PDA

View Full Version : Birth From Clouds

Eyern
12-30-2004, 02:20 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v480/IronPriest/CloudsExtendedSmall.jpg

Yep, stupid name, couldn't think of a better one at this point. Anyways, this is my frist post, I just started painting and stuff, and I got a Graphire for xmas and this is the first and only thing I've used it on as of yet. I did this painting for a few reasons, a. to learn clouds, b. to get better at shading, and c. to get better at human figure. At this point I'm happy with the clouds, but the human figure, obviously not so much. What you see at the top is supposed to be a male torso and chest. I can't do the arms more than a few lines without them looking to long or short or just weird. I want them to be outstrected horizontally. I'm also (obviously) having troubles with the head. I want the head to be facing upwards, with the chin also pointing up, so the head it back, but I'm finding this really hard. I can't see how to do little details because whenever I get the brush smaller its always brighter and looks weird. In later versions I plan to make the cloulds more detailed and also to get the clouds out of that triangle shape because I noticed it looks like its an old fasion dress, those huge kinds. Anywho, any help or critiques would be extremly appreciated.

(I know that this doesn't really compare to, well, anything else here at this point, so I don't really need huge critiques pointing out everything wrong, just general tips or suggestions. Hopefully after a lot of practice I'll be able to stand a chance compared to anyone else :))

StylusMonkey
12-30-2004, 07:04 AM
welcome to the forums, my advice to do something complicated like that is to first work out a compositional sketch, fill in the values, then finally the colors.

also, depends on which programs you are using.

Eyern
12-30-2004, 08:44 AM
Using Photoshop 7, sorry forgot to mention. Thanks for the tip, I'll give it a try.

Eyern
12-30-2004, 10:20 AM
Updated:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v480/IronPriest/CloudsExtendedc1Small.jpg

Wow, that worked alot better than I thought it would... Thanks a lot :) Okay so at this point it still looks like some kind of muscular dancer or something so I've got to change the clouds so they don't look like a dress, the body is a bit splotchy so I might do that, obviously I've still got the head and hands, and than I'll go over everything and try to detail it up.

Eyern
12-31-2004, 01:44 AM
Update:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v480/IronPriest/CloudsExtendedc2Small.jpg

I think the body looks a bit better, more cloudlike, but still the light looks awkward. I tried to make the clouds look a bit less dress-like, and I also added a teeny tiny bit more of a purple to the non-illuminated clouds

supremo
12-31-2004, 01:54 AM
Looks like you're getting the hang of the new toy!

Preliminary sketch is great advice. If you're not already doing this I'd also recommend using some references since you said you're having trouble getting proportions right. Have a friend stand in the pose you need or even just find some pictures of the male anatomy off the net.

I know it helps me out just to have similar images open next to my WIP just to get some ideas and not stall out.

Keep it up, I'm interested to see what happens next.

Eyern
12-31-2004, 07:56 PM
Before I can get to any of the other stuff, I'm stuggling with another problem. First of all, I know at this point it looks like a blob with two logs sticking out, my sketch had more detail but I'm finding it hard to incorperature the details in. Also whenever I try to make the edges tighter it always looks weird, but most clouds arn't really that hazy. What do you guys think I should do?
Heres comparison:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v480/IronPriest/CloudsCompare1jpg.jpg
Thanks

Edit: Oh, I figured out something I was doing wrong with abs, I was trying to color on the outlines of them, not the abs themselves, just a small note.

ajay1589
01-01-2005, 06:56 PM
image B looks more cloudlike...work more like that

BeatKitano
01-02-2005, 08:01 PM
image B looks more cloudlike...work more like that
B is more cloud-like but I like style A better. I give more "consistency" to your character.

supremo
01-03-2005, 05:27 AM
I'm thinking you should stick with your "Birth from the Clouds" theme and combine the two styles you have there. Start at the bottom with the cloudy style and then have him solidify as you go up. You could even use some color at the top of his body if you're creative with it!

Eyern
01-03-2005, 08:49 AM
Hey thats a great idea! I could have it build up with color until the thrown back head. Thanks!
I decided I'm going to draw the arms down because up is too awkward a pose IRL. I'll have to do a new sketch and find my moms anatomy book. Hehe, I was using one on the first one too, its just you could only really tell on the sketch.

Eyern
01-04-2005, 02:54 AM
Ger. I'm tryin to do the arms are running into the same problem, looks like to logs. Heres a picture:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v480/IronPriest/comparecloudsmall.jpg
A. This is with the sketch. It at lease looks arm-esque at this point.
B. Logs sticking out of chest.
C. Slightly sharper logs.

What am I doing wrong? Or what should I try at this point? Thanks much

supremo
01-05-2005, 05:02 AM
I could be misreading your intentions but it looks like your cloud-guy's left arm (the one on our right) and that shoulder is higher - leading me to believe that side is closer to us than the other. With that perspective, his chest would be shifted to our left and you'd see more of his side. Right now it looks flat because the perspective isn't quite there.

You could try to use more value and contrast to add definition to the arms. I think overall you have a tricky piece to really learn how to do accurate anatomy on - the fuzzy edges don't lend to that kind of exploration!

Don't give up though, you've got a great idea here and some cool work already!

Eyern
01-05-2005, 07:22 AM
Uck, I just tried to redo this, looked worse than ever. I'm going to drop this WIP for now I think, until I know anatomy more. In the mean time, perhaps I'll try something... solid :)

StylusMonkey
01-05-2005, 07:47 AM
Uck, I just tried to redo this, looked worse than ever. I'm going to drop this WIP for now I think, until I know anatomy more. In the mean time, perhaps I'll try something... solid :)
Good idea, walk before you can run. Try sketching the human anatomy until you memorise all the major muscle groups, you'll be surprised how quickly it comes.

Just having a look at your image, I can spot numerous items that need to be better defined:

- traps and collar bones need to be better defined
- the delts are odly shaped
- pec insertion into the delts are not defined
- biceps not defined
- tris not defined
- brachialis is non existant
- pectorals are proportionally way too large
- no serratus definition
- no ribcage definition
- no obliques
- lats are not properly defined
- forearm insertion points and proportion are incorrect

Eyern
01-05-2005, 08:35 AM
Well, I tried to avoid it, but it looks like I have to in-depthly study my anatomy book, rather than looking and pictures diagrams and tiny notes :) Looks like all this was too much too handle, so for now I'll stay to sketchings and non-human art, I still need to practice shading a lot, which originally was the point of this.

CGTalk Moderation
01-20-2006, 08:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.