PDA

View Full Version : Ninjai Chapter 7 is now available

lildragon
09-04-2002, 10:57 AM
the saga continues ;)

http://www.ninjai.com/chapter07.php

Myzery
09-04-2002, 11:26 AM
This is awesome, this is what we all been waiting for! :D Ninjai 4-evah!

Myzery
09-04-2002, 11:32 AM
Oh my god... The new chapters of Ninjai SUCK more than anything have ever sucked before.

RobinOberg
09-04-2002, 11:53 AM
is it just me or is there alot less action in the newer chapters?
plus they have removed some of the bloodier scenes in the previous chapters...

TheInsomniac
09-04-2002, 12:02 PM
Ok that was the best damn thing i ever seen. The animation is great. And seriously, that chapter didnt need acton. AT ALL.
The little bird made me sad.

gKay
09-04-2002, 12:32 PM
is it just me or is there alot less action in the newer chapters?

what's disturbing me, is that the story of the newer chapters is not so fluid as the original 5. It somehow seems to stuck on that death-scene which is a bit annoying. they seem trying to hold up the tension...

but despite the story: the animation, design and ambience of ninjai kicks ass..

Da_LeAf
09-04-2002, 12:40 PM
AHRG ... this can't be, what a cliffhanger:scream: . Can't wait to see how he's escaping ...

lildragon
09-04-2002, 01:00 PM
It's called suspense guys, and this was one very well played chapter, if you all weren't so stuck on blood & guts you'll understand what the ninjai gang is doing with their story telling.

Myzery: can you elaborate on how it "sucks"? I'm curious to hear your thoughts...

Very nicely played, the emotion, the sentiment, the ninja clan's realization of who they're actually serving. Awesome storytelling. Kudos!! :thumbsup:

Goon
09-04-2002, 02:56 PM
Mnmmm.:)
Those rock.:buttrock:
The story surpasses the great animation easily.

undoz
09-04-2002, 03:01 PM
verry nice :buttrock:

facial
09-04-2002, 03:07 PM
Nice stuff, keep post.:applause: :applause:

Gamoron
09-04-2002, 04:17 PM
this thing is
g
o
i
n
g

D
O
W
N
fast. I didn't feel a thing at the end. I just wanted it to end.

BORING. For a character to be tragic you gotta have a character that breathes and that kid is just boring. So much wisdom and so much blah!

Ral1978
09-04-2002, 04:26 PM
I just cant get pass the little kid beign a ninja and he kicks butt, it just plainly sucks, i admit the flash animation is great and the story is good too but that stupid kid, c'mon, change it.

Chewey
09-04-2002, 04:31 PM
First time I've visited the Ninjai site.
I found the episode a bit slow and ultimately boring but I did like the look of the piece.

Still not interesting enough for me to make a visit the next time they release something new.

lowkey
09-04-2002, 06:09 PM
well, i simply can't agree to the criticism people uttered about this beautiful piece of art ! :shame:

this is just pretty plain gorgeous ... animation, sound, whole atmosphere's totally immersive and deep ... IMHO that's what elaborate anime should feel like !

:thumbsup:

Chewey
09-04-2002, 06:22 PM
Then for you it appears that your concern might be style over substance. It looks good but the story is a bit of a snoozer. They need to tighten it up a bit at least in terms of pacing. Much too slow.
The story/skit is a tad weak in my opinion.

But like I said earlier, it looks good. If I were a Flash programmer I'd probably appreciate the craftsmanship that went into making it all work like it does. But none of that matters when you ultimately sit down in front of the presentation and wait for the story to work. The audience expects entertainment. And if all you're doing is trying to impress the techies then I suppose you'll find a few that end up giving praise for the effort.

Style over substance? It's a bit like being attracted to a good looking but dumb blond Canadian woman. Guess you can't have it all.

;>

NightFox
09-04-2002, 06:31 PM
Bah..you people complain about how the last chapters suck. Do any of you watch DragonBall Z? huh? I bet you think that show isn't very slow at all... hehe.

