, 06:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.