PDA

View Full Version : Need advice in finishing setup...

Boone
12-29-2004, 09:28 PM
I've been bevering away at creating a character for my first demo reel, but I've got to a point where despite alot of effort - I still feel the overall character is going to fall apart like a house of cards...if you see what I mean. I'd really like to get a job as a character rigger this year, but really have little idea as to what is an acceptable rig...

I was wondering( hoping ) if there is someone here who would be kind enough to take a look at what I have done so far, and basically be ruthless and point out where I have gone wrong.

If anyone would like to take a shot at it, I can send the file via e-mail attachment.

Thank you all kindly. :deal:

seven6ty
12-29-2004, 09:50 PM
Go ahead and mail it to me and I'll let ya know what I think. I'll be out all day, but should be able to get to it later tonight if you'd like:

seven6ty@hotmail.com

anthonymcgrath
01-04-2005, 12:29 PM
yeah same here - ant@ant-gfx.co.uk :)

Atwooki
01-04-2005, 12:32 PM
Send me a copy, Boone - I'll give it a quick look too :)

Atwooki

Morganism
01-06-2005, 04:25 AM
Sure, I'll take a look too, if you like.

shamonsflame
01-06-2005, 04:53 AM
If you need more opinions I can spare some love for ya! We all need help!

Boone
01-06-2005, 05:53 PM
Re: Shamonsflame.

Then, Good Knight - I shall have your e-mail address! :cool:

Which is...? :shrug:

Boone
01-06-2005, 05:56 PM
I've have only had a reply from Seven6ty...just wondering if my mails were not recieved? Knowing me, I most probably sent them off to the wrong addresses... :sad:

shamonsflame
01-07-2005, 05:50 AM
no worries. click on my avatar and then click the "email shamonsflame" link.

Me109
01-07-2005, 06:13 AM
i don't mind having a look..

anthonymcgrath
01-07-2005, 08:29 AM
Hey Boone
sent you a coupla emails last night. looking good :D
You should put a url up to allow every1 to download the file that fancies a look. They can also post up their advice on this thread - that way everyone can have a play then read peoples suggestions and advice :)

ant
newcastle
uk

shamonsflame
01-11-2005, 04:48 AM
Like mr. anthonymcgrath said above, looking good. To me the only things that need work is the hand and jaw manipulation controls. And if you want to get detailed, breathing controls. What you have so far looks clean to me. How detailed do you plan on making the characters motions?

Morganism
01-11-2005, 05:23 PM
Hey Boone, I replied to the e-mail that you sent me a couple days ago...did you not get it? I can try to send it again maybe....

EDIT:
Or I could just post it here if you want

Boone
01-11-2005, 06:26 PM
I'd just like to say that for those who have ventured into this thread - THANK YOU! I'm already in the process of correcting my rig. :cool:

Re: ShamonsFlame.

Cheers, mate!:beer:

Re: Morganism.

Nope! It may have gone in my junk/spam folder...in which case, I would not have seen it. So feel free to post it here! :thumbsup:

seven6ty
01-11-2005, 07:31 PM
So tell us about the ideas/plans for the updates. :)

Boone
01-11-2005, 10:29 PM
Re: Seven6ty.

Funny you should ask, as over an hour ago I found a solution to my spine, neck and hand rotation problem! I shall try and make this as simple as possible...

The problem is that of using a seperate object to "connect/rotate" it's "slave joint". The worst part was that the rotation axis of the object and joint weren't aligned correctly...this is where a little trick using the "orient constraint" came in handy! :bounce:

First, I selected the joint - then the object. Then I made the orient constraint( this aligns the object to the joint's axis). Immediatly after, I removed the constraint( the object keeps it's alignment to the joint! Cool!). Then you select them the other way around( object THEN joint) and use the orient constrait once again...

THEY WORK!

...however, if you try to freeze the object - the joint adjusts itself putting the whole thing in shambles! :argh: To get around this, I shall make a quick mel script so that you can basically press a single button and the rotation values will go back to their starting pose values.

Also, the second part of the problem was attaching the object to the joint so that they can move acordingly...I found a way round this one as well! If the object controls the rotation on a joint - parent it to the joint above it in the hierachy!

Not exactly by the book - but it does the job very well...I cannot believe how easy it is to control the spine now! Goodbye Mr SplineIK! :cool:

I'm now also aquainted with the hypergraph and it's node system. In a nutshell, all controls will be properly parented to a root-node, and LABELED :blush: correctly!

I shall link my updated rig in a few days( most likely Sunday...).

Thank you all, once again! :beer:

Morganism
01-11-2005, 10:54 PM
Hey Boone, I sent you a new e-mail, hopefully to the right adress this time. By now maybe you've already heard all the critiques I could give you though. Anyway, let me know if you get it.

...however, if you try to freeze the object - the joint adjusts itself putting the whole thing in shambles! :argh: To get around this, I shall make a quick mel script so that you can basically press a single button and the rotation values will go back to their starting pose values.

Yeah, you don't want to freeze transforms on your controller objects, because that will mess up it's orientation. To get it's values back to zero you can copy all it's values, group it, apply those same values to the group. Then when you zero out the controller object it will be in the same place but nice and clean. A quick way to copy the values into another group is just to duplicate the controller object, and then delete it's shape node, which gives you an empty transform which is essentially a group with the same transform values. Just parent it under that and watch those values dissappear!

Boone
01-11-2005, 11:01 PM

Oh, wait a minute - I did actually recieve that e-mail( your e-mail reminded me of how important organisation is)! I must have replied to the wrong address! :argh: Sorry, dude!

I shall definitely give that suggestion a try - I'LL DO ANYTHING TO GET OUT OF WRITING A DAMN MEL SCRIPT! :deal:

seven6ty
01-12-2005, 02:11 AM
Damnit. Morganism beat me to it. Grrr!

Morganism
01-12-2005, 04:32 PM
I'LL DO ANYTHING TO GET OUT OF WRITING A DAMN MEL SCRIPT! :deal:

Yeah....I used to say that. You'll give in some day, and then you'll never look back. I've barely started using MEL and already I don't know how I lived without it.

Boone
01-12-2005, 05:40 PM

After four years of programming in C++...MEL is damn odd! :argh:

Still, I made my own mel script that allows me to perform the most commen tasks quickly... :lightbulb

seven6ty
01-12-2005, 06:56 PM
Damnit, I need to learn C++. I thought MEL should be easy compared to C++, isn't it sort of loosely based off of it?

Morganism
01-12-2005, 07:56 PM

After four years of programming in C++...

Well, then you've definately got me beat. :) I'm just learning from scratch, and so it's even more odd. The only other language I can compare it with is english.

Boone
01-13-2005, 06:17 PM
Re: Seven6ty.

Oh, no - you have me all wrong, my good fellow! Lets just say that when you've been programming in C/C++ for four years, trying to adapt to a new language means breaking a few habits...and I can tell you for nothing that it involves looking back at the basics every minute or so. I FEEL LIKE DAMN ROOKIE! :cry:

Ah, MEL is actually easier than C++ by very long shot...and as Seven6ty asked - it is actually closer to "C" than "C++". To cut a long story short, C++ requires more attention on memory managment and cleaning up... :sad:

Actually, I say this now just incase I can return the favour for the help I have recieved. If anyone here would like help in learning C/C++, I'm only a PM away! :beer:

Boone
01-13-2005, 06:20 PM
BTW - I've spent the day modifing my rig, and so all I have left to do now is clean up the legs & feet IKs, and basically tidy up the hypergraph. :bounce:

CGTalk Moderation
01-20-2006, 07:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.