The last two chapters were great. Animation has gotten a lot better as they've gone on with the chapters. Now we're in the part of the story line where you get more emotionally invested into the characters. Before it was just talk-kill-end of chapter. Suspense is a great thing when done properly and the Ninjai gang are doing very well with it.

It's all about storytelling, you can't just have action 99% of the time and not give some insight into the characters, care for them at all. What would be the point then if all you're doing is just action? It wouldn't be a good "show" then. Because then you'd complain : "All this action is boring, it's the same old stuff. They're recycling it all."

I just watched Signs again. It's definitely going in my DVD collection.

Chewey
09-04-2002, 06:40 PM
heh, maybe if all we had to compare it to was "Dragonball Z" we might agree with you.

way ssssllllloooooowwwwwwww pacing.

NightFox
09-04-2002, 06:44 PM
yeah.. 52 episodes for DBZ... for one season practically. lol

But Ninjai here, they're pacing themselves like a good storyteller should. Can't have TOO slow on your storytelling.

slaughters
09-04-2002, 07:13 PM
This is the first chapter I have seen of Ninjai and I admire the professionalism of the mood evoked in chapter 7.

BUT

I think we saw the exact same scene of the lizard tugging at the flesh of the Ninjai's neck at least 3 times. My suggestion is to vary the lizard activity more. Don't show the same repetative action more than twice.

The suspense of the water emersion was nice, but my sense of believability lapsed when about 5 minutes or so (in character time) seeem to go by *after* his head was totally under the water. Have the bird start flying up prior the Ninjai's head being totally submerged in order to keep me from wondering what kind of mini-sub or aqua-lung Ninjai has secreted under the water that allows him to continue to breathe. Heck, just give him a thin reed or a blade of staw that can be poked up out of the water.

If the intent was to show that he is using some sort of Jedi/Ninja beath control/trance trick to stay down so long, then do something to prepair the audience for this. Some chanting, yoga, deep breathing, etc... as he is being lowered into the water would do the trick nicely.

lildragon
09-04-2002, 07:32 PM
On the contrary his character shows incredible restraint, he refuses to struggle after the master mentions it. You can sense the concentration from his trembling facial features, also look how his concentration switches to focus on the bird, in the past episodes they created a bond, for that scene pay attention to how he tries NOT to show the bird he's in pain, look at the smile and how he speaks to the bird...

You have to go deeper than what's on the surface here to truly grasp what's going on... This is what makes it memorable, it conveys thoughts/emotions, this is great storytelling IMHO...

lild

HapZungLam
09-04-2002, 07:38 PM
Oh no, Ninjai is being killed......

HapZungLam
09-04-2002, 07:43 PM
hum, i've read some of you guys posts. I have the same feeling about that.

Well, i won't use the word boring. But this is such a great character(the design and stuff) but the story line can be alittle better than that.

I mean, there has a lot of things that they can "express" more, show more, get the audiance more feeling about Ninjai.

For now, I just don't know what is he doing here (Ninjai, just walk around all around and kill ppl. His living is no purpose)

This characteristic just being more shown in the newer chapers. But seems suddenly everything went too fast. now he is dead...

Chewey
09-04-2002, 07:52 PM
Originally posted by lildragon
On the contrary his character shows incredible restraint, he refuses to struggle after the master mentions it. You can sense the concentration from his trembling facial features, also look how his concentration switches to focus on the bird, in the past episodes they created a bond, for that scene pay attention to how he tries NOT to show the bird he's in pain, look at the smile and how he speaks to the bird...

You have to go deeper than what's on the surface here to truly grasp what's going on... This is what makes it memorable, it conveys thoughts/emotions, this is great storytelling IMHO...

lild

I think you're reading more into this than it merits. Much ado about nada as they say. And yes, a story can be too slow and this stretching out seems to be just killing time to fill a given episode length requirement.

Kurosawa this aint!

lildragon
09-04-2002, 07:56 PM
Originally posted by Chewey
I think you're reading more into this than it merits.

Indeed I can be, but isn't that part of it? I dunno, I just see more than what's being presented, maybe it's all those years of kung fu films that's rotting my brain :p

Ral1978
09-04-2002, 08:38 PM
Here, take that little kid out and put this guy in.

RobinOberg
09-04-2002, 08:54 PM
i'd say that the complete dvd will rock your bum... :D

RobinOberg
09-04-2002, 08:59 PM
Originally posted by HapZungLam
hum, i've read some of you guys posts. I have the same feeling about that.

Well, i won't use the word boring. But this is such a great character(the design and stuff) but the story line can be alittle better than that.

I mean, there has a lot of things that they can "express" more, show more, get the audiance more feeling about Ninjai.

For now, I just don't know what is he doing here (Ninjai, just walk around all around and kill ppl. His living is no purpose)

This characteristic just being more shown in the newer chapers. But seems suddenly everything went too fast. now he is dead...

tha later episodes are really bad compared to the first ones. in the first ones you got to know that he is looking for someone, and that he kills anyone who is in his way of finding that person.

could be that im a little Ninja Scroll fixated, or that ive watched too many hk actions and martial arts movies. but, i love the character design and animation of this, its just that story wise i could have a lot better...

googlo
09-05-2002, 12:10 AM
Oh, but it's not sad for the insects that the bird traumatizes and eats each day! What about their lives in their own world, to them the bird is a horrible creature, ruthless and cruel destroying and tearing apart families!

Nikodemus
09-05-2002, 12:25 AM
:buttrock: Ninjai! ... cant wait to see what happens next.. this "show" is really top quailty.. from the drawing/animation/story/ to music... great stuff !
:airguitar :thumbsup:

Matt Parker
09-05-2002, 01:29 AM
First i must say that i love ninjai...they inspired me to get into 2d animation..which led to 3d...so really they were one of the major influences that led me to 3d art........

However, i do agree, the story really isn't that great. The drawing (characters and scenes) and the animation is superb....but like one person said..to the guy at home watching..the tech stuff doesnt' matter..all they want is entertainment......

Mainly i just think the whole story line really has no structure.... Just a kid walking around the desert "searching for someone"...i guess at least they gave the audience that much..but they really could go more into his past and really what the hell he's doing. That's just what i think.

Regardless of everything, ninjais still great in my book!

Matt

Gentle Fury
09-05-2002, 06:10 AM
This series has matured so much as each chapter is released!! I for one thought the first couple chapters were rather poor, not much story, the animation wasnt all that great.......pretty amature, but the last 2 chapters were AMAZING!!! It was like half way thru 6 they really got it! 7 is a work of art! The animation has gotten to be top notch, perfect mouth movements now, lots of killer shading going on! This has become some really porfessional work! I CANT WAIT to see what happens next, then get the dvd when its all said and done :)

nx01
09-05-2002, 07:18 AM
Technically it's very well done. Style is great.

However, I have to agree that the story is just getting boring and boring. Matt Parker saids most what I think is the problem there. The emotional investment in the character now is just flat. I agree the beginning epsiodes are great. Now it is running itself to the ground. Whoever is writing the story, it sucks now.

Its' like any given major blockbuster movie series. First movie is great. Then comes part 2. part 3. part 4....goes straight to video...great special effects, great style, design...but no more story

Stop before they drive it into the ground anymore for god's sake!

levius
09-05-2002, 12:26 PM
I just saw it from 1 to 7 and I think the story is OK. Maybe if you watch only 1 chapter it could be boring, but I think Ninjai has enough story compared to short playing time the chapters have.

I am looking forward for next one :thumbsup:
(I hope he is not eaten yet)

Chewey
09-05-2002, 01:39 PM
Yep, I'd have to agree with Matt.(who agrees with me!)

;>

Myzery
09-05-2002, 02:26 PM
lildragon - Weeeell, the animations, design and atmosphere is top notch but that DO NOT make a story!

I'm a big fan of Ninjai but the new ones try to hold up the tension as said before.

TheInsomniac
09-06-2002, 02:06 AM
Dude i've seen them all....and the 7th is BY FAR the best.......whats wrong u miss all the killing? go kill a squiril....

*******************WARNING********************
By all means the statement written above is not to be taken personally. And please dont kill squirrels, unless they try to kill you.

Cadillacs57
09-06-2002, 03:52 AM
i like the animation in ninjai, i guess that if i try to do that im in big troubles.
i like the scenarios and the story :thumbsup:
thanks good that is not soooooooooooo slow to keep going on the story like DBZ, they spend like an entire month fighting!:thumbsdow

One Eye Red
09-06-2002, 09:11 AM
hmm, can't understand why the boy has a brittish accent...

Chewey
09-06-2002, 03:18 PM
maybe he's a gaijin ninjai?

RobinOberg
09-06-2002, 10:57 PM
Originally posted by One Eye Red
hmm, can't understand why the boy has a brittish accent...

youve seen too few martial arts movies, all great movies are dubbed with stupid voices. ;)

RobinOberg
09-06-2002, 11:13 PM
Originally posted by TheInsomniac
Dude i've seen them all....and the 7th is BY FAR the best.......whats wrong u miss all the killing? go kill a squiril....

*******************WARNING********************
By all means the statement written above is not to be taken personally. And please dont kill squirrels, unless they try to kill you.

who havent seen them all, they were so good in the first episodes that you just had to keep watching. and if you didnt like the killing in the first episodes you should have taken that as a warning and stopped looking at the sequels.

episode 6 was enough of talking and suspense, two episodes in a row of that is just too much. i cant say im a the thriller type of person, unless its thinking thriller like "13th floor". and i can say right now that episode 7 didnt contain alot thinking, they just trhew him into the swamp and that was it. ok the bird tried to make up for telling the bad guys where he was so that they could capture him, but he didnt really succeed in helping him at all.

and usually in a series you would get some kind of progress or upgrade, but neither soundtrack nor story has had any kind of improvements since episode 4-5. the graphics on the other hand has been getting a little better, although a lot less action in it so it doesnt really matter.

ninja movies dont do well with thriller, its just like thrillers where nothing happens. action/thrillers, sci-fi/thrillers or drama/thrillers are ok. ninja/triller doesnt work. ninja/action on the other hand seems to work almost all the time...

if they want ninjai to stay as a ninja and not a samurai they should skip the drama part as much as possible, they could make another series with that kind of story instead.

most people are probably disappointed of the story in the latter episodes cause in the first episodes they were introduced into a world of ninja-killers and comedic-thugs, in a series the first episodes are like the pilot and if you dont like the pilot there will be no more sequels. the people who didnt like the killing and blood in the first episodes was probably not supposed to keep watching the other episodes, thats why the first episodes were so bloody.

if youve seen the first episodes just recently though, you may be able to stand tha blood and keep on watching cause they remade them so that there were alot less blood in them... :(

Great series though, its not something i will stop watching as long as its free :)

E_Moelzer
09-07-2002, 02:37 AM
I have to say that I have been a fan since the very first episode (still uncut version, I backuped luckily). But I also want to admit that I was a little disappointed by the last 2 episodes. To many questions kept unanswered. "why was Ninjai unharmed by that wasp- thing (that we have seen killing a man in episode 5)?", but still was captured by thehis foes.
Episode 7 could have brought the story a bit further. I got the impression, that they should have told a little more in that episode, or better, it should have been part of episode 6 in much shorter form. Still Ninjai is cool and I hope they will continue the series for much longer. BTW, I think that it is the best flash- stuff I have ever seen. Until I saw Ninjai, I did not know one could actually use flash for anything else, but webpage- design...
Anyone else here likes the music?
CU
Elmar

urgaffel
09-07-2002, 09:10 AM
Am I the only one who thinks the animation quality is shaky?

Sometimes the animation is gorgeous, sometimes it looks like ASS.

A very minor thing that was annoying was the way they made scene where they walk and you have this nice painted background that is immobile. Then you have these small stones made in flash floating past giving the illusion of movement. It ****s with my head! If I look at the background it's static, but the stones move... ;)

The music is nice though, they've done a good job with that. Can't say I like the voice for Ninjai, and those horrible american pronounciations of japanese names... *shudders*

Overall it's a well made piece though, no doubt about that.

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 04:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